Is eating two slices of bread a day bad?

Options
I have a slice of toast in the morning, and then a sandwich (half of one) for lunch. i'm just trying to switch up my lunch, I normally have chili.

I have heard alot of people on here mention "wheat belly", and that whole wheat bread is actually bad to eat everyday, and will give me belly fat....

Theres so many different opinions on here, I just dont know what to believe

Replies

• christopherphillips1983
    Options
    Sort of depends on the kind of bread, who makes it, and the rest of your diet. My wife and I make our own homemade bread so we know there's nothing "extra" hidden in the ingredients, and if we do buy bread, we buy it from a local bakery. It's a near-daily part of my diet and my weight's been on a steady downward spiral for the last six weeks or so. However, that's in conjunction with the rest of my diet plus my exercise regimen.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a wheat or gluten allergy, there is nothing wrong with eating bread. If eating bread fits into your daily calorie goals then I wouldn't give it a second thought. The current gluten and wheat hysteria is ridiculous.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm reading bro-science. No piece of bread will make you fat, just as eating healthy for a week will make you skinny. Unless you have allergies to wheat or something.

Any bread is FINE. At the end of the day, as long as your calories are AT or UNDER your goal you lose weight.

PS... I ate 4 pieces of cinnamon raisin swirl bread this morning with PB on it. I have no "wheat belly".
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a wheat or gluten allergy, there is nothing wrong with eating bread. If eating bread fits into your daily calorie goals then I wouldn't give it a second thought. The current gluten and wheat hysteria is ridiculous.
    this :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

This.
    Don't stress over bread and PLEASE don't stress over "wheat belly" (makes me chuckle to type it)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

^This.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1) Is the bread moldy?
    2) Is the bread stale?
    3) Do you have room for it in your calorie and carb goals?

1. Don't eat moldy bread
    2. Make french toast or croutons with stale bread
    3. Eat up
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have a slice of toast in the morning, and then a sandwich (half of one) for lunch. i'm just trying to switch up my lunch, I normally have chili.

I have heard alot of people on here mention "wheat belly", and that whole wheat bread is actually bad to eat everyday, and will give me belly fat....

Theres so many different opinions on here, I just dont know what to believe
    wheat belly had no actual basis in science. If your not a celiac and don't have a diagnosed (diagnosed by a doctor not an astrologer) intolerance (the majority of people who say they have a gluten intolerance don't) If you want to eat two slices of bread within your calories go ahead.
  • HanaNikki
    Options
    I really don't know why so many people seem to fear bread. I usually eat 2 slices of bread every day and I don't have any problems. The German Nutrition Society recommends eating cereal products like bread every day, as they are a great source for carbs. You should prefere whole grain bread, because it contains more nutrients and makes you full longer :)
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    you actually NEED whole grains in your diet. My dietician wants me to have 3-4 portions of grains per day. As long as the first ingredient is whole grains, you're fine!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

This.
  • andit001
    andit001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't fit into your calorie goal, it's bad :P
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Yes!

...Because a good club sandwich needs at least 3.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If you're staying within your calorie allotment then no, it's not bad. Calories, calories, calories.

Also Wheat Belly is a joke-and yes I've read the book, as well as watched the author in several interviews, (who is overweight himself, yet promotes his book/plan as a way to lose weight :huh: ).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends on the kind of bread, who makes it

No.
    you actually NEED whole grains in your diet. My dietician wants me to have 3-4 portions of grains per day. As long as the first ingredient is whole grains, you're fine!

Also no.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    No.......
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Only if its "Paleo Bread"
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes*

*not really
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No but eating four a day is better. :)
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine and if I have extra calories for the day I even load mine up with a serving of butter! Seriously though, if you are worried about bread all the time, you can try healthier options such as english muffins, sandwich thins or flat out wraps. I eat these things frequently and it has not had an impact on my weight loss to date.