fat, why you do dis to meeeee??

Options
ok. queue the sad music and listen to me whine for a few... then maybe you could help a girl out? pleaseandthankyou.

At the end of November (2013), I was at a low of 132-ish. then the hurricane known as December happened (a month of Christmas parties and banquets and whatnot) and I gained roughly 4 lbs. I lost 2 of those lbs fairly easily -- but I've been stuck (like, foot-caught-in-a-bear-trap stuck) between 134-135 for weeks.

last week I started running again (it's been about a year -- long story), and I've been consistantly walking at least 1.5 miles every day since last summer... so it's not like i'm a complete bump on a log. I also mix in some JM 30DS, Leslie Sansone DVD's, Yoga, calisthenics (pretty sure I spelled that wrong), etc.

I have been trying to be more aware of my macros instead of just eating anything and everything under the sun as long as it's within my calorie goal.

oh, these might be helpful. my stats:

SEX: female
BUILD: petite/small
HEIGHT: 5'3"
HW: 157+
CW: 134.4
GW: 120
UGW: 115-120

I have my macros set to Carbs (50%), Fat (35%), Protein (15%).

My daily calorie goal is 1300. however, I usually eat between 1300-1650 depending on how much I exercise.

My diary is (or at least should be) open... so have a look-see if you'd like. Generally, I eat pretty healthy (minus the 1/2 of GIANT Peanut Butter Cup I had last night for a snack. yumzo!). I don't eat red meat (except Bacon... because I love bacon), but I do eat chicken and fish (mainly salmon and tuna). I eat alot of eggs... especially on the weekends.

So, my questions is -- why I no lose poundages!!?

5911300919_Why_you_no_xlarge.jpeg

Anyone have any words of wisdom, magical secrets, or raspberry keytones they'd care to share? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I just took a gander at the last two days on your diary and noticed your sodium intake was very high, well over the set goals. Even if you're drinking a lot of water, taking in a lot of sodium could be masking your fat loss. I found when I started keeping my sodium down to 1900 a day it helped a lot. (Sometimes easier said than done, I know!).

You could also be at a plateau, which is totally normal. You've lost 24 pounds, that is awesome! More than i've lost so far! Also remember, if you're starting to amp up your exercise, your body is going to hold onto water for the glycogen it needs to repair your muscles.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice, I'm stuck in my own rut too (mostly self-inflicted), but just a question - is there a reason your protein macro is so low?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How are you getting your exercise calories? I saw 400-600 calorie burns but in the OP you said you walk 1.5 miles and just started running, I am assuming you are doing a 5k or less, so you should only be burning 200-300 calories working out?

Make sure you are measuring things out by weight, sometimes fruit can vary from average sizes listed in the database. I also saw you eating "1.5 cups" of potatoes in one entry, this can vary a bit by how they are cut and the like, so you are better off going by weight.

In general you might find some success if you try to decrease carbs some and increase protein. Don't go crazy with the carb cut (shoot for 100-125) but you might see more loss if you cut back on them some.

Those are things that I noticed, I am not an expert though.
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You're using cups and spoons to measure. Get some digital scales they're much more accurate and you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I just took a gander at the last two days on your diary and noticed your sodium intake was very high, well over the set goals. Even if you're drinking a lot of water, taking in a lot of sodium could be masking your fat loss. I found when I started keeping my sodium down to 1900 a day it helped a lot. (Sometimes easier said than done, I know!).

You could also be at a plateau, which is totally normal. You've lost 24 pounds, that is awesome! More than i've lost so far! Also remember, if you're starting to amp up your exercise, your body is going to hold onto water for the glycogen it needs to repair your muscles.

ok. sodium cutting will be a focus from now on. Thank you!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I don't have advice, I'm stuck in my own rut too (mostly self-inflicted), but just a question - is there a reason your protein macro is so low?

well, this was suggested to me by several other people when I was trying to figure out my protein intake. should I make adjustments to that?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    You run.

That's good.

Change your schedule so that you run in the morning when you first get up.

Six days a week. Five days a week minimum.

Down some water and off you go!

Train for the usual 5k runs that they have everywhere,

The pounds will come off.

This is somewhat true, but people often don't see weight loss from running because they overestimate burns and refuel too much and basically eliminate the deficit they created. Running is great exercise but not in itself going to ensure the loss, controlled diet will.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You're using cups and spoons to measure. Get some digital scales they're much more accurate and you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

This. You can be off as much as 50-100 calories just with one food, if you are using a measuring cup instead of a food scale.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    why are you setting your protein so low? Are you on a speical diet?
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    How are you getting your exercise calories? I saw 400-600 calorie burns but in the OP you said you walk 1.5 miles and just started running, I am assuming you are doing a 5k or less, so you should only be burning 200-300 calories working out?

