Weightlifting to Improve Dance Skills

Options
I'm a hoop dancer, and my most important training goal is to continue to improve my dance. In addition to my dance practice, stretching, and yoga, I'd also like my weightlifting to contribute to making me a better dancer.

I'd like to hear from other dancers who lift. Please tell me...

...what type(s) of dance do you do, and what type of weight training program do you follow?
...how has weightlifting improved your ability to dance?
...which exercises/training programs have you found most useful?
...have any exercises or programs been detrimental to your ability to dance?

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    strength training benefits everyone- and anyone who is an athlete.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION you will be a better dancer.

> I'm a bellydancer- but I dabble in other arena's. (I also don't mean- giggle giggle I take class once a week- I'm a professional and I am in class at least 4 +hrs a week + outside training on my own +gigs)

> I have better awareness over my body- I know what muscles I need to be using- and which ones are stronger and how they may be compensating

> I look good doing it- strong- clean and powerful- its' easier to have energy and tension through your limbs when there is muscle to support that

> I tread the line between power lifting and body building style training- so I do strength and hypertrophy training- I'm not on any one's program.

> I'm bulking- and putting on weight and there is no question I have reduce capacity for heart rate (doing no cardio other than dance) and I am stiffer than normal- reduced flexibility- but that is from bulking on purpose- not lifting specifically.

If you are new to weight training I would recommend
    Strong Lifts
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for women
    Strong Curves.

If you have more questions- let me know!!!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks, JoRocka. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Life, and now I'm experimenting on my own to build my own program. Lots of glute work on the Summer Plan! :)
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I pole dance. For the better part of the year last year I followed strong lifts 5x5 but hit a point where I had a hard time doing both without either one being negatively affected by the other. I ended up injured so I have changed things around to the benefit of my dancing. The problem I ran into is the fact that pole is very upper body intensive and that combined with heavy compound lifts left little time for proper recovery. I dealt with a pulled rhomboid and a pulled intercostal. So, I now have split things up differently . I pole 3 days a week and finish my practice with pole strengthening upper body work. For example, when I'm done with actual practice I do a circuit of exercises to failure x 3: pull-ups on a bar, pole pull-ups, push-ups, handstands, forearms stands. This finishes my upper body. I do all upper body work at home. The gym is for lower body which I do 2-3 days a week. I prefer barbell work, but if my upper body is not recovered well enough then I stick primarily with dumbells and a little bit of cable machines. I squat in the 5 rep range with lots of warm up sets. I deadlift in the 5 rep range, again with lots of warming up. Dumbell work I tend to do inthe 8-12 rep range as my forearms get more exhausted when I go any heavier. I do dumbbell lunges, split squats, goblet squats, cable leg extensions, barbell glute bridges, single leg dead lifts....I no longer follow a formal program. It was great while it lasted but formal strength training is not my number one priority anymore. In terms of benefit to my dancing, the stronger I am, the easier everything comes to me. Some moves take months to develop the strength for and I'm sure that having a higher level of strength minimizes the time it would take otherwise. For me, the big lesson has been to prioritize and train according to my goals.
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I teach ballet, jazz, and tap and give my students conditioning classes with the suggestions below. I also hoop dance and do poi.

I've never done very heavy weight lifting, but I do a lot of hand-held weights, kettlebells, resistance band, Pilates circle, and body weight exercises. I think planks are the best thing ever, including variations (side and prone, with 2 feet on floor and with 1 foot raised). Also regular and triceps push ups are great. I do intervals with kettlebells and resistance bands (like 3 minutes jogging or calisthenics and 2 minutes reps). I'm also a fan of things that combine strength and cardio-like mountain climbers and burpees...though honestly who really loves burpees? But they kick your butt and that's a good thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do!!!!
    me me me me
    I <3 burpees!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ....For me, the big lesson has been to prioritize and train according to my goals.

Yes! This is exactly what I'm trying to do. So part of the project is figuring out what parts of my body need the most work in order to improve my dance, and the other part is figuring out the timing of all my workouts so I don't compromise my time or energy for hoop practice. That's why I'm trying shorter, more frequent split sessions, instead of full-body weight sessions three times a week. It was really hard to get in a good practice on the days I lifted for an hour.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    being stronger helps in pretty much everything. If you include the major compound lifts, it also helps improve cardiovascular fitness.