focus only on cardio or tone too?

Options
I weigh 169. Want to be down to 140 is my first goal. Should I focus on more cardio to loose the weight or do both? I want to do zumba and Brazil butt lift.

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit causes you to lose weight, cardio is for your lungs and heart, strength training is for toning and building muscles. What you should do is determine what results you want, one or the other, or all three, and do that (those).
  • krystaal870
    Options
    Cardio is for your lungs and heart, strength training is for toning and building muscles. What you should do is determine what results you, one or the other, or both. And do that (those).

Both.. thanks
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for your lungs and heart, strength training is for toning and building muscles. What you should do is determine what results you, one or the other, or both. And do that (those).

what she said. I find that by using weights, and going heavy, I burn burn burn way more fat and feel amazing for the next 24 hours. So I'd like to encourage you to definately do both, and include heavy weights.

good luck.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I edited my comment to include weight loss. And she is a he. : )
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Both is a great combo and keeps things interesting...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i would go with three days heavy lifting using compound movements and two days of cardio…when you get to 140 then go more lifting and less calories…

starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources for lifting heavy with compound movements..
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    You can turn weights into cardio by keeping rest short between sets and keeping your heart rate up. Bottom line, do whatever will keep you coming back every day and seek out new activities to keep you challenged, focus on your calorie intake and keep it lowering it till you see the lbs coming off then stay there until you reach your ideal weight. Once there you can choose to ramp up the toning, stay same or go in any direction you choose... Good luck and keep working hard, it will happen...
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You will lose much more weight based on what you do in your kitchen than you will on what you do at the gym.
    Go to the gym to get fitter but eat properly to lose weight.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do both...2 days of full body strength training and 3 days of cardio - works for me :)
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i would go with three days heavy lifting using compound movements and two days of cardio…when you get to 140 then go more lifting and less calories…

starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources for lifting heavy with compound movements..

This is close to what I do now, love it, and getting good results.
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    Based on the way you framed your question, I'm going to presume that you are new to, for lack of a better term, "fitness". (By the way, I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

If you can spare it, taking some time to do research online and arming yourself with knowledge will prove invaluable. The funny part about forums is that you get so many different kinds of advice, it's hard to pick and choose which one is right (as if there is only one right answer anyhow). It doesn't help that the rules seem to change all the time. Just as one example, it used to all be about eating six small meals a day. Now, intermittent fasting is encroaching on that paradigm.

Do some homework, and you'll be glad you did. In the meantime, Zumba seems to be a great calorie burner for now, but you'll have to start looking into proper nutrition and ideally some kind of strength resistance training (as you don't want to become what is known as "skinny fat"). But that's for you to decide.

Good luck!