Make sure you are measuring things out by weight, sometimes fruit can vary from average sizes listed in the database. I also saw you eating "1.5 cups" of potatoes in one entry, this can vary a bit by how they are cut and the like, so you are better off going by weight.

In general you might find some success if you try to decrease carbs some and increase protein. Don't go crazy with the carb cut (shoot for 100-125) but you might see more loss if you cut back on them some.

I walk 1.5-1.75 miles (30-35mins @ 3-3.5mph) after lunch every day. when I got home last night I walked the treadmill for 6 miles (90mins @ 4mph), then an additional .5 miles (10mins @3-3.5mph). then I did about 5-10 minutes of yoga. that was why I had an insane calorie burn last night.

carb-cutting is something I've been toying with in my mind for a bit. I'll have to give this a go and see if it helps! Thanks!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate then, my apologies. Yeah it seems like reassessing your macros might be you best shot at this point since your calorie goals seems pretty good and you are hitting them.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I walk 1.5-1.75 miles (30-35mins @ 3-3.5mph) after lunch every day. when I got home last night I walked the treadmill for 6 miles (90mins @ 4mph), then an additional .5 miles (10mins @3-3.5mph). then I did about 5-10 minutes of yoga. that was why I had an insane calorie burn last night.

carb-cutting is something I've been toying with in my mind for a bit. I'll have to give this a go and see if it helps! Thanks!!

It's not about cutting carbs, or sugar, or anything like that. It's about reducing calories, and being as accurate as you possibly can, which is why we are telling you to weight every little bit of solid food you consume. Measuring is not at all accurate when it comes to solid food, and you can be over by hundreds of calories per day when measuring, meaning you can be eating at maintenance or even at a surplus when you think you are eating at a deficit. It's also very easy to over estimate calorie burns, so don't always eat back every calorie you think you have burned.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    You run.

That's good.

Change your schedule so that you run in the morning when you first get up.

Six days a week. Five days a week minimum.

Down some water and off you go!

Train for the usual 5k runs that they have everywhere,

The pounds will come off.

I am currently training for a 5k. however, I already get up at 5:30 every morning since I start work at 6:30 every moring, so exercising in the mornings is not an option. unfortunately...

no, not unfortunately. I'm allergic to mornings, so even if I didn't have to be to work until 10:00, I still probably wouldn't work out in the AM. I do what I can, where I can -- which, for now, is walking after lunch and then walking/running on the treadmill at home when I get off work.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

It's not about cutting carbs, or sugar, or anything like that. It's about reducing calories, and being as accurate as you possibly can, which is why we are telling you to weight every little bit of solid food you consume. Measuring is not at all accurate when it comes to solid food, and you can be over by hundreds of calories per day when measuring, meaning you can be eating at maintenance or even at a surplus when you think you are eating at a deficit. It's also very easy to over estimate calorie burns, so don't always eat back every calorie you think you have burned.

ok! awesome! Thank you!

When measuring food on a food scale, should I weigh it raw (before it's cooked), or after I cook it?
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate then, my apologies. Yeah it seems like reassessing your macros might be you best shot at this point since your calorie goals seems pretty good and you are hitting them.

any suggestions on what my macros should be...?
  • mccindy72
    Options

ok! awesome! Thank you!

When measuring food on a food scale, should I weigh it raw (before it's cooked), or after I cook it?
    I usually measure all my food before I cook it, including ingredients I cook with, like olive oil.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Where is the protein?

At the very least, maybe 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein. I'm actually on a 40 protein, 30 carb, 30 fat plan and it is really hard to stick to it.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

ok! awesome! Thank you!

I usually measure all my food before I cook it, including ingredients I cook with, like olive oil.

Got it! Thanks!!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Where is the protein?

At the very least, maybe 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein. I'm actually on a 40 protein, 30 carb, 30 fat plan and it is really hard to stick to it.

what do you eat to hit your protein goals every day...?

I eat yogurt almost every day... and eggs. I literally feel like I have eggs coming out my ears. And fish -- but a person can only consume so much fish.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale is a must
    Your counting exercise that is very hard to determine any burn from.. stop doing that (cleaning, yoga, walking, washing the dog, etc).. only count things where you sweat for 20+ minutes.
    Add 100 or so calories to your food to compensate for not counting all this random exercise
    Increase protein to 30% at the expense of carbs/fat

So in general, eat 1400 calories a day, don't eat exercise calories unless you sweat for 20+ minutes of a movement.