Fitness pal question. How many calories can I eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• rubyred138
    rubyred138 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor to see exactly how many you should be taking in daily. I was going for 1200 a day but my doctor said that is not enough, which is why I was struggling to lose weight. She suggested 1400 to start and once I start losing I can gradually work my way down to 1200 a day.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Most doctors don't have enough training in nutrition to give you advice. Really.
    You should talk to your doctor to see exactly how many you should be taking in daily. I was going for 1200 a day but my doctor said that is not enough, which is why I was struggling to lose weight. She suggested 1400 to start and once I start losing I can gradually work my way down to 1200 a day.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I will probably eat a little more but not eat all the calories back to adjust for errors.

That sounds like a reasonable plan.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Doctors are, in general, pretty untrained in nutrition. If you want to talk to a professional, seek out an RD (registered dietitian) instead.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think you should eat 1800 even if you are burning off 600 during exercise. Stick to 1200 will let you see an extra pound of weight lost every 6 days. with 3500 calories = 1 pound. 1200 should keep you feeling full as well as long as its all good foods and high in proteins.

strong first post

:eyeroll:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

As a nurse, I know most doctors don't know a whole lot about weight loss, or nutrition. Not to mention, one doc's advice may vary greatly compared to another. They get a quick review on nutrition, and it's based on the government's food pyramid, which you could look up online, but I, personally wouldn't bother. I've been overweight since I was little, n I've learned more on MFP than I have my whole life about weight loss. :wink: