New and in need of friends/support!!

Options
Hi, my name is Megan and I'm a senior in college. I started college at about 180lbs and I have since gained 70lbs- muchhh more than just the freshman 15. Ive been on and off of diets and exercise and I really just feel that i need a support system to really encourage me and a place where I can encourage others too! I just don't have anyone else around me struggling with this as much as I am and that makes things difficult in terms of motivation. So if anyone wants to add me, feel free! I'm really looking to commit to this and I would love to be able to talk about this and learn more from other people's experiences!

Replies

• feedthebohemian
    Options
    I'm on the same boat as you. I started school around 