Snow during my half marathon this weekend...help!

Options
I am supposed to run a trail half marathon this weekend. I just looked at the weather and saw that 1 to 3 inches of snow is forecasted for the time that the run is taking place. I live in Seattle and I'm used to running with damp feet, but the weather isn't usually this cold and we rarely have low snow.

I already know that there will be rocks and roots, and mostly single-track trails...but snow, too? ...and ice. Any tips for surviving this? I'm not sure what clothing to wear to keep the heat in. I'm more afraid of what to do about my feet once they get wet in weather that might be in the 20's. I will be crossing streams and running in mud.

Once I'm out on the trail, I'm pretty much on my own as the aid stations are pretty far apart, so I need to make sure I'm prepared. Should I suck it up and go for it, or just sleep in and stay warm? This will be my 7th half marathon and 2nd trail half. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Depends on your shoes. REI carries trail running gaiters and slip on ice chains for your shoes .... screws into the soles work as ice studs too ... it's a bit late for buying a new style of shoes and trying them out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd bail...but I'm a pretty fare weather kinda guy. I'd be pretty worried about my feet freezing, not to mention other injuries that could happen trail running if you have partially numb feet from the cold. Again, that's just me...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If safety is a concern don't go. Be logical here.
  • jacquel13
    jacquel13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I live in WY, and it's ALWAYS snowing or icy this time of year. I went out for a (mostly) road run in 6 in. of snow on unplowed streets recently, wearing YakTraks. They cost maybe $35, and I never fell once! Not too annoying to run in, either. Maybe you could plan on wearing wool or synthetic socks and plan onbringing a spare pair? Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/photos/gaining-traction

As far as clothing ... moisture wick base layer, water repellent outer layer, gaiters help to keep water/snow/mud from getting in the top of your shoes. Smartwool or goretex socks to help keep the moisture from your feet .... carry clean, dry socks with you just in case .... another pair at the end with dry shoes to change into after the run.

Be more mindful of your foot placement on the trail as you run.
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    I agree with contingency.... sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.... live to fight another day.

Also, never try out new gear during a race, especially shoes.

You need to break things in, especially if you are talking half marathon in trails.