Diet Coke?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hinder your diet as it has basically no calories, but personally i find that whenever I drink fizzy, caffeinated drinks, diet or otherwise, it messes up my skin. I would never say diet coke is healthy. If you drink it, just make sure you're still getting 6-9 glasses of water. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's hydrating

It's hydrating.
  • llWishfulShrinkingll
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses! All were very helpful and some even funny...:]
  • I don't think it will hinder your diet as it has basically no calories, but personally i find that whenever I drink fizzy, caffeinated drinks, diet or otherwise, it messes up my skin. I would never say diet coke is healthy. If you drink it, just make sure you're still getting 6-9 glasses of water. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's hydrating

Coke is 90% water...where does the "hydration" go when you drink it?

Ever read "Water water everywhere and though the boards may shrink/
    water water everywhere and not a drop to drink"? Solutions tend not to be hydrating bc osmosis. Soda is not a substitute for water
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Everytime you drink diet soda god kills a puppy....please, think of the puppies!
  • chris31337
    chris31337 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked by all of the acceptance of diet sodas on this post. A quick google search will return thousands of results why your shouldn't be drinking soda. Didn't find any (that weren't ads from the company) saying you should. Here is a great article about the 7 worst effects.
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

If you don't care about your health and only dropping those pounds, here is why Diet Soda also causes obesity.
    "Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more."

Bottom line, if you can tolerate it and want to be truely healthy, avoid anything that didn't exist 500 years ago. Learn to love water!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    oh geez
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hinder your diet as it has basically no calories, but personally i find that whenever I drink fizzy, caffeinated drinks, diet or otherwise, it messes up my skin. I would never say diet coke is healthy. If you drink it, just make sure you're still getting 6-9 glasses of water. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's hydrating

Coke is 90% water...where does the "hydration" go when you drink it?

Ever read "Water water everywhere and though the boards may shrink/
    water water everywhere and not a drop to drink"? Solutions tend not to be hydrating bc osmosis. Soda is not a substitute for water

I know it's not a substitute for water. That wasn't what you said. You basically said that soda wasn't hydrating. There's a difference.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked by all of the acceptance of diet sodas on this post. A quick google search will return thousands of results why your shouldn't be drinking soda. Didn't find any (that weren't ads from the company) saying you should. Here is a great article about the 7 worst effects.
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

If you don't care about your health and only dropping those pounds, here is why Diet Soda also causes obesity.
    "Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more."

Bottom line, if you can tolerate it and want to be truely healthy, avoid anything that didn't exist 500 years ago. Learn to love water!

Thanks for the chuckle.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Nectarines and pluots didnt exsist 500 years ago, I refuse to give those up
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I used to have a can of Diet Coke 3-4 times a week and in October of last year I decided to stop drinking it cold turkey. Personally, I didn't consider it necessarily bad for me, but I don't think it's all that great for you either, so I stopped drinking it. After two or three days of headaches, all cravings went away and I haven't missed it since.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I drink diet soda! At home during the summer I drank LOTS of it! I didn't have any problems losing weight and I didn't gain anything because of it. If you drink like 4 cans a day you will be a bit bloaty. I haven't had any health problems because of it either. All normal blood pressure, heart rate, digestive system, etc :)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

If you are going to give up everything that didn't exist 500 years ago you will pretty much be living on water and nothing else . All farmed animals and plants will have undergone substantial change due to selective breeding and crossing for plants. long before Monsanto and others started screwing around genetically. The Duke studies by the way were funded by the sugar industry - you know the ones making corn syrup from GMO corn
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Nectarines and pluots didnt exsist 500 years ago, I refuse to give those up

:)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Just because fat people drink diet soda does not mean that diet soda makes people fat.

Hmmm... and didn't exist 500 years ago, or we wouldn't have had access to 500 years ago where we live now? Because I'll de darned if I'm giving up chocolate.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you cannot buy a single apple, banana, orange, peach, broccoli crown, or cucumber that existed 500 years ago.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I'm 'truly' healthy, and I drink diet soda every day, as well as eat other foods that didn't exist 500 years ago. I'm also thin and have a bf% around 17%. Go figure :tongue:
  • tribe216
    Options
    I don't think a few glasses a week or even a day will hurt you. Massive consumption like 2 liters or more every day or two might.
    If it's the carbonation you like, maybe try water with bubbles and a lemon or lime in it. If it's the caffeine, switch to hot or cold tea. I have heard the artificial sweeteners in diet soda can prevent weight loss, but that probably isn't the case for everyone, especially if you are only drinking a few glasses a week.

For every report that says diet soda is bad, there is one to show that it is ok. Just do what works for you.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    People who are saying No are crazy. Artificial Sweetners have addicting qualities to them. I am a solid believer that I was addicted to Diet Coke. And I say Diet Coke ... cuz it was just Diet Coke that I craved.

Today is 1 month since I have not had any soda! & I just feel less bloated and look less bloated. It was a rough first few weeks, but I seriously feel a lot healthier. Soda is terrible for you, especially artificial sweetners. Just google some of the **** they put in it.

If you need the caffeine or the taste...try switching to Pepsi Throwback ... real sugar!!!

I'm not a doctor, but I have researched this stuff in full. & I feel better without it :)

I'm glad you feel better without it.

But
    1. I'm happy being crazy, life is more fun.
    2. I have yet to find a Pepsi that doesn't taste awful.
    3. The last thing I want to do is have a drink, the taste of which I don't like, with full sugar which will kick in my cravings, when I can happily drink something I like the taste of which will not start sugar cravings.
    4. I live a happier and fuller life thanks to chemicals which could, in moderately larger doses that I take, either make me very ill or kill me, I really am not going to worry about the innocuous chemicals that are in diet sodas.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I giggle when most people say "I researched it."
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I giggle when most people say "I researched it."

I did...right after I got done searching for cats with things on them and where I can spot Nessy. .