High Protein, Low calorie

Options
I was wanting some advice on how to reach my macros for Protein. I have it set so that I need 105grams a day based on 1lb/lb LBM. I am usually about 20-30 short.

I eat a lot of eggs, peanut butter, peanuts, and chicken....but I still dont reach it. I am usually right around my 1400 calorie limit ... is deficit too low for that amount of protein to be realistic?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin! I roast mine with Dijon mustard, caraway seed and celery seed. Three ounces is 90 calories and quite a bit of protein.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I find it tough to reach high protein goals on a decent deficit without going the protein shake / powder / bar route to supplement my meals (or otherwise seriously undercutting my other macronutrient goals in pursuit of protein). A decent protein powder in water can add a lot of protein with a min of calories. A protein bar can add a fair bit of protein and gives me a more sated feeling than a powder shake does. I want to get enough fat and carbs, and I like to indulge in things like sugary coffee creamer and booze, and I find I need protein supplements to meet these sometimes conflicting goals. I don't have anything against protein powders - like them in fact and will use them through maintenance and gaining weight - just saying I'd find it hard to meet a high protein target while on a deficit and still indulge in some of the things I want to indulge in.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I find it tough to reach high protein goals on a decent deficit without going the protein shake / powder / bar route to supplement my meals (or otherwise seriously undercutting my other macronutrient goals in pursuit of protein). A decent protein powder in water can add a lot of protein with a min of calories. A protein bar can add a fair bit of protein and gives me a more sated feeling than a powder shake does. I want to get enough fat and carbs, and I like to indulge in things like sugary coffee creamer and booze, and I find I need protein supplements to meet these sometimes conflicting goals. I don't have anything against protein powders - like them in fact and will use them through maintenance and gaining weight - just saying I'd find it hard to meet a high protein target while on a deficit and still indulge in some of the things I want to indulge in.

I totally agree. That is kind of how I am feeling. I enjoy protein bars, but I am not a big protein shake person. And I really dont want to miss out on my breakfast foods to substitute. Kind of a bummer....
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    obviously your ok with animals so ... shellfish, esp bivalves are low kcal high nutrient protein sources. also fish but that's higher kcal, check out some other cuts of meat heart, kidney, liver, tendon, certain tripe varietes, feet ect have pretty good nutrition stats also. though there are higher toxicity concerns with organ meat so be sure to source your animal products well.
    legumes are highly satiating, so that's another {cheaper} option. seaweed is also high protein. and leafy greens (percentage of macro breakdown that is)
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    obviously your ok with animals so ... shellfish, esp bivalves are low kcal high nutrient protein sources. also fish but that's higher kcal, check out some other cuts of meat heart, kidney, liver, tendon, certain tripe varietes, feet ect have pretty good nutrition stats also. though there are higher toxicity concerns with organ meat so be sure to source your animal products well.
    legumes are highly satiating, so that's another {cheaper} option. seaweed is also high protein. and leafy greens (percentage of macro breakdown that is)

I'm okay with chicken, pork, and beef. lol Not really a fan of seafood (texture thing) unless it is lobster. I've had seaweed before and it was pretty good, maybe I will give it a try again.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nonfat greek yogurt is your best friend. Well, it's my best friend... 120 cals for 22 grams of protein. For breakfast with my milk from my coffee, that's 30+ grams of protein.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for me Peanut butter just isn't worth it...

I asked about a good ratio and was told 1g of protien per 10 cal is great so I look now...

Eggs, egg whites, chicken, pork loin, greek yogurt (esp Yoplait ff), Light cheese, crab, shrimp, salmon, turkey, cottage cheese (I like non fat), skim milk (preference), bacon...real bacon, lean beef...

