How do you lower your body fat percentage?

Hi! I'm close to being underweight for my height, but I have a high body fat % and barely any muscle with most of the fat being around my midsection. I'd love to lose the fat, but I don't know how because I have heard strength training does not burn fat, just develop the muscle underneath the fat.

Please help!!

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    EDIT - missed the underweight part. Stupid post on my part - ignore my advice and listen to these others, OP.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Create a caloric deficit. Strength train to maintain lean muscle mass.

NO! If you are at the bottom of your weight range DO NOT DO THIS!

Instead, eat more protein and start a strength training program. In this way, you will build muscles, so that your lean body mass (organs +bones +muscles) will increase, meaning that your percentage will decrease.
  • Yeah, if you are close to underweight the last thing you want to do is restrict calories. Just load up on protein and don't eat excessive amounts of anything else - especially processed foods. MFP is helpful for tracking the balance of your diet, as opposed to just the calories.
  • Oh yeah. And work out a lot. Go to a fitness studio, find an intelligent trainer, and figure out what kind of muscle groups you should be working on. You might need to look around before you find someone who can actually figure you out.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Lift heavy, get appropriate protein. Build lean mass first, recomp later.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    EDIT - missed the underweight part. Stupid post on my part - ignore my advice and listen to these others, OP.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: