Rapid unexpected weight loss

Options
Hi all, I have a question-
I have been using myfitnesspal for 4 weeks, and have successfully been dropping about a pound and a half each week. Yesterday I got on the scale and I was 140. Then this morning I weighed myself and I had dropped to 137. I mean I'm not trying to complain about the weight loss but I am a little concerned that I'm doing something wrong, especially since I have been getting a lot of.palpitations last couple days. Also I'm only supposed to be losing 1 pound a week, not 1.5, anyway. I just want to make sure I lose at a healthy rate. I eat 1450 a day, sometimes going a little over, and I don't feel deprived or hungry as long as I eat fiber. I haven't been exercising at all(guilty face) so no change there.I weigh myself everyday, although only record it every week, always first thing in the morning, always with nothing on. I have seen some slight fluctuations in the past due to bloating, but nothing this drastic. The only variable that has changed is I have a very slight cold, just a little sore throat, no stomach issues, no change in my eating habits. Has anyone else experienced a sudden drop like this? Should I be worried, or increase my calories?? Any input is appreciated!!

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Also although I was 140 yesterday I was 141 for 4 or 5 days before that, so really a 4 lb drop in one week..
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hmm...are you a little dehydrated from the cold maybe? Try drinking a little extra water or gatorade. Get some rest, feel better!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    your weight's gonna bounce around from day to day. don't worry about it, focus on weekly trends, not daily ones.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be for you to go talk to your family doctor. You want to rule out any other underlying issue that may be present. Congratulations on your weight loss progress though. Hope you feel better soon from the cold. ????
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have a question-
    I have been using myfitnesspal for 4 weeks, and have successfully been dropping about a pound and a half each week. Yesterday I got on the scale and I was 140. Then this morning I weighed myself and I had dropped to 137. I mean I'm not trying to complain about the weight loss but I am a little concerned that I'm doing something wrong, especially since I have been getting a lot of.palpitations last couple days. Also I'm only supposed to be losing 1 pound a week, not 1.5, anyway. I just want to make sure I lose at a healthy rate. I eat 1450 a day, sometimes going a little over, and I don't feel deprived or hungry as long as I eat fiber. I haven't been exercising at all(guilty face) so no change there.I weigh myself everyday, although only record it every week, always first thing in the morning, always with nothing on. I have seen some slight fluctuations in the past due to bloating, but nothing this drastic. The only variable that has changed is I have a very slight cold, just a little sore throat, no stomach issues, no change in my eating habits. Has anyone else experienced a sudden drop like this? Should I be worried, or increase my calories?? Any input is appreciated!!

It's quite likely the sudden drop is water weight. I have a tendency to carry a couple of pounds of water weight and then drop it suddenly. I wouldn't change calorie goals, just keep doing what you are doing. Don't just go by number on the scale, especially no on a day-to-day basis. Take measurements of yourself and track those. The trends of your measurements and your weight together, over time, will give you a much better picture of your results.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would increase your calories. If you are losing faster than predicted it just means that MFP underestimated your base TDEE. Believe it or not, you control the settings and eating more is not going to stall you.

As for the heart palpitations, I usually get them when my iron and hydration levels get really low. Drink lots- it can take a couple of days to rehydrate properly and if you arent already, consider a multi-vitamin in the meantime. Palpitations are actually pretty common, but if you are concerned see your Doc. They show up when the body is under stress so take it as a sign. Your doc is really the person to prescribe vitamins or other supplements, but you made need something because your lower cal diet isn't providing your body what it needs.

EDITS: PS. I tend to lose in drops, not gradually. I often see 1-3lbs over night and then nothing for a week or more. I look at the average over the weeks I have been on MFP and try to stick with only 1lb per week.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'd see the doctor re: the palpitations. The weight loss could be okay or not depending on how the pattern continues.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'd see the doctor re: the palpitations. The weight loss could be okay or not depending on how the pattern continues.

I missed the palpitations,probably should get that checked out.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Mention this. The 4 lb in one week can be water weight. If it persists then it could be a problem. Palpitations could be nothing or could be a medical issue.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    " especially since I have been getting a lot of.palpitations last couple days. "

The weight could easily be water weight, a normal fluctuation could be 3 to 5 pounds, so the weight loss may or may not be maintained.....probably not a cause for concern.

Did you mean that you are getting HEART "palpitations"? ( that sentence seems to be a little out of context)
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I personally had never seen that big a drop from water weight, so its very reassuring to hear that some of you have and that can be normal! @Linia, yes I meant heart palpitations. I know it seems out of context, but I mentioned it because I know they can be associated with nutritional deficiencies or thyroid issues (which also causes weight loss). If they persist I will definitely call my doctor, and just try to hydrate in the mean time
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing in daily - which I don't recommend as madness lies in that direction - be aware your weight will vary +/- two pounds just on water and food in the gut in 24 hours.
  • Tagwild12345
    Tagwild12345 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I can do that and Easley put it back on I wouldn't worry x
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation. You can vary around 5 pounds
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I personally had never seen that big a drop from water weight, so its very reassuring to hear that some of you have and that can be normal! @Linia, yes I meant heart palpitations. I know it seems out of context, but I mentioned it because I know they can be associated with nutritional deficiencies or thyroid issues (which also causes weight loss). If they persist I will definitely call my doctor, and just try to hydrate in the mean time

If you are drinking 8 glasses of water every day, keep in mind that's 4lbs of water moving through you every day. (plus food and water in food moving through you too). Your weight at any given weigh-in is just a matter of precisely how hydrated you are at that moment.

If you're going to weigh every day, I would recommend First thing in the morning, post-elimination. This is the point in the day that you are approaching your most dehydrated - you've had overnight with no intake, sweat out some water, and filled (and emptied) your bladder. This is going to be your most consistent checkpoint for weight, in terms of your hydraion status and how that can impact the number on the scale.

ETA: And I can gain 5 lbs just by eating chinese takeout for lunch. And then it's gone again in a day or 2 ...

ETAA: Dont mess around with heart palpitations. Call your doctor.