12 hour shift nursing

lindakp83
lindakp83 Posts: 45
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone work 12 hours as a nurse or something like it? I just wonder if anyone counts that extra long shift as exercise. I spend most of the shift standi/g walking pushing people lifting people. When I am off though I dont do nearly that much. I am starving with the calories at work but totally fine when I work only 8 or none.

Replies

• I am a nurse and walk most of my shift. I have worn a pedomiter many times just to get an idea. I walk usually between 6-8 miles in a 12 hr shift. You should wear one and see what you do. I was shocked.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Most people would say that you cover this when you fill out your lifestyle activity level, there's a selection for people with more strenuous jobs such as yours. I don't have that type of job, so I have no experience myself other than the 12 hour shifts, but mine are much less physically demanding than yours.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    I'm a nurse and even when I have to work a 16 hour shift I don't count it.....I thinks its better be safe than sorry and there is no clear way to track it.

=)
This discussion has been closed.