What to do with condensed milk caramel from my pre-MFP days?

Options
Rosie_McA
Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
I have a number of tins of Carnation condensed milk caramel gathering dust in the cupboard and was wondering if anyone could suggest ways of using them up in the least calorie-heavy way?

I can find loads of ideas for things like banoffee pie or millionaire's shortbread, but these treats have a hit of around 400-500cals a piece!

Thx

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Make caramel filled chocolates for valentines day
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Toss them out ... or give them away to a skinny neighbor.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Heat a tablespoon and dip apple slices in the hot caramel for dessert.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i would probably make one of the tasty desserts you mentioned and then share it. when i make full fat desserts I will eat a little myself and then send the rest to work with my boyfriend or give the remainder to a friend. you get to indulge a little and everyone will love you. ;)
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i would probably make one of the tasty desserts you mentioned and then share it. when i make full fat desserts I will eat a little myself and then send the rest to work with my boyfriend or give the remainder to a friend. you get to indulge a little and everyone will love you. ;)
    I considered that but am not so sure after getting abuse on another thread from one of the site trolls for giving away shop bought cookies at work. I put that habit down to my mistake of shopping for food when I was hungry and then feeling guilty later. I don't do that anymore!
    Perhaps the millionaire's shortbread in very small squares when shared around the office would be ok (and one for me of course).

Also, I did find one recipe idea that is essentially an oatmeal base covered in the caramel and then topped out with a load of berry fruits (raspberries, blackberries, etc). Got to be better than the banoffee pie surely?
  • kerihig
    Options
    If you are really set on keeping it make what you want to and then eat one SMALL piece on a day you have been really good. Then you can either wrap the rest individually or keep it together and vac pac them and freeze it. I have goodies in my freezer that I forget about or am just too lazy and impatient to wait for it to defrost. microwaves do always make goodies taste good. Honestly its out of site and out of mind and if they are still there come xmas I make up treat trays and give them away. They are always welcome.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With apples or on crepes!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    <Inserting stand MFP forum answer>: You should leave it. It doesn't support your goals and is incompatible with you.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Include it in a donation to a food pantry...would be a nice treat that could be especially enjoyed by a family dealing with food insecurity.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I second making something, have a little piece for yourself, and bring it to work or to a party. It sounds like you have a bunch, so the idea of baby desserts for yourself (apples dipped in it a little at a time) may not be great.

Another option would be to add them to a donation to a food bank. Though they get lots of sweets and not enough nutritional items, I'm sure there are plenty of families that would love to get cans of the stuff to make goodies with!
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    donate to a food pantry?
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I considered that but am not so sure after getting abuse on another thread from one of the site trolls for giving away shop bought cookies at work.

Who cares what the trolls think?? If you want to make some treats and take them to work, then do it.
    It is your colleagues choice if they eat it or not.

I personally would make treats take some into work and freeze some in small portions for myself.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd either donate it, or try to make something freezable so it doesn't go to waste. What about using it to sweeten icebox cookies or cake or bread, something like that?