Pain down arm during BB Exercises ???

Options
When doing barbell squats, lunges, etc (anything with a barbell on my back), I get a pain that runs down my right arm from my shoulder down through the bicep. I have tried wider grip, different positioning, etc. but it still happens. I feel like something is getting bound up in there. Has anyone experienced this? What did you do about it?

I plan to see my doctor about it, but it’s a long process to go to the family doc, get referred, wait to be called, wait for the appointment, etc. I may have to switch to the leg press for my squats for a while but I’d prefer to do it right! Ideas?

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional, but I do have some experience with this. In my case it wasn't so much pain as tingling and numbness. What I found is that, for some people, the nerves sit a little closer to the surface. What will happen over time is that you pretty much de-sensitize that nerve so it doesn't fire like that every time. It's takes a month or so, but that's the case for me.

Also, I do my lunges holding the bar overhead like in an overhead squat rather than on my shoulders. You have to use less weight, but it is every bit as intense.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Does it only hurt when the bar is on your back? or does it hurt after? does anything else make it hurt? I am also not a doc, but have some experience in this, what the poster above said COULd be the culprit. An alternative is dumbell squats or front squats as those do not cause the bar to sit on a nerve. Overhead squats may also be an option, although those require a bit of practice and core strength....
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    switch to the leg press for my squats for a while

^This, and use dumbbells for your lunges.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different positions with the bar? high bar squats, vs. low bar squats. You could even switch to front squats if and use that position for lunges and squats.