Replies

• natalie_journey
    natalie_journey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The scale and pictures! Ugh!
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went to my dr for a basic appointment and when she took my blood pressure she was in shock. She said it was so high I was in stroke territory. That was it for me! At 32 years old I didn't want to be dependent on blood pressure meds for the rest of my life. She gave me 90 days to make lifestyle changes and see if it went down. I went back to that appointment 28 pounds lighter with completely normal blood pressure. All of my other panels were good too. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Several things one being a conversation with my Dr. where he was quite excited about that fact that in 15 or so years my weight had only flucuated about 12 pounds. I got his point from a medical standing, his argument was 'how many people do you know from high school that have only gained 12 pounds since high school!' Yeah! but I was only 130 in high school, been out more than 15 years. After having a really discussion about MY health (one not based on a chart plastered on the wall) we came up with a goal for me and though I didn't start right then, I knew when I was ready it would happen.

My best friend started going to the gym and I tagged along with him one day. joined the next day, started changing my eating habits and one day a co-worker said - try this app!
  • wcorinne
    wcorinne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Being sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, photos (ugh!) and the scale motivated me to get off my butt (literally) and do something about it! One month in, I've lost almost 15 pounds, my clothes fit better, I look forward to getting up at 5am and going to Boot Camp class three mornings a week, no more indigestion or feeling bloated and defeated. I haven't felt this good in a long time.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been obese my entire adult life but always pretty functional until my knees both gave out - no cartilage in either one and need a double knee replacement but the dr. won't do unless I lose at least 100 lbs. I gained more weight due to inactivity and felt worse and worse. When I started getting out of breath just getting dressed, I finally dragged myself to the doctor and found out all in the same week that I had extremely high blood pressure, diabetes and significant heart disease. That was about 8 months ago. I managed to lose 30 lbs in 2013 just by changing what I was eating. My blood sugar is normal now due to my dietary changes and my blood pressure is normal now with medication. My heart disease has improved with medication and my lifestyle changes. In 2013 I was focused on what I was eating and now I am refining that to how much I am eating. Like my profile said, I am not yet ready for the big dirt nap so change is the menu of the day.
  • Sxy_Mace
    Options
    I'm another one who had a "photo" wake up call. My husband and I were at the grand opening of a bar with some friends and pictures were being taken of all the patrons. Needless to say when I found our picture on their Facebook page a week later, I about died. Something snapped in me finally and I realized that as a 28 year old woman, I had no business looking like that. My weight may have not been that horrendously high but on my 5'4" frame, weight is proportioned so I look probably 20-30 lbs heavier than I am, easily. From that night on, I vowed to change it and a year and a half later, I'm happy to say I am over 30 lbs down and most importantly am in a daily habit of working out, making more conscious food choices and have regained my body confidence that I haven't had in over a decade. :)
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mine was a visit to the bariatric surgery clinic for an information session. Hearing how horrible that surgery would be and how I would be limited to 900 calories pre-surgery and MIGHT get to eat 1200 daily calories some day long in the future was enough for me to decide that was not the route I wanted to travel. I want to have the occasional beer and I LIKE drinking water with my meals. I am also terrible at remembering to take supplements and this would be a permanent thing post-surgery as well so here I am.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Mine came when my fiancé and partner for 6.5 years walked out on me out of the blue on January 5th 2014 to be with another man. I don't know that it was a much as a wake up call to lose weight, per say, but more of a kick in the rear for me to try to better myself in general. I really didn't pay attention to the weight loss until a week or so after of not eating when I decided I needed to make something positive come out of this all and started paying more attention to my health.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My wake-up call was in 2010 when I was hospitalized with pneumonia, had knee surgery, developed high (scary high) blood pressure, and was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I should not have been surprised. I had regained the 50 pounds I'd lost a few years earlier, plus 10 more. That extra weight had started to take it's toll. Diabetes and complications from high blood pressure are endemic in my family; my mother has been injecting insulin for several years now. I was determined not to succumb to the same fate. Through Weight Watchers (a previously successful program) and now with "Eat To Live," I have lost 50 of those pounds and am no longer on any medication whatsoever. Life is good again.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    "If it's important you'll find a way. If it's not you'll find an excuse."
    Great quote! Thanks.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my so-called "fat clothes" started to be tight on me... THAT is a really crappy feeling. Then I weighed myself, which I had avoided doing for about a year. I cried like a baby that day, and haven't looked back!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I went to Ireland for 3 weeks. Realized what I wanted, though when I came back I tried going back to eating/drinking crap and my body rejected that. So it hit me that I was ready to change and my body was pushing me and encouraging me to do so.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Oh I have many but the big was when I had to start wearing a CPAP machine when I sleep because I stop breathing when I sleep.
    Other reasons are the expense of buying plus sized clothes and not being able to keep up with others when walking.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Met a girl at the beach wearing the same bathing suit as me. I thought she was a little bit slimmer than me, but I also thought she was a bit taller and smaller chested. It wasn't until we met each other in the bathrooms and I caught a glimpse of the two of use in the mirror that I realized that her height and chest size about matched my own. But I was much larger than her. It made me really realize just how much weight I had put on. I finally faced the scale and I was one pound away from crossing over from overweight to obese. I realized I needed to change. So I did.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    With me, I have a certain weight that I creep up to, and once I reach it I'm back on the healthy eating and exercise kick. I'm still in the 'healthy' range at this weight, the top end though, but I can feel the extra weight and I hate it.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :blushing:
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had two moments that contributed to my wake-up call.

The first was that I went on a mountain bike ride with my family and new boyfriend on Thanksgiving. I ended up getting out ridden by an eight year old and I was furious at myself for being incapable of keeping up with the group, not to mention how embarrassed I was that my boyfriend was seeing me at my worst. At the end of the ride, I started making excuses, telling myself I was just a bit out of shape, that my bike wasn't as high tech as everyone else's, that the trail was too rough and sandy, etc.

The truth didn't really sink in until I went for a medical check-up two months later and saw 175lbs flashing at me on the scale. It was the heaviest I had ever been and I was so ashamed. I started turning my health around the next day.
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When all the simple things now required grunts and groans....tying shoes, picking things up off the floor, etc...time to do something about that!
  • Vivh1765
    Vivh1765 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been a yo-yo dieter for years. There have been many times when I vowed to 'diet for the last time'; 'change my attitude to food'; etc. etc. But every New Year, I would start a spreadsheet - and I have them all going back 6 years. I lose a stone over a few months, then in the next six months put it back on - and then put a bit more on towards the end of the year.

I looked at all the spreadsheets and realised I was several stone heavier than the last time I was really shocked by my weight. I would love to weigh now what I vowed was too heavy 4 years ago. I decided I could do something about it now - or in 2 years time look back at pictures of me now and wish I was 'this thin' - i.e. about to cross from overweight to obese.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work in a job where I have to wear suits every day, and all my suits were fitting TIGHT after Christmas. I was in denial and didn't want to weigh myself, but I finally did and I had gained 10 pounds over the course of a month! It was a good wake up call as I had slid into some pretty unhealthy habits due to always having a good metabolism that never gained weight no matter what I ate.