How to get use to the taste of avocados

Options
Hi

I've never tried to eat avocados until very recently. The first time I tried it was in a guacamole. I did not really like it. Then it was in a sub at subway. It tasted awful IMO. Then I tried it again in a salad. I'm just not able to appreciate the taste. I don't know what it is but I really want to get use to it because I know it is such a great source of healthy fats and nutrients.

Any ideas?

And also, how can I save a part of an avocado for the next day without it turning brown...

Thanks

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I already like avacados in all those ways so I am not sure about recipes to make it any better for you. The best way to store it is to make sure no air is touching the inside, so wrap it up tight in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and make sure the plastic is snugly covering any of the insides of it. They do not keep very long once they are cut open unfortunately......
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Keep the seed in the leftover avocado. This works!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I love avacados but honestly dont think they have alot of taste. You can try to put some lemon juice on them . I can eat them in any way on anything.

To keep them from browning fast , as soon as you cut it, wrap the unused part tightly in saran wrap and leave the pit IN.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eat something else that you enjoy the taste of rather than trying to make yourself enjoy something that you obviously don't.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    you don't. you can't make yourself *like* avocados. I, personally, despise avocados and their bi-products in every way, shape, and form. like, I'd rather gouge my eye out with a dull, rusty butterknife than force myself to eat an avocado.

just. sayin'.

:glasses:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lots of lemon or lime juice, and also a bit of salt. Even if you are going to add it in a sandwich, salad etc with other dressing, still add some lemon/lime juice first, it changes the taste completely.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are other healthy sources of fat and nutrients. If you don't like it, choose something else.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    mash up the avacado with a pinch of salt, and add fresh prawns to it! ( i used to hate both) then i tried this dish and wow, i was amazed and loved it. my husband made it for me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's not anything you can get from them that you can't get somewhere else. I generally don't like them but have gotten used to them as a light spread on sandwiches rather than butter, or on burgers (again spread, no chunks).
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Yes, this.

I love avocado's so I don't try to mask the flavor. If you don't like them then don't eat them. Like others said I guess there are other ways to get the same nutrients.

What I do is take a bowl of kale and an avocado and just mush the avocado in the Kale, lathering each leaf with smushed avocado :-) I add whatever else I want and noticed I can't really taste the avocado. It's like a "salad dressing" texture to the Kale.
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use a avocado in my smoothie every day. It makes it creamy and smooth but my smoothie is all greens.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You get used to the fact that you don't like it and eat something else that you do enjoy.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't eat it?
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like to mash it up and add a lot of salsa or tomatoes or add a chopped hard boiled egg season it with dill or parsley.

Leave the pit in and sprinkle a bit of lemon juice store in a ziploc bag
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to make yourself like them? There are other healthy things to eat.
    But I assume it's the same as any other "acquired" taste.. just keep eating them.
    I love guacamole though. Always have. I don't make it often because it's a pain in the butt. I make it and it's all brown the next day. You have to just make a little bit at a time, but with chopping the onions, tomatoes, lime, cilantro, it's kind of lame. But it's sooo good :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't dislike them but not a fan - I also know they have lots of good nutrients - one of my workfriends removes the pit and cracks an egg into it and bakes - worth a try because I love eggs :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Salsa.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

True! Keep the half with the seed in it. Also sprinkle some lemon juice on it. I love avocados plain with just some salt, pepper and lemon.....so good! I have tried to make it with the egg in it, but it didn't turn out too well....
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you don't like em.....don't eat em.