Poor choices of a college student

Options
So on Tuesdays I leave work early and have classes till 10 so my food is kind of different on days like today! The school cafeteria is no where near my classes and closes before my first one is over so I can't warm up my food. I have decided to drink my casein and eat beef jerky between my lab and class. Sounds logical right? But than you remember you forgot your gum...awesome. "Excuse my breathe smart lab partner, please don't leave me"

Replies

• SlashofBlue
    Options
    Lots of times, the college life is not conductive to healthy eating (understatement of the century!). Oftentimes, I am in a similar situation--leave the house early, return late. I have found the best thing to do is carry a lunch box. It sounds a little 2nd grade, but toting food around with you is the best option.

While it involves some prep, it sounds like you are not doing this every day (if so, maybe you should reconsider your schedule). Make some things ahead of time so you can grab them on your busy days.

This does not mean you are confined to sandwiches (which are a great tot-along food)! Pasta, salad, rice, eggs, veggies, some meats, etc are all good cold. Also, baggies of carrots, broccoli, nuts, etc are good to bring along. Use meal times as a time to rest (even if you are between classes, etc). Find a bench, table, something where you can sit and eat some bites from your lunch box. It sounds like you have scraps of time--which is where those baggies come in handy! You can eat a handful of nuts in a jiffy. These snacks also take care of the breath problem :smile:

Also in your pack, bring a bottle that you can fill up around at water fountains. Drinking can help with feelings of appetite (not hunger) and keep you hydrated.

Those long days can be stressful!