Are any of these HRM any good?

xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I was at Wally Mart and they had these:

Sportline S7 7 Function ECG Heart Rate Watch

or

Sportline SX Universal Combo ECG Heart Rate Monitor (Functions W/WO Chest Belt)

or

Sportline S12 12 Function ECG Heart Rate Watch

So, does anyone have one of these and does it work? I don't care about how many functions it has, I just want to see the calories, I don't want it to make dinner for me.

Replies

• I would invest in a POLAR. You wont be sorry. I've had my Polar F6 for 2 1/2 years and i still love it.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I have tried a few over time and over all they are fairly good. Just don't expect any to be 100% but they will give you a good sample of your cal burn. They are also good for when you go walking or running if they have dist on them as well.

After 3 years of tring different ones, I broke down and got me a Forerunner® 305 by Garmin but only use a small part of it functions but sure do love how accurate it is.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Heard a lot of things from people on here they are break after a couple months, it seems you get what you pay for with HRMs
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    If you want a half way decent one for not a lot of money look on ebay for either the Reebok or Proform Precision XT heart rate monitor. That is what I have and I LOVE it. They should be between 35 and 40 bucks on there. (used to be anyway) If you want to know more about them you can message me.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Hi there,

Not sure about any of the ones you mentioned. I got the Timex T5H881 from Wal Mart and it's worked very well for me.
    You can look up what customers thought of the ones you mentioned online if no one gets back to you about them.
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    I have a polar HRM and I love it. I wear it for cycling, running, walking and for the wii active. I like you was mainly interested in the calorie burn but I do find I've really enjoyed seeing where my heart rate is with different forms of exercise!
    I bought mine used off of kijiji and have had no issues.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    One of the pluses to getting a Polar is check any exercise machines you use. Alot of times they will be compatable to Polar HRMs so you can see your HR on the screen and don't have to keep looking at the wrist watch to see how you are doing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I was at Wally Mart and they had these:

or

or

So, does anyone have one of these and does it work? I don't care about how many functions it has, I just want to see the calories, I don't want it to make dinner for me.

No-they will give you a "calorie" number but any accuracy will be due to random chance rather than design.
  • I was at Wally Mart and they had these:

or

or

no. and go polar
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    This is a reply I posted to another member, but may be helpful before parting with your money........

Any HR monitor can be used to calculate calorie expenditure, BUT, an essential piece of information is needed first.

This is your 'VO2max', i.e., your 'aerobic capacity' or current cardiovascular fitness level.

This can be determined by doing a fitness test with the help of a fitness instructor/personal trainer at your health club. (However, not all of them are trained and qualified to perform these tests, so check first.)

If you manage to get this done, you can then work out calorie expenditure at any given intensity, using a HR monitor, for any activity. The instructor can show you how to do this, and it can be done even with the cheapest monitors. A 'calories burned' function is unnecessary.

BTW.....If a HR monitor 'claims' to be able to calculate calorie expenditure, it will only be accurate if it allows you to enter your 'VO2max' value. (Few can). Without this information, the value shown will be a wild estimate - despite what the manufacturers say!
This discussion has been closed.