These are my favorite things for my protien and I eat 120g a day with 1600 calories and have been hitting it consistently (weekends are not that great)

My diary is open if you wish to take a peek...even when I have fruit loops and toast for breakfast I can hit my protien goals.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was searching for how to get more protein in your diet, while staying at your calorie range, and still have room for a little junk food. I know from experience that if I go without something I'm craving for a certain amount of time, I will eventually cave in and do an all out binge.
    Basically, OP asked this same question. I've read some of the replies, but was wondering about the protein powders. Do any of you take them, and is it drinkable in water, or does it make you want to vomit?

My calorie range is 1500 and my protein need is 100grams.

I eat eggs, meat, and veggies, but I don't want my entire days worth of calories to consist of this.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The best source of protein is just any kind of lean meat. Turkey and chicken breast are practically just pure protein. Cottage cheese is also a great low calorie source.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    The best source of protein is just any kind of lean meat. Turkey and chicken breast are practically just pure protein. Cottage cheese is also a great low calorie source.

Thanks!
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    I was searching for how to get more protein in your diet, while staying at your calorie range, and still have room for a little junk food. I know from experience that if I go without something I'm craving for a certain amount of time, I will eventually cave in and do an all out binge.
    Basically, OP asked this same question. I've read some of the replies, but was wondering about the protein powders. Do any of you take them, and is it drinkable in water, or does it make you want to vomit?

I eat eggs, meat, and veggies, but I don't want my entire days worth of calories to consist of this.

That is exactly my problem. I don't want to just eat chicken, peanut butter all day! lol

I tried protein powder in milk ... I couldn't do it. The taste wasn't terrible, but the consistency was too much for me to bare. I did look up some recipes for breakfast foods to incorporate the powder into. I am going to try to make some protein bars, protein waffles, this week to see if this helps ...

Good luck!
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    Shrimp is my go to......it is high in protein & sodium but very low in cals and no fat. I ate the whole 12oz bag of shrimp the other night and it was only 105 cals and 27 protein...sodium was 1080 and fat was zero point zero. was a 12 oz bag of frozen raw peeled shrimp.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Shrimp is my go to......it is high in protein & sodium but very low in cals and no fat. I ate the whole 12oz bag oz of shrimp the other night and it was only 105 cals and 27 protein...sodium was 1080 and fat was zero point zero. was a 12 oz bag of frozen raw peeled shrimp.

Ahhh! I try every year to like shrimp and unless it is deep fried and in cocktail sauce I cannot stomach it.

Wish I could :(
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and it is especially difficult for me.
    Realistically, I can only aim for about 80g, which isn't too bad.

Protein powder isn't as bad as you might think it is. It's terrible on it's own, but that's why you have to mix it into a smoothie, not just milk. I like to use chocolate and add a frozen banana, some coconut oil, kale, and chia seeds.

Shakes are where I get almost all my protein from o:
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

thanks! I thought I may be the only one with this problem! LOL!
    I think I'm going to buy some cottage cheese. I read that it has a lot of protein, like 28 grams in one cup. Maybe I can mix some up with shredded chicken and salsa on a whole wheat tortilla maybe. I guess there is little tips and tricks to eat what you like and include macros!

That is exactly my problem. I don't want to just eat chicken, peanut butter all day! lol

I tried protein powder in milk ... I couldn't do it. The taste wasn't terrible, but the consistency was too much for me to bare. I did look up some recipes for breakfast foods to incorporate the powder into. I am going to try to make some protein bars, protein waffles, this week to see if this helps ...

Good luck!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    I must've done something wrong. My reply to your reply got posted in the middle of your reply! Weird!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat quorn.. I am sure someone will tell me it's not good but it cooks from frozen and that's good enough for me!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    Shrimp is my go to......it is high in protein & sodium but very low in cals and no fat. I ate the whole 12oz bag of shrimp the other night and it was only 105 cals and 27 protein...sodium was 1080 and fat was zero point zero. was a 12 oz bag of frozen raw peeled shrimp.

really? I didn't know that. I love shrimp and I have a new George Foreman grill. Suggestions like these is why I love MFP. Thanks.