Need Support and Motivation

Options
Hi, everyone, my name is Sam(antha). I have been battling losing the weight for a while now. Started eating fruits and veggies more in my diet back in October, and I haven't noticed much of a change :(. I have lost focus, started splurging more again, and weigh more now than I did back in October. I am happy to say I have started working out more, but I am not seeing any changes. I started eating smaller meals and smaller portions, and inquired more fruit and veggies into my diet than before. But, frustrated I haven't seen a whole lot. I am with a wonderful person and he and I are talking about getting married, and all I see if this bigger girl walking down in a wedding dress. I want to feel stunning on my wedding day, and I do not want to be 150 pounds prepregnancy being only 5 foot 1 and could possibly be 200 pounds after pregnancy. I want to look better, feel better and feel amazing.

One thing I have noticed in my weight flexing, when I do cardio or work exercise into my life, weight seems to fall off. I started walking in junior high every night for an hour only,l and in three months I lost 15 pounds. I didn't do anything different other than walk. In college, after I had gained about 35 pounds, I started working at a fast food restaurant, and surprisingly from all the moving and being on my feet, sometimes for 12 hours at a time, I went from 147 down to 123 pounds in 6 months. I would work through dinner most nights, and when I would get home sometimes at 11 I would just go to bed or eat something small and quick. Once I started working at a desk, within 4 months I gained all that weight back.

So, here is my plea, can anyone tell me something I can do at home after work to improve my body? I don't have the money for a membership or a treadmill. I go to my friends about three times a week and we try to work out at least that much. I do get bored just walking on that and staying in one spot. Once it warms up I plan on being out more. But my goal is to go from 150 down to 130 by July. Does that seem like a good goal? Also, does anyone know of anything else good for me besides tuna and salad? I need some variety. I struggle withouth variety, and when that happens I tend to go for my comfort food cravings.

Thanks all!

Replies

• badwolf4
    badwolf4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have any gaming systems (you need one of these: Wii, WiiU, Playstation3 or 4, Xbox one or 360), but if you do the Just Dance franchise just came out with Just Dance 2014. It has a great mixture of current radio songs and sorts you find on every dance game. One of the best features intro'd in this update (as far as I know) is it counts calories even if you're not in the special "Just Sweat" mode.

It's fun, active, and can even be done with friends!

Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Muzfox
    Options
    I'm just getting back into fitness and exercise myself. Motivation and finding the time have always been the hardest things for me with regards to exercise. At the moment I"m doing a few things and they are working extremely well for me.

Firstly, I'm using apps, I'm a bit of a geek like that and it's fun :) There is an app for called "The Walk" I have it on android. Think of a game where you have quests, targets, side quests, goals etc that require you to walk to achieve them. If you complete the entire app you have just walked across England! Put the head phones in, kick the app off and it narates/talks to you the entire time, and gives you options to do as you walk, walk abit further or for another 3 minutes to get a bonus item etc...it's a fantastic motivation tool, I actually look forward to getting up early to play my next game :)

Also, for when I'm time poor, which is often, I have another app called Daily Workouts. It is basically a personal trainer on my phone, but with no equipment required, and you have a video of every exercise you have to perform. You set how hard, how long and then just follow the app. Massive workout, varies from over 1500+ exercises so it's never repetitive.

Have a look around at what's out there, these things certainly make life more interesting. I'm aiming for when I can start running (need to lose more weight to give some relief to an old ankle injury) and then I'll be getting the app "Zombies! Run!" ... I think the name says it all :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I can here from your other post lol

If you don't like walking in one spot, you definitely don't want the Leslie Sansone dvd suggested in the other thread.

Youtube has lots of workouts on it - people have added a bunch of Jillian Michaels stuff I've been told.
    I've heard of "Fitness Blender" being mentioned as well but I haven't checked it out.

I highly suggest looking at the Nerdfitness Beginners Bodyweight routine.
    You can do the routine using some household items or weights if you can afford them.
    It isn't an every day workout - it's 3 times a week.

There's also "You are your own gym" and "Convict Conditioning" which take little to no equipment.
    It's the cost of a book or an app. so up to like 20$ maybe.

As for food:
    chicken, all fish & seafood, lean meats (pork, beef, chicken, turkey,, etc)
    salads
    fruits
    greek yogurt, eggs
    cheese
    Reese's cups
    quinoa
    brown rice
    ice cream

Everything is fine for you in moderation.
    Don't try to cut out foods you enjoy just to lose weight, you won't be as successful.
    By keeping the foods you like in your diet, you'll have an easier time switching to maintenance when the time comes.

Make sure you've set yourself up for success and haven't picked too aggressive of a goal.
    You want to lose 20 pounds, maybe 30, so you really shouldn't have set MFP at any more than 1lb/week
  • Sztheday
    Sztheday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Exercising is a great way to enhance weight loss, but what and when you eat are also important. My starting weight and goal are similar to yours. Good luck!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Exercising is a great way to enhance weight loss, but what and when you eat are also important. My starting weight and goal are similar to yours. Good luck!

When you eat is not important.

Plenty of people are successful eating 1 large meal a day. At 4pm or whatever.
    Meal timing and frequency is a personal preference
  • PMZee
    PMZee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are tons of inexpensive fitness DVDs that use little to no equipment. Check out totalfitnessdvd.com.