Am I Zig-Zagging Correctly?

Options
Okay, so what I want to start doing is Zig-Zagging my calories, but I am not quite sure how to make sense of it..... Now, based on having 1200 net calories per day this is (approximately) how many calories I would have to eat per day

Sunday - 2300 calories
Monday - 2000 calories
Tuesday - 2300 calories
Wednesday - 1900 calories
Thursday - 2200 calories
Friday - 1900 calories
Saturday - 2300 calories

Should I work out less a few days? Also keep in mind that I walk a lot too, but that isn't added into my calculations....
Any feedback would be nice :)

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I believe that true "zig-zagging" means that your net calories won't stay the same day-to-day. For example, I "zig-zag" between maintenance calories, a 250-cal deficit, and a 500-cal deficit. There's nothing wrong with this approach, but this is just regular calorie restriction adjusted for exercise, not "zig-zagging."
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to zig-zag your calories? What is the goal you're pursuing?

And that's a lot of calories to bnurn through exercise - presume you're doing a *lot* or exercise?

Anyway - you'll get better advice if you explain what you are trying to accomplish. Cheers.
  • pichu_318
    pichu_318 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 85 pounds total at about 2 pounds a week. I want to zig-zag because I've heard that it tricks your body into upping your metabolism. I average on 1000 calories of exercise a day.

So should I be zig zagging the amount of calories I eat, or the net amount of calories per day? :S My "table" is zig-zagging the amount of calories I eat in order to have my net calories at 1200....
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator-after you enter your info it will give you the option to zig zag the calories and it will break it down for you :)
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 85 pounds total at about 2 pounds a week. I want to zig-zag because I've heard that it tricks your body into upping your metabolism. I average on 1000 calories of exercise a day.

So should I be zig zagging the amount of calories I eat, or the net amount of calories per day? :S My "table" is zig-zagging the amount of calories I eat in order to have my net calories at 1200....

Frankly, this is silly. You don't need to trick your body into anything.

Focus on the stuff that matters. Consistent calorie deficit is the name of the game here. Consistency and adherence are your absolute #1 priorities. Don't overcomplicate things. Keep it simple.

1) Calorie deficit.
    2) Several servings of fruits and veggies every day
    3) Eat enough protein
    4) Eat enough fat
    5) Resistance training
    6) There is no 6
  • LilPuertarican
    LilPuertarican Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This is just silly you don't trick your metabolism into anything it just does what it does. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight that's all you need no magic formulas. No magic fairy dust health supplements just some basic Maths and some will power
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you want your body to burn as many calories as possible you need to maintain as much lean body mass as possible by strength training and eat a balanced diet. You can't trick your body, the only way to increase your metabolism is by adding muscle and that is extremely hard to do while eating at a deficit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Frankly, this is silly. You don't need to trick your body into anything.

Focus on the stuff that matters. Consistent calorie deficit is the name of the game here. Consistency and adherence are your absolute #1 priorities. Don't overcomplicate things. Keep it simple.

1) Calorie deficit.
    2) Several servings of fruits and veggies every day
    3) Eat enough protein
    4) Eat enough fat
    5) Resistance training
    6) There is no 6

+1
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree, but it's only based on personal experience (well, and some vague reading of research on fat-hormone levels and signalling). Anyway, I do much better when my calories go up and down. Part of it is that I really get less hungry after a big day. I naturally eat less the next day or two, and my weekly intake number ends up lower.

I don't know if it would work the same if my calories equal what they would have without a zig-zag for the week. Once I started tracking the weekly average, I noticed I ate less.

But don't be afraid to experiment (as long as it's still healthy). Why not, right? I wouldn't do it unless things seemed to not be working as well as they should, though. If the simple, regular math works great, don't bother :)
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do zig zag and have had great success with it. I tend to on day 4 of the week have a real spike in the calories i eat...and day 5-7 of the week (so the 3 days before weigh in) they are my lowest days. So for example I weigh in on wednesdays....on saturdays (day 4) i eat 2000 calories....monday 1400 (day6), tuesday 1300 (day 7)