Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

will i still lose weight?

Does it matter what I eat as long as the portions are sensible and I work out? or because im so fat will this mess me up? the reason I ask is because I don't want to unravel all of my work so far and im not going to eat junk everyday but im curious and I cant be satisfied with salad and a smootie 365 days a year

im 5'8'' I weigh 325 and im female and 27 y.o. im allowed 1850 cals a day

I tend to take in 500- 800 calories for ALL of my meals for the whole day and burn off at least 500-750 cals at the gym ( I do an hour of the treadmill , 15 min on the elliptical and have now incorporated 35 min of strength/lifting for muscles) I normally eat fruit and veggies and lately ive been bad with regular food but not portion size. I tend to go to the gym at night after ive eaten any meals. I drink water.

but for the past few days ive eaten 800-1300+ calories but I still work out. is It ok to eat normal or junk food in sensible portions and still work out? will I still lose weight? I plan on continuing to eat healthy of course and I keep track of calories

im not saying Im going to eat pizza and soda and dairy everyday - ive just taken a break the past few days because of stress and cravings but I didn't go overboard with portions

Replies

• sammcneil
    sammcneil Posts: 10 Member
    at 325 lbs i would say to really focus on cutting out as much as you can handle.

you cant quit everything cold turkey or youll go insane.

Its important that you stay focused on your goal, and eating junk food is never really a good thing to put in us.

find some foods you can really really enjoy that are moderately healthy. there are so many foods that you can play with.
  • Are you saying that your total caloric intake for the average day is under 800calories before working out?
    Because if that is what you're saying that is why you are craving "normal" food, because your body is starving. If you're saying your average meal is 400-800 calories with a total over 1200 for the day after adding in workout calories then, go for it. I had Taco Bell for dinner last night, I budgeted it into my allowance for the day and shoveled a chalupa in under a minute flat after work. So long as you allow for the calories of junky food you'll be fine, so long as you're eating enough calories to lose at all.
  • at 325 lbs i would say to really focus on cutting out as much as you can handle.

Its important that you stay focused on your goal, and eating junk food is never really a good thing to put in us.

find some foods you can really really enjoy that are moderately healthy. there are so many foods that you can play with.
    [/quote

this is the worst ive been in a couple of months and I NEVER go over my daily goal. it usually says im way under my cal goal and yes I wont make junk and evrtyday thing, I was just wanting an opinion . thanks
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    at 325 lbs i would say to really focus on cutting out as much as you can handle.

• "yummy" foods that I used to eat when I was stressed, happy or sad have absolutely NO place in my diet. All that Junk is like crack for me! If I would have 1 tbsp. of ice cream it would end with the entire gallon! LOL

Everyone is different .....this is just me!
  • Are you saying that your total caloric intake for the average day is under 800calories before working out?
    Because if that is what you're saying that is why you are craving "normal" food, because your body is starving. If you're saying your average meal is 400-800 calories with a total over 1200 for the day after adding in workout calories then, go for it. I had Taco Bell for dinner last night, I budgeted it into my allowance for the day and shoveled a chalupa in under a minute flat after work. So long as you allow for the calories of junky food you'll be fine, so long as you're eating enough calories to lose at all.

I genuinely don't get super hungry anymore even if I eat veggies and etc I feel satisfied so I figure why even eat more if im not hungry ? ive upped my intake so I wont feel so weak AND because the past few days have been ''blah'' for me. the portions were normal but just not all veggies
  • "yummy" foods that I used to eat when I was stressed, happy or sad have absolutely NO place in my diet. All that Junk is like crack for me! If I would have 1 tbsp. of ice cream it would end with the entire gallon! LOL

Everyone is different .....this is just me!

well I love chocolate milk ....as silly as It is that's my crack, but it is sooooo fattening so I tried to buy soy or almond milk instead but after I finish that carton I have to stop altogether again.
    Because if that is what you're saying that is why you are craving "normal" food, because your body is starving. If you're saying your average meal is 400-800 ncalories with a total over 1200 for the day after adding in workout calories then, go for it. I had Taco Bell for dinner last night, I budgeted it into my allowance for the day and shoveled a chalupa in under a minute flat after work. So long as you allow for the calories of junky food you'll be fine, so long as you're eating enough calories to lose at all.

