Newbie - slow start and needing some advice please......

Options
Hi folks

Joined MFP recently and started this journey on 6th January 2014. I've been following the NHS weight loss guide which for women is to eat around 1400 per day which I have been doing most of the time. I also exercise 4 or 5 times a week doing cardio twice per week (this is usually a Spin class or walk/run intervals on treadmill or outside if I can't get to a class), core strength training once or twice a week (usually CXworx class) and Body Pump twice per week. The mix of exercise varies on a weekly basis depending on what classes I can fit around my work/family commitments and availability of childcare (I work full time and hubby works shifts!).

I started off at 179.3lbs and have lost 3lbs in the month I've been doing this which I find extremely disappointing and wondered if anyone had any good advice. I thought I would have lost at least 5lbs in the first month.

My diary is open if anyone would like to view it. I log my exercise cals (using an HRM) but try not to "eat them" unless I actually feel hungry.

I'm 41, 5ft3 and my final goal weight is 140lbs. My first mini-goal is 165lbs by end of April 2014...it seems unachievable from where I am sitting at the moment.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks, Mel x

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    3 pounds is excellent! I think you're being a bit hard on yourself hoping for 5 - weight doesnt come off nice and evenly, and it can take a while for your body to respond to a new regime.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is a great loss! Took a peek at your food diary and it looks great. Sounds like you mix things up in your workouts too. Sometimes it seems like time is moving slowly, but keep doing what you're doing and the weight should keep coming off. You're doing great!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Find the pic that shows 1 lb of fat then know you've lost 3 of those. They say slow is best and for you it probably is because you do not have a lot to lose. You probably feel like I did and want it off NOW. But face it that's not going to happen. It's taken me over 15 months to lose what I have lost and the last 6 months has been a crawl or next to nothing but I'm okay with it. 3 lbs is awesome and if you lose 3 lbs a month your not only learning to eat correctly but your more likely to keep it off. I will say this is not true for everyone because I did lose mine fast but I was on a mission to get it off as fast as I could. Now with 60 lbs left to go I'm more willing to take it slow. Awesome job...and if you take advice on here and it goes wrong for you, just go back to doing what worked to begin with and don't ever give up.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Be happy for a loss! Slow loss is better than no loss. I looked at your diary and your diet looks pretty good, but just make sure you are eating at least your goal. You may want to consider eating back half of your exercise calories as well. You will still run a deficit, and you may lose more. Are you drinking water? Make sure you are drinking at least 64oz water daily. Good luck and keep it up!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you exercise, your body will store fluid in your muscles to repair them. So it's probably masking some weight loss. Also, if you don't have a food scale, you should buy one to ensure accuracy in calorie counting. And lastly, 3 lbs is good. Below are some good guidelines to follow

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • zboone05
    Options
    Here is an article you might appreciate about calorie deficits. 2 things I would recommend you focus on:
    1. The type of food matters. you could eat ice cream in small portions with nothing else and have a calorie deficit. But if you each very clean, less than 60 grams of sugar per day, low fat etc. and take in enough protien, then the calories are doing good things for your body.
    2. Exercise intensity. The Body pump class I think you mentioned is good if it is the one I am familiar with. But you exercise needs to include intensity of this level or higher for at least 30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week. Then the weight work, stressing your body to rebuild muscule just provide exponential value in calorie absorbtion and use. Push the weights hard after the intense cardio. Be safe, but my gauge for limits is if I almost throw up, then I know I am pushing hard enough.
    Your body will be pushed into overdrive to keep up, and the weight will come off.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/
    Just aim to burn 450 more calories per day than you take in.

The harder you work, the quicker you'll see results.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    3 lbs, 4 weeks, you said you "sometimes" follow the plan.. so I am guessing cheat days in there, high calorie days.. Sounds like good work, don't change anything.
  • MelMac40
    MelMac40 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the great responses......very motivating! It seems I am just being impatient......:laugh:
  • MelMac40
    Options
    Thank you...looks like I am in the right weight loss range for your recommendations so I'll try to refer back to this as I am losing!
  • MelMac40
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you exercise, your body will store fluid in your muscles to repair them. So it's probably masking some weight loss. Also, if you don't have a food scale, you should buy one to ensure accuracy in calorie counting. And lastly, 3 lbs is good. Below are some good guidelines to follow

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Thanks - I it looks like I am on the right track then according to this! I'll keep referring back to it.
  • MelMac40
    Options
    3 lbs, 4 weeks, you said you "sometimes" follow the plan.. so I am guessing cheat days in there, high calorie days.. Sounds like good work, don't change anything.

Ha ha...yes there are the odd "cheat days" mostly at the weekends but I do hope all the exercise compensates for this!
  • MelMac40
    Options
    Here is an article you might appreciate about calorie deficits. 2 things I would recommend you focus on:
    1. The type of food matters. you could eat ice cream in small portions with nothing else and have a calorie deficit. But if you each very clean, less than 60 grams of sugar per day, low fat etc. and take in enough protien, then the calories are doing good things for your body.
    2. Exercise intensity. The Body pump class I think you mentioned is good if it is the one I am familiar with. But you exercise needs to include intensity of this level or higher for at least 30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week. Then the weight work, stressing your body to rebuild muscule just provide exponential value in calorie absorbtion and use. Push the weights hard after the intense cardio. Be safe, but my gauge for limits is if I almost throw up, then I know I am pushing hard enough.
    Your body will be pushed into overdrive to keep up, and the weight will come off.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/
    Just aim to burn 450 more calories per day than you take in.

The harder you work, the quicker you'll see results.

Thanks for replying.....I'll read that article later when I have more time. It's the Les Mills Body Pump and CxWorx classes I do. 90 mins for both classes on a Saturday and an hour of body pump alone on a Sunday and I try to fit in another CX during the week. I don't do heavy weights in the gym on my own. Might try that when I've lost a few more lbs! x
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I can't really comment on your food consumption because I don't think I can tell anyone how or what to eat. But I can tell you to hang in there weight loss is partially a waiting game. You do what you are supposed to do and slowly but surely it will come off. There is no magical way to get it off you just have to keep working at it and NEVER GIVE UP!
    Sometimes just when you think you won't lose any more you do. Consistency pays off in the long run so just keep it up, this time next year you could be dramatically smaller. :happy:
  • MelMac40
    Options
    Hello,

I can't really comment on your food consumption because I don't think I can tell anyone how or what to eat. But I can tell you to hang in there weight loss is partially a waiting game. You do what you are supposed to do and slowly but surely it will come off. There is no magical way to get it off you just have to keep working at it and NEVER GIVE UP!
    Sometimes just when you think you won't lose any more you do. Consistency pays off in the long run so just keep it up, this time next year you could be dramatically smaller. :happy:

Thank you!! Wise words!