Healthier yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We only "let" regular fat (*not non-fat), unsweetened Greek yogurt into the house. :) My daughter eats it with a little honey.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was eating the Dannon Oikos Greek but then realized it was also VERY high in sugar (26g I think...) I got plain yogurt and added honey and frozen fruit to it....I don't like it. My boyfriend finished that off for me. I recently got Chobani 100cal cups with only 6g of sugar. I do the greek thing for the extra protein. For regular I LOVE the Yoplait whips....strawberry cheesecake.... But I'm not sure on the sugar content for those. Probably high.

Your best bet, what I did, Look through the yogurt isle and read the labels. I looked until I found something I thought I might like with an amount of sugar that I deemed OK. Buy 1 or 2 of a couple different brands and see what you like. As I'm dsicovering new foods to replace the stuff I just plain shouldn't eat it's been interesting, some things are good and some are gross.

Additional: After eating a high sugar diet for a long time (and by high, I mean what most people eat and don't even know) low sugar foods will not taste as good. But, after a bit they'll get better. My sugar free oatmeal, tea, etc took a little adjusting. I know it's a lot better for me though and I'm working on changing my sugar content.
  • CupcakeGangsta
    CupcakeGangsta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat coconut milk yogurt. SoDelicious is my favorite brand and they contain all the same active cultures as dairy yogurts. The saturated fat is a bit higher but it's the good saturated fat your body needs. I love the vanilla, raspberry, blueberry, and strawberry flavors. They also have a thicker 'Greek' style one that tastes great too!
  • kozclash
    kozclash Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plain Chobani non-fat with a little stevia and some fresh berries works for me.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I also make my own. :)

1/4 cup starter yogurt per 1/2 gallon of milk (I use whole).

Measure out yogurt starter (I started with Dannon plain) and set it on the counter. Heat milk to 180 degrees (I use a low heat and stir every few minutes). While milk is heating, put glass jars (I used wide mouth canning jars) in oven @ 200 degrees. Heating the jars will sterilize them. Once milk is heated, turn the stove off but leave the pot on the burner. Put about a cup into the yogurt and mix until smooth. Pour yogurt milk mixture back into the pot and allow the milk to cool to 110 degrees, turn the oven off. Once milk is cooled to 110, pour into jars. Wrap jars in a towel, and place back into the oven, leaving the oven light on. Allow to sit at least over night, but anywhere from 12-24 hours is fine. Pull the jars out, put lids on, and place in the fridge. I always get really thick yogurt with this method, and you can always add sweeteners/fruit/whatever when you go to eat it. Will keep for a few weeks in the fridge, and yogurt can also be frozen. Just be sure that if you're going to freeze it, that you leave enough space in the jars to account for expansion.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Chobani plain non fat Greek yogurt. I'll add my own fruit, home made granola, jam etc. to it. So good.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Measure out yogurt starter (I started with Dannon plain) and set it on the counter. Heat milk to 180 degrees (I use a low heat and stir every few minutes). While milk is heating, put glass jars (I used wide mouth canning jars) in oven @ 200 degrees. Heating the jars will sterilize them. Once milk is heated, turn the stove off but leave the pot on the burner. Put about a cup into the yogurt and mix until smooth. Pour yogurt milk mixture back into the pot and allow the milk to cool to 110 degrees, turn the oven off. Once milk is cooled to 110, pour into jars. Wrap jars in a towel, and place back into the oven, leaving the oven light on. Allow to sit at least over night, but anywhere from 12-24 hours is fine. Pull the jars out, put lids on, and place in the fridge. I always get really thick yogurt with this method, and you can always add sweeteners/fruit/whatever when you go to eat it. Will keep for a few weeks in the fridge, and yogurt can also be frozen. Just be sure that if you're going to freeze it, that you leave enough space in the jars to account for expansion.

Taking this!

My SIL gave me a recipe to make yogurt which I unfortunately lost.

ETA: How much yogurt does it make?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    High fat greek. Would never consider anything else.

Agreed. My personal preference is for Fage. If the normal-fat one is out of stock (deliciously creamy and thick, and incredibly filling - no sugars added or anything like that), I'll take the 2% or fat-free over any of the other brands, which tend to be thinner and taste watery and a bit sour (to me). Absolutely plain, or with passionfruit, or berries, or a sprinkling of nuts & seeds on top, or a little honey and some nutmeg or cinnamon - lots of options and very adaptable for cooking etc.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Siggi's!!! It's got less sugar and more protein per ounce than pretty much any yogurt I've seen. It's very thick, and not especially sweet, so it may be an acquired taste, but I do love it. A bit hard to find, and expensive too, but worth it for me based on the macro breakdown. I am ALWAYS satisfied after having it, especially if i mix in some sunflower seeds, chopped nuts, or granola.
    http://siggisdairy.com/v2/products/
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Taking this!

Depends on how much you make. :P When I made this with a 1/2 gallon I got two large mason jars + one smaller jars worth. :laugh: I'm not actually sure how much that comes to.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Taking this!

Depends on how much you make. :P When I made this with a 1/2 gallon I got two large mason jars + one smaller jars worth. :lol: I'm not actually sure how much that comes to.

Cool.

Thanks!! :)
  • ldelahanty1974
    ldelahanty1974 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit carb control diabetic friendly 3 carbs and 45 calories.