My news station just played this story...

Options
http://www.ktbs.com/story/24627096/diet-foods-that-arent

Some of it made sense (actually I thought it was common sense...like, checking calorie counts on ice cream before buying HELLO?!)...and other parts I was just like :huh: .

Sodium does not make you *gain* weight. I guess I am just spoiled to the intellect of the people on these forums and this article took me by surprise. :heart:

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't make you gain fat. It can help you retain water, which will mask weight loss and might move the scale up temporarily.

While the article puts down things like fast food salads because of the sodium, I'd rather have the sodium in a McDonald's salad than the calories, fat and carbs of a Big Mac.

One thing I have also learned is to be diligent label reader. When it comes to things that have no-fat, low-fat and full fat varieties you need to compare labels closely. Which one you choose will depend on what you are most concerned about. For example, I end up getting 2% cottage cheese because it has fewer calories than the 4% and more protein than the fat-free. I'd rather have the extra calories of 2% and get the extra protein.

It is all about choices and figuring out what works best for you.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't make you gain fat. It can help you retain water, which will mask weight loss and might move the scale up temporarily.

While the article puts down things like fast food salads because of the sodium, I'd rather have the sodium in a McDonald's salad than the calories, fat and carbs of a Big Mac.

One thing I have also learned is to be diligent label reader. When it comes to things that have no-fat, low-fat and full fat varieties you need to compare labels closely. Which one you choose will depend on what you are most concerned about. For example, I end up getting 2% cottage cheese because it has fewer calories than the 4% and more protein than the fat-free. I'd rather have the extra calories of 2% and get the extra protein.

It is all about choices and figuring out what works best for you.

A better article than what my news story played.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it say that sodium makes you gain weight. I think the article is trying to explain that just because it says 'diet' or 'low fat' or 'low sugar' on the packet, doesn't mean it's healthy. And I completely agree. People are made to believe that fat makes you fat. It's infuriating.
  • katielshelby
    Options
    I didn't see it say that sodium makes you gain weight. I think the article is trying to explain that just because it says 'diet' or 'low fat' or 'low sugar' on the packet, doesn't mean it's healthy. And I completely agree. People are made to believe that fat makes you fat. It's infuriating.

"Another diet food to watch out for: fast food salads. You might think you're being healthy, but these are often very high in calories and sodium. A McDonald's Caesar salad with grilled chicken contains more than half the recommended amount of sodium, and that's without the dressing. The worst part is usually the chicken, which is often cooked in a high-sodium marinade and injected with a sodium solution to keep it moist.

The bottom line?

"Just because it has a health claim, doesn't mean it doesn't have calories," Simon said."

I wish I could find the video of the article; it was obvious through it that she was equating sodium to weight gain.

I just thought this was a cute attempt for where I come from (LA -- very obese state). :ohwell:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

"Another diet food to watch out for: fast food salads. You might think you're being healthy, but these are often very high in calories and sodium. A McDonald's Caesar salad with grilled chicken contains more than half the recommended amount of sodium, and that's without the dressing. The worst part is usually the chicken, which is often cooked in a high-sodium marinade and injected with a sodium solution to keep it moist.

The bottom line?

"Just because it has a health claim, doesn't mean it doesn't have calories," Simon said."

I wish I could find the video of the article; it was obvious through it that she was equating sodium to weight gain.

I just thought this was a cute attempt for where I come from (LA -- very obese state). :ohwell:
    No she wasn't at all. She was saying keep an eye on calories, even low fat or reduced sodium or whatever health claim a food is advising still has calories. Many people equate health claims to weight loss, which of course isn't true, it's about calories......a Dietitian that apparently knows the difference, which is good.
  • katielshelby
    Options

The bottom line?

No she wasn't at all. She was saying keep an eye on calories, even low fat or reduced sodium or whatever health claim a food is advising still has calories. Many people equate health claims to weight loss, which of course isn't true, it's about calories......a Dietitian that apparently knows the difference, which is good.

I disagree, especially after watching the clip of her explaining, but if everyone knows the healthy truths then that's all that matters.