Night time eating

Options
I can be perfect all day but at night I have a hard time controlling my food. I eat healthy but seem to just want to continuously snack does anyone have any suggestions that have worked for them to stop this habit. I have 4 kids so going for a walk is not an option (I wish).

Replies

• TheRealErinHisc
    Options
    I knit in the evenings, or read/look at knitting books/magazines. It might sound corny, but busy hands means I can't be shoveling food in, plus I don't want any crumbs or spills near my yarn, so that's an added incentive to not have any food near me.

Obviously, if you are not into knitting, you could do any other hobby/project.
    crochet
    scrapbooking
    papercrafting/cardmaking
    photography - if you have a digital camera and editing software, a few photos can keep you busy for hours
    playing solitaire - on the PC or with an actual deck of cards
    sketching/drawing/painting - if you're a no talent hack, like me, paint-by-numbers
  • SJUL77
    SJUL77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read an article in Family Circle that if you have a snack (same every night) 90 minutes after you eat your dinner that it will stop you from eating all night. I don't know if it works because I haven't tried it yet. But it might be worth a try
  • TheRealErinHisc
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if I have a hunger feeling that I can't ignore, I usually have some carrot and celery sticks and a glass of water to fill me up, without actually filling me up.
  • jrohalle
    jrohalle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. On nights I don't go to the gym I catch myself "grazing" when instead I should just go to sleep.

My suggestion, drink a big glass of water and go to bed.
  • lvbonney
    Options
    I have the same issue as well, night-time hunger is such a pain!

If you feel like you absolutely need something, snack on some almonds or pieces of fruit.

Otherwise, drink some water and play with the kids/do one of your favorite indoor hobbies.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do this night binging too! I've been trying hard to control it. They say if you eat breakfast, lunch and supper at regular times, possibly with small snacks in between, it should curb those cravings and impulses, but that is not the case with me! And going out for a walk just delays it til after the walk. I find limiting TV time helps, crocheting helps, computing helps. But is is a challenge every single night. I can do all those things, but they just delay the inevitable snacking. One solution is to put a quarter cup of sunflower seeds beside me and eat one, v.....e......r.......y slowly at a time. Raisins or dried cranberries might work too. The last few days I've made a big cup of spicy herbal tea and sip on that. It's good and seems to satisfy a lot of what my subconscience is screaming for. The warm spicy-ness does help fill me up. Another trick is to floss and brush my teeth. This really makes me think I shouldn't eat again. But really... this eating is NOT about hunger at all. It just seems to be binge time! Today I'm really struggling with what an effort this is taking and I'm only on day 6! I'm hoping my weigh-in tomorrow will lift my spirits??????

2040688.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Please know you are not alone with this issue. It is one of my biggest enemies on this journey. Wish I could share a solution that has worked for me, but it is a struggle and most of what other folks are posting are things you just need to try to see which option is best for you (water, carrots, celery, sleep, craft, laying in floor exercising/stretching) It is funny that you posted this, as just last night I went to bed at 9pm because I was reading and just kept wanting to go get something to eat and somehow kept pushing the urge away until I just couldn't anymore, but instead of walking to the kitchen I walked to my bedroom and went to bed. I realize with 4 kids and a busy house, that probably is not always an option for you, so again would just suggest you find something to make yourself too busy to eat!
  • Wtbyerdoc
    Options
    Wow thank you for all of your advice and support. I will definatly try some of these. I have not crocheted in a long time and although I love to scrapbook I find I still can munch and it is hard to concentrate with kids at night. The tea thing works too when I can get passed the want of food and think about it. I am going to make a list of these suggestions and post them in kitchen so I am reminded as I am wandering towards the refridge. Thanks again I will keep you up to date.