The 'Fat Acceptance' Movement

Options

Replies

• somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spirit of the movement having been obese most of my life. You really do get crapped on a lot for it. I don't just mean from doctors but sometimes from total strangers. It's not fun. No one should be demonized for their size. I think the message should emphasize compasion over flat out acceptance though. Generally speaking, being overweight isn't good for you in the long run. Can you be relatively healthy? Sure. But year over year it will catch up. I saw a question on one of the boards once that stuck with me. How many active overweight/obese seniors do you see?
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I don't think it's about celebrating an unhealthy lifestyle, it's about saying I deserve to be treated like a human being and not persecuted for my size. I read quite a bit around the fat acceptance movement. I hated my body and had very low self esteem when I was bigger. It wasn't until I accepted myself and be happy in own skin that I could make life style changes, which incidentally resulted in weight loss.

As people have said size is not a reliable indicator of health. The fat person could eat well and regularly exercise and the thin person smoke 30 a day and drink a bottle of vodka. Yet people look at you and make a judgement. I read a study that actually said people of overweight BMI were slightly more likely to be living longer than those of normal weight. It's an interesting read, there are limitations to the study as detailed in the link, but it did use a large number of studies. (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Overweight-people-live-longer-study-claims.aspx).

"obesity grades 2 and 3 are associated with higher death rates from any cause compared to normal weight individuals (around 30% increased risk). However, it also shows that lower grades of obesity (grade 1) do not increase the risk of death relative to normal-weight individuals and, in fact, overweight people had a small but significant reduction in their risk of death in the region of 6%."
  • i don't think there should be a Fat Acceptance movement.

But I do think there should be some serious gains made in helping women of ALL sizes to love themselves.

These acceptance movements come out of a need for women (and Men) to love themselves and not vilify their own bodies.

Personally, I think if you can truly, well and truly, learn to love yourself, you will learn and love to have you at your best you...

which means healthy and FIT.

screw the acceptance....we need to learn to love ourselves.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you're over 30 pounds overweight you're not healthy.

Wrong! I am considered overweight by 40 lbs. my blood pressure, labs (cholesterol, blood sugar), heart function are absolutely perfect according to my doctor. He has told me that if I choose not to lose another pound I will be perfectly fine. That is because I exercise daily and try to eat healthy most of the time. Now I cannot generalize and say this would be the same for every active 50 year old carrying an extra 40. BUT you also cannot generalize and say anyone 30lbs overweight is unhealthy. Individuality....

As for fat acceptance, it's like anything else. If fat people, gay people, black people, mentally retarded people etc. etc. etc. don't stand up for themselves and say it's ok to be who I am, no one else is going to do it for them. And blah blah blah we all have to pay into the health system that deals with some of their health problems. Just add it to the list.... The drinkers, the teen parents, the families that have 6 kids but neither parent works, there is a ton of people biting into the support pie. It's part of being in a developed country. Rather have that than live in a third world country where no one gives a crap for each other and it's a daily battle to survive.

You blood panel doesn't tell you how much pressure is being put on your joints, or what visceral fat is doing to your organs.

nor does the blood panel of a thin person relay any information regarding bone density. what's your point?

How is her point not obvious, and where did she say anything about thin women being healthy? Don't be mad that she is right even if it pertains to you.

Wow..
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Fat women have the right to feel good about themselves, just like everyone. However they need to stop "normalizing" being overweight, glorifying it even. First of all they are shaming every other body type while whining about being body shamed which is beyond annoying. And second of all they are huge "health at any size" advocates. I'm sorry, but if you're over 30 pounds overweight you're not healthy.

I agree and I was almost 80 lbs overweight. No, I should not feel bad about my body and no I don't think it's right to make fun of people overweight, however, being overweight is not healthy! It's not good for you! I agree, it should not be normalized.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think that it's fine to be OK with who you are and how you look. But ignoring the health risks of obesity is a bad, bad thing. Honestly, though, if someone's overweight in appearance but completely healthy, what's the big deal?