I genuinely don't get super hungry anymore even if I eat veggies and etc I feel satisfied so I figure why even eat more if im not hungry ? ive upped my intake so I wont feel so weak AND because the past few days have been ''blah'' for me. the portions were normal but just not all veggies
    Eating 99% veggies sounds great in theory, but it leads to a malnourished you. If the goal MFP set for you is 18something aim for that all day, but no lower than 1200. Instead of feeling guilty for eating something that didn't grow in soil or isn't a "health food" have a quesadilla for lunch, a Greek yogurt with breakfast, and some real protien with dinner. Remember weight loss takes time, and the more you deprive yourself the harder and less healthy your journey will be.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    If MFP is giving you 1850 calories (and I assume you chose the lose 2# per week option), then you need to be eating at least that amount each day. You should also be eating back 1/2-all of your exercise calories. You didn't get to be 300+ pounds in a day, a week, a month or even one year I suspect. Stick to a sensible long term plan and the weight will continue to drop off. As your weight decreases, MFP will adjust for that as well. If you do keep eating 800-1300 cals per day and work out on top of that, you are probably not doing your body, mind or soul much good in the long run even if you see some short term results. Best of luck in finding your balance in the new lifestyle you're adopting.
  • You didn't gain the weight over night and it wont come off overnight. If you are on the path to being healthy and changing your habits you will get to your goal. 4 years ago I weighed 435 today I weigh 226. Don't beat yourself up for the slipups. If you believe in yourself it will happen . Don't over do it and go to the extreme with things. You seem motivated Outstanding you are already on your way to getting healthy keep moving forward, you will get there even when the scale doesn't move keep moving forward with your plan!!! It will move eventually!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    If MFP is giving you 1850 calories (and I assume you chose the lose 2# per week option), then you need to be eating at least that amount each day. You should also be eating back 1/2-all of your exercise calories. You didn't get to be 300+ pounds in a day, a week, a month or even one year I suspect. Stick to a sensible long term plan and the weight will continue to drop off. As your weight decreases, MFP will adjust for that as well. If you do keep eating 800-1300 cals per day and work out on top of that, you are probably not doing your body, mind or soul much good in the long run even if you see some short term results. Best of luck in finding your balance in the new lifestyle you're adopting.

^^^^^This

If I read your first post correctly you were eating too little then exercising most of that off - no wonder you got hungry.

Eat the whole 1850 each and every day. If you exercise eat a bit more (half of what you've earned is good).

The best diet in the world is the one that YOU can stick to - if that means having "junk" food every so often - then so be it. Just keep it in your daily calorie goal and you will lose weight.
  • neonflowers
    neonflowers Posts: 20 Member
    I felt some of the same things as you. I started at 306. I cut out the worst offenders like daily ice cream and cupcakes and tried to find substitutes for them. Like yogurt, fruit and granola for ice cream. I was healthy 5 days and for weekend dinners I ignored my calorie goal. I still lost weight because I exercised 6 days a week and did yoga on the seventh. BUT there did come a time where this stopped working especially since it did nothing to help me make life changes. I would say find out what healthy foods you love and find ways to expand on them. There are healthy recipes for every junk food out there. Find what you can live without and do so. And the rest eat them in the correct portion size and within you calorie goal. Also about the eating under you goal, make sure you calculated right and listen to your body. If you are feeling sickly or weak, eat all your calories. It was hard for me in the beginning also. Good Luck!
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits your calories for the day, unless otherwise advised by your doctor. Restricting foods (in terms of what they are instead of by quantity) tends not to work for many people in the long run. They eventually eat it, binge, give up. If you do overeat, don't sweat it, just move on to the next day. Try to think of net calories on a weekly basis in addition to/instead of daily. Remember you did not get where you are quickly, you will not lose it quickly either. Good luck :)
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Eat "normally" period, as long as that isn't Taco Bell for breakfast everyday. Although theoretically you could still lose weight that way, it would be an less than perfect choice for your health which it sounds like youre already aware of. This is a long term goal. If you constantly deprive yourself of things you like, you'll give up. It really does boil down to calories in < calories out. Make good choices the majority of the time and give yourself a break.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Of course you can incorporate some of your fun foods into your diet! You have to. Anyone who says they eat "health food" (whatever the heck that means) 100% of the time is lying. Or a robot. They could totally be a robot :smile:
  • dmschm2
    dmschm2 Posts: 36 Member
    I know I haven't successfully kept it off, but I have lost large amounts twice. My advce: Don't completely cut out foods you really enjoy, just be more sensible about them. If there is a certain food that is a "if i have one, i have the whole pack", then don't have that in your house.
    I also agree that with a lot to lose, you HAVE to enjoy most of the food you eat, because you have to be able to do this for the rest of your life. Calories in vs. calories out in the most important factor, so as long as you are getting some healthy food in for nutrition, it is ok to spend part of your calories on junk, if you are honest about logging, they are worth the calories to you, and you can control yourself...those are the rules I use for myself.
    Also, really be careful to not eat too little. Use the calorie goal as a guide. Your body will go into starvation mode and it will affect your metabolism.
    Keep up the good work, you got this!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

