TDEE Help

Options
Can somebody help me with TDEE please? I don't know how to work out how many calories I should be eating daily :(

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We'd need a few more statistics - height, current weight, goal weight, activity level......
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry haha! I'm 5'7", 200lbs and I swim for around 45 mins 5 days a week but I have a desk job.

My goal weight 140lbs or around there.

I think I'm getting confused because MFP says Im only allowed 1200 a day where if I google TDEE calculators, they say around 1900?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I used this calculator and put your age as 25, just to put a number in.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

At sedentary, your TDEE is 2025 (that's the amount of calories to eat to MAINTAIN your current weight, if you were sedentary)
    At light activity daily, your TDEE is 2320
    At moderate activity, your TDEE is 2616

So let's say you're lightly active. One way to determine how many calories to eat would be to use the TDEE-20% method. So for you, that would be eating 1856 calories every day.

Another way to go would be to eat 1600 calories every day, but eat more on the days you exercise.

In any case, as long as you're eating less than 2025 every day, you WILL be losing weight.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    Okie dokie - I've used http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and just plugged in my stats and it's given me 2128 calories per day. I put in moderate (3-5 hours a week) as I normally swim 5/6 days a week). Does that sound about right?

I'm scared that I'm going to eat too many calories, I've been stuck at between 197-202lbs for about 6 months now, thats why I stopped tracking the last time as I just got too disheartened, maybe wasnt eating enough?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe you weren't eating enough. Maybe you were miscalculating calories consumed or calories burned. In my experience, if you eat at greater than a 1000 per day calorie deficit, your weightloss can seem slower than expected.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    Awesome thank you - I'm going to up my calories to 1800 for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I had been eating 1200ish a day and not eating back exercise calories so that might be it.

Thank you all :)