And embracing your size is 100% not the same as embracing being black or gay. You choose to eat unhealthy food and not exercise, which ultimately means that you choose to be overweight. Race and sexual orientation aren't choices, period the end.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Being too thin and being too overweight are both bad. If you're overweight and working on improving your health, I applaud you. I have all the respect in the world for you. I'm just saying that a sedentary person at 300 pounds preaching health is delusional. If you're underweight or recovering from an eating disorder and working to gain weight, I applaud you as well.

Well put!
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It turns out that there's actually a "DeathFatties" (their term) page for the morbidly obese:

http://deathfatties.tumblr.com/

It "serves as a mantle for those who are categorised by the (rather daft and flawed) BMI chart as morbidly obese. This tumblr is dedicated to showcasing the vitality and visibility of those who self-identify as "deathfat".

If you want to contribute your fabulosity to the tumblr, use the submit form."

That does not sound healthy...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This thread is probably not going to end well.

But before it is nuked or goes completely down the toilet...

Fat acceptance is many things to many people -- and it's hard to pin down because some people take it to extremes, while people remain moderate.

To me, fat acceptance is about embracing the body you have and learning to love it despite its "flaws". Does that mean you don't try to lose weight? No.It just means that you accept that, if you are fat/thin/in between that you are still worthy of love and should treat yourself well and not let others treat you crap because of how you look.

For many, many people shame and self loathing aren't effective motivators. If you love your body and truly want to honor it - the idea is you start making choices that will hopefully bring/keep you in good health -- which likely means weight loss if you are overweight/obese.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people responding to these threads have never actually visited a fat acceptance blog. These people are not simply saying "Stop being mean to me just because I'm fat." They blog about being fat like it's something to aspire to, the same as these anorexic teenagers post pictures demonstrating that they can see their ribs through their backs, like it's some great accomplishment.

I don't believe in mocking anyone for their appearance, but I will absolutely call you an idiot for telling everyone that being obese is a good thing. Yes, love yourself, no matter what size you are, but if you are unhealthy, love yourself enough to change that, and stop acting like a medical professional saying "You eat too much, and it's going to kill you eventually" equates to he/she being mean to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it is a free country .if you want to be fat, be fat; you want to be thin, be thin; but when you get sick or unhealthy from either condition just don't expect me to foot the bill...
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people responding to these threads have never actually visited a fat acceptance blog. These people are not simply saying "Stop being mean to me just because I'm fat." They blog about being fat like it's something to aspire to, the same as these anorexic teenagers post pictures demonstrating that they can see their ribs through their backs, like it's some great accomplishment.

I don't believe in mocking anyone for their appearance, but I will absolutely call you an idiot for telling everyone that being obese is a good thing. Yes, love yourself, no matter what size you are, but if you are unhealthy, love yourself enough to change that, and stop acting like a medical professional saying "You eat too much, and it's going to kill you eventually" equates to he/she being mean to you.

Exactly this.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about obesity as I do smoking. If you choose to smoke, that's your body and your business.Some people smoke their entire lives without any health problems. However, don't go around acting like it's good for you and demonizing anyone that tries to stay away from it. This whole "fat acceptance movement" is so strange to me. How about just having a BODY ACCEPTANCE movement. EVERYONE should be accepted and no one should be mocked for how they choose to look. The biggest flaw in this "fat acceptance" movement is that more often than not, the people that rant and rave about fat acceptance are usually the same ones to post things like "Real men want Curves. Bones are for dogs" and go around hating on various fitness "gurus" online. On top of that, why do people care what others think of them? If you like wearing your bikini, wear it! Why the hell do you need other people to "accept" it?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY BUT FAILED! Thank you. :)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

If you think that is what the majority of fat acceptance blogs are about I don't think you have read them, or you are reading the fringe ones that are not representative of the community. I have never seen a fat acceptance blog that has advocated putting on weight.
  • 5thbidness
    5thbidness Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Wrong! I am considered overweight by 40 lbs. my blood pressure, labs (cholesterol, blood sugar), heart function are absolutely perfect according to my doctor. He has told me that if I choose not to lose another pound I will be perfectly fine. That is because I exercise daily and try to eat healthy most of the time. Now I cannot generalize and say this would be the same for every active 50 year old carrying an extra 40. BUT you also cannot generalize and say anyone 30lbs overweight is unhealthy. Individuality....

