Been a Decade Since I've Been Inside A Gym

Options
My wife signed me in as a free guest last night at Planet Fitness. My last gym visit was at the beginning of our marriage at the then Fitness Connection. I was nervous, intimidated, and sweating before I even stepped on the treadmill. I ended up doing a 1.5 run coupled with a start up walk, a midway walk, and a cool down. Still feeling like there was gas in the tank, I made my way over to the desk and asked an employee to walk me through their ab station. 8 machines and 13 minutes later, I threw up a little. Making my way back to my wife, she finished her treadmill and together we made for the door.....and passed a giant table of pizza. Dozens of boxes of Papa John's pizza just as you are leaving. At first I was horrified, but today I realize I haven't been eating back the calories I've been expending. Not just last night but the runs around the block, the total body stuff I try and do at home. Maybe a late night piece of pizza is the answer?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    What is the question?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a piece of pizza if it fits your calories/macros.

The ab circuit is probably not the best use of your time at the gym.
    I would say squats and deadlifts but..uhm..Planet Fitness.
  • tmarie514
    tmarie514 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Replenishing is critical! There is definitely a balance between cutting back enough to hit your goals and cutting back too far. Try not to think of any food, or food in general, as a hindrance, but make smart choices about how you refuel and your body will thank and reward you.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My wife signed me in as a free guest last night at Planet Fitness. My last gym visit was at the beginning of our marriage at the then Fitness Connection. I was nervous, intimidated, and sweating before I even stepped on the treadmill. I ended up doing a 1.5 run coupled with a start up walk, a midway walk, and a cool down. Still feeling like there was gas in the tank, I made my way over to the desk and asked an employee to walk me through their ab station. 8 machines and 13 minutes later, I threw up a little. Making my way back to my wife, she finished her treadmill and together we made for the door.....and passed a giant table of pizza. Dozens of boxes of Papa John's pizza just as you are leaving. At first I was horrified, but today I realize I haven't been eating back the calories I've been expending. Not just last night but the runs around the block, the total body stuff I try and do at home. Maybe a late night piece of pizza is the answer?

I would say skip the 8 machines of ab workout, and use it on something more useful. Start with something like doing one set of squats, or dead lifts or overhead presses, that work the total body including the core, and work your way up from there. You will probably burn as many calories or more all with out the throwing up. Your ab muscles can only get so big, and by working them out, you aren't burning belly fat.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Replenishing is critical! There is definitely a balance between cutting back enough to hit your goals and cutting back too far. Try not to think of any food, or food in general, as a hindrance, but make smart choices about how you refuel and your body will thank and reward you.

yes

And Haunting, yes I will probably avoid the ab circuit in the future. I'm still not sure if I was doing some of them correctly or not and was trying to copy the girl and her dad that were in front of me. And it was Planet Fitness because the dues were low and she can take a guest for free.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would say skip the 8 machines of ab workout, and use it on something more useful. Start with something like doing one set of squats, or dead lifts or overhead presses, that work the total body including the core, and work your way up from there. You will probably burn as many calories or more all with out the throwing up. Your ab muscles can only get so big, and by working them out, you aren't burning belly fat.

WHAT?!?! Once again, the apparent truth is opposed to my preconceptions. If I do a bunch of ab exercises, the direct result is NOT that my stomach gets smaller? Damn this ignorance...