Anyone have an overnight oatmeal recipe that tastes good?

Options
MamaFunky
MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
My kids and I made a cold overnight oatmeal recipe last night and it tasted awful! Does anyone have an overnight oatmeal recipe hot or cold that tastes good? Maybe we would like it better if I made it in the crockpot?

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I just do 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 2 tbsp. sugar free maple syrup, 1 tbsp. of stevia(or sweetener of choice), and a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. OR the oats, milk, 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa, and 1-2 tbsp. stevia. PB2 is good in there too..or fruit chunks like bananas, strawberries, or blueberries. I don't even always do it overnight...sometimes just a 1/2 hour before eating...long enough for the oats to soak up the milk and soften.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My kids and I made a cold overnight oatmeal recipe last night and it tasted awful! Does anyone have an overnight oatmeal recipe hot or cold that tastes good? Maybe we would like it better if I made it in the crockpot?

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

I tried the overnight oatmeal thing too using chocolate almond milk and coconut yogurt thinking it would taste good but it was bland - I also added half a banana and almonds. The calories ended up being higher than my normal breakfast sandwich of egg whites, turkey bacon with cheese. :frown:
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I tried this too and didn't care for it either. I now just stir in 1/4 cup of dry oats into 6 oz of greek yogurt and let it sit for a couple minutes and eat. I think it tastes pretty good and doesn't take much time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I only like it when it's made with steel cut oats, but overall, bleh.
  • LoriFernFroehlich
    Options
    My Grandson and I love the Flavored Instant Oatmeal with a cup of Vanilla Soy Milk & maybe some blueberries or a little banana added...

you definitely have to like cold oatmeal though for the over night stuff to work...
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I usually make it in the crockpot with steel cut oats, milk, cinnamon and apples. It tastes good but it sucks to clean the crockpot if you don't use one of those crockpot bags.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I LOVE overnight oats.

Ok here are a few I make.
    These are single servings for just me, you can double or triple it.
    You can use almonds instead of walnuts if you like. I have used sliced and whole almonds before.
    I prefer truvia but you can use splenda or sugar.

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 1/2 banana (freeze other half), 1/2c blueberries ( I use frozen), 2tbsp chopped walnuts, 1/2tsp cinnamon, 2 packets truvia.

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 1/2c mixed berries, 2tbsp chopped walnuts, 2 packets truvia. (berry cobbler)

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 1/4c pumpkin puree, 2tbsp chopped walnuts, 1tsp pumpkin pie spice, 3 packets truvia. (pumpkin pie)

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 1 apples diced, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp apple pie spice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, 2 packets truvia. (apple pie)

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 1 banana, 2 tbsp nuts, 2 packets truvia. (banana nut)

1/2c plain non fat greek yogurt, 1/4c oats, 4 diced strawberries, 1/2 banana, 2 packets truvia, 2tbsp nuts.

Mix together let them sit overnight. I use rolled oats.

or try these...http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've never made overnight hot oatmeal, but I LOVE overnight cold oatmeal.

Vanilla or other flavored yogurt
    steel cut oats (but really any kind work)
    milk
    frozen berries
    (I don't ever measure, just dump stuff in until I like the ratio - you can google for a recipe)

Optional: vanilla extract (vanilla + raspberry is amazing), chia seeds, flax seed, etc.

Just mix it all together the night before and it's ready in the morning (eat it cold). I make it in a mason jar and bring it to work for eating breakfast at work or even have it for lunch.
  • andresconejo
    Options
    YEsterday i made this amazing oatmeal, it's 1 serving but you can double it easily..

25 grams (1/2 cup) dry oatmeal
    40 grams (about 2 1/2 TBSP) sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup Unsweetened Almond MIlk or any milk
    1 orange (segments only)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp orange extract (or some orange juice)
    cinnamon
    2 TBSP Splenda,Stevia (Sweetener)

Bring everything to a boil except the orange segments, once it boils add the orange segments and reduce heat to low, let cook, stirring every 3-5 minutes until desired consistency :)
    It's delicious

EDIT: Sorry i didn`t saw you asked for overnight oatmeal, lol... however, you can try it overnight !
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I make the overnight cold, but I have to heat it up to eat it. I think it tastes nasty cold.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used this recipe - http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal . I increased the milk to 1/2c and left out the honey/maple but I loved these. I tried the berries and the mocha. I also made chocolate. Yummy.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    For the cooked recipe try this - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/08/09/basic-chocolate-oatmeal/ I bookmarked the page but am yet to try it.
  • clkubat
    clkubat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For a cold oatmeal smoothie, I add to my blender (I have one that has grab n go style individual cup): 1/2 cup raw oatmeal, 6 oz pomegranate kefir, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, and a scoop of strawberry protein powder (you could probably omit for the kids). Blend together until smooth, and enjoy. I like it fresh off the blender, but it could be refrigerated overnight for a quick breakfast on the go.
  • Giddy72
    Giddy72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    put a large, plastic measuring jug on some good electronic scales and......

add 30g Porridge Oats (Oatmeal)
    then make it up to 200g with skimmed milk
    then make it up to 210g with honey
    then make it up to 230g with dried cranberries

Put it in the microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes

remove, stir and replace for another 2 mins

Add a little cold water to get it to the consistency you require and enjoy!!

289 KCals and i eat it for breakfast every day
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This one is yummy

¼ cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
    ⅓ cup skim milk
    ¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
    1-½ teaspoons dried chia seeds
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon honey, optional (or substitute any preferred sweetener)
    ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar

In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add applesauce and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled, or warm in the microwave.

Nutritional Info: 210 calories, 4g fat, 48g carbs, 8g fiber, 11g protein; Weight Watchers Pts Plus: 7

found here: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/250917130/apple-cinnamon-refrigerator-oatmeal/
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats.

1 cup of steel cut oats

4 cups water

In crock pot on low over night.

I add greek yogurt and protein powder to my oats. :love:
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use the skinny taste overnight oats as a base and change it as I'd like:

1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
    1 tsp chia seeds
    Maple syrup to taste
    Cinnamon to taste
    Perhaps cardamom
    1/2 banana sliced
  • ajs1982
    ajs1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oatmeal in my crockpot...soooo good topped with blueberries.

8 cups water
    1 can coconut milk
    3 cups quick cooking oats (2 cups steel cut)
    1-2 tbsp vanilla

Cook on low 8 hours, sweeten with maple syrup or coconut sugar as desired, or top with fruit, nuts or shredded coconut
  • aubryannewilson
    aubryannewilson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I make overnight oats (the cold fridge kind) I use equal parts unsweetened almond milk and rolled oats, add unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered peanut butter, and honey to taste. Tastes just like a no bake cookie which definitely helps me with my sweet cravings. I've heard of people using chocolate protein powder in place of the cocoa powder but I haven't tried it yet.