Early Morning Running

2»

Replies

• I have two bowls of porridge and some water, I do 20 miles and it seems to help. Usually about an hour before I run!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I slurp a cup of coffee and go, usually at 6 am. Caffeine is performance-enhancing. In fact, it was the first drug to be proven performance enhancing.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Personally I can't run a heavy stomach so I just drink water with my energy & endurance added and go.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    On a weekday, I don't eat if I exercise in the early morning. It causes heartburn and sometimes cramping. I will drink a glass of water and drink during my run sometimes. I prefer to run before lunch, however, if I can. Which is about 3-4 hours after breakfast.

I cannot imagine running > 10 miles without food in my system. I have never done that... I always run later in the day when I'm going that distance.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Unless I'm running trails and/or going to be out for around 3 hours I am happy to just roll on out of bed and put the shoes on and go. If I am hungry I might eat a banana or a muesli/breakfast bar before I go - you will def. find out what suits you if you catch the running bug :wink: When I first started back running I thought/felt that I needed to eat before I headed out, now not so much unless I wake up hungry.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    nothing or a quest bar
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    If it is a long run, I will have a bagel with peanut butter the night before and repeat an hour before the run in the morning. Also can't go anywhere with out my coffee with unsalted butter in the morning.

If it is a short run, just the coffee and butter.