NOoooooooooo

Eat a net of 1850 calories...try to make as many healthy choices as possible but there is nothing wrong with eating what you want as well...like Fried chicken or a beer or chips or French fries...

Weight loss is about a calorie deficet that's it...once you get to a point where you are more concerned with other things such as bf% or getting enough protien that's when you start looking at food choices...even then there is nothing wrong with having a burger from a fast food resturant as long as you stay within your goals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Does it matter what I eat as long as the portions are sensible and I work out? or because im so fat will this mess me up? the reason I ask is because I don't want to unravel all of my work so far and im not going to eat junk everyday but im curious and I cant be satisfied with salad and a smootie 365 days a year

im 5'8'' I weigh 325 and im female and 27 y.o. im allowed 1850 cals a day

I tend to take in 500- 800 calories for ALL of my meals for the whole day and burn off at least 500-750 cals at the gym ( I do an hour of the treadmill , 15 min on the elliptical and have now incorporated 35 min of strength/lifting for muscles) I normally eat fruit and veggies and lately ive been bad with regular food but not portion size. I tend to go to the gym at night after ive eaten any meals. I drink water.

but for the past few days ive eaten 800-1300+ calories but I still work out. is It ok to eat normal or junk food in sensible portions and still work out? will I still lose weight? I plan on continuing to eat healthy of course and I keep track of calories

im not saying Im going to eat pizza and soda and dairy everyday - ive just taken a break the past few days because of stress and cravings but I didn't go overboard with portions

Eat a net of 1850...but make sure it's accurate by weighing solids...measuring cups for liquids.

800-1300 is not a good number for you...I eat 1600 a day an am older and weigh less...you can easily eat 1850 and still lose weight regardless of the food choices. Dairy is not evil...calcium and protien....pizza is great you get carbs, protien, calicum and fat all of which the body needs...even soda is fine if you have the extra calories left...

My diary is open if you want to take a peek...I eat a lot of foods people would consider "bad" and have dropped almost 45lb and 8% bf since I started...and this weekend it was New york fries (poutine) and taco bell...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I have found a long-term caloric deficit of greater than 1000 calories to be counter productive. As in if your average TDEE is 2800 calories, then you should eat an average of 1800 calories.

Long-term malnutrition (which is what happens if you eat less than about 1200 calories on average) leads to serious life-long health problems. I lost 100 pounds a few years ago, and I looked a lot thinner, obviously. But I also lost a lot of bone density and lost a lot of muscle. I've spent the last 6 years trying to build my bones and muscles back up. I've broken my collarbone three times, and I've had 4 surgeries and 2 bone grafts to fix it. I'm still not 100%, and I never will be.

My suggestion? Eat at your calorie target every day. I don't care what foods you eat right now. Right now you need to build some good habits. Starving yourself is not a good habit. Chronic undereating isn't much different psychologically from chronic overeating. And (sorry if this sounds harsh, but) you didn't get to your current weight by having a healthy relationship with food. Don't let the pendulum swing too far in the opposite direction. Develop good habits. Good luck, ok? Be good to yourself.