As for fat acceptance, it's like anything else. If fat people, gay people, black people, mentally retarded people etc. etc. etc. don't stand up for themselves and say it's ok to be who I am, no one else is going to do it for them. And blah blah blah we all have to pay into the health system that deals with some of their health problems. Just add it to the list.... The drinkers, the teen parents, the families that have 6 kids but neither parent works, there is a ton of people biting into the support pie. It's part of being in a developed country. Rather have that than live in a third world country where no one gives a crap for each other and it's a daily battle to survive.

You blood panel doesn't tell you how much pressure is being put on your joints, or what visceral fat is doing to your organs.

nor does the blood panel of a thin person relay any information regarding bone density. what's your point?

How is her point not obvious, and where did she say anything about thin women being healthy? Don't be mad that she is right even if it pertains to you.

ablah? her post implied that accepted medical test results indicating good health are possibly not providing a full picture of patient health. as far as that goes, i agree, however assuming that someone fat *must* have secret undetected health problems based entirely on a socially determined appearance ideal is illogical. for what it's worth (which is not much) i'm not angry, and this isn't personal. i'm a conventionally attractive woman (so many unfounded assumptions!)... can you look at my symmetrical bone structure and postulate about the condition of my various and complex biological systems? does that single factor tell you anything useful about my mental health?

with respect to the population-borne cost of obesity related health care, it's a slippery slope: for example, do we restrict access for people who run long distances because they are statistically more likely to suffer overuse injuries? call me canadian, but i'm a fan of socialized, subsidized and accessible health care for everyone--not just the individuals who think and choose in accordance with my personal values.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

ablah? her post implied that accepted medical test results indicating good health are possibly not providing a full picture of patient health. as far as that goes, i agree, however assuming that someone fat *must* have secret undetected health problems based entirely on a socially determined appearance ideal is illogical. for what it's worth (which is not much) i'm not angry, and this isn't personal. i'm a conventionally attractive woman (so many unfounded assumptions!)... can you look at my symmetrical bone structure and postulate about the condition of my various and complex biological systems? does that single factor tell you anything useful about my mental health?

with respect to the population-borne cost of obesity related health care, it's a slippery slope: for example, do we restrict access for people who run long distances because they are statistically more likely to suffer overuse injuries? call me canadian, but i'm a fan of socialized, subsidized and accessible health care for everyone--not just the individuals who think and choose in accordance with my personal values.

Even skinny and/or fit people can have undetected health issues, I acknowledge this. I'm just saying by choosing consciously to be overweight and stay that way, without regard for the effects, is irresponsible. Fat acceptance blogs advocate that there is no need to lose weight, and deny the reality that extra weight can jeopardize their health.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    size is not a reliable indicator of health, at any point on the spectrum.

RIght, that 600lb women was the specimen of health.
  • 5thbidness
    5thbidness Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    size is not a reliable indicator of health, at any point on the spectrum.

RIght, that 600lb women was the specimen of health.

fine. i'll concede to eliminate extreme outliers on either end.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When I first read it, I was like huh, but people bring up good points. We should all be comfortable in our own skins. And some Doctors stats are misleading. BMI for instance calls me borderline obese, and the doctor thinks I need to lose 20 lbs, then I take my shirt off an point out that I am only carrying 22% BF. Some of the medical community's standards are too generic. I love having to point out the exclusions at the bottom of the charts.

But to say that fat should be accepted, well if you are happy then fine. We should all be happy in our skins. But I do not think that it should be promoted either. Of course I do not think actors and actresses should be airbrushed to look "better" either. Or that models should not be real people not the skinny extremes. Lets be real. Lets have real goals.

Your health is your choice, but that does not stop me from encouraging friends and family from trying to be healthier.