Fitbit App alone vs. Fitbit Zip

Options
Hi - I scoured (i.e. briefly searched) past threads for this topic but wasn't able to answer my question. Forgiveness please if this has been asked before.

I downloaded the Fitbit iPhone app today for my 5S, a device which supposedly has better motion tracking than past iPhones. The Fitbit app is free, and tracks steps, miles, and calories burned. I believe this is also the extent of what the Fitbit Zip does.

Has anyone had experience with using the Fitbit app alone for tracking this information versus the Zip? I'm curious about the accuracy of each. If they vary by a few hundred steps or so, I'll stick with the freebie. I'm willing to shell out the ~$50 if the difference in accuracy is thousands, though.

Cheers. :drinker:

Replies

• jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ugh I typed out long reply and safari froze. Basically I found an article where a guy who also uses the fitbit flex tested out some other M7 motion tracking apps (although not the fitbit one) and the accuracy was off by a couple thousand steps a day. Its also necessary to have to keep your phone on you at all times to get an accurate count (obviously, you need to do this with he fitbit as well, but having to remember to put your phone in your pocket all of the time is less convenient that clipping the tiny fitbit to your clothes and not having to worrry about it for the rest of the day).

http://m.cnet.com/news/five-apps-to-help-you-track-your-steps-on-the-iphone-5s/57605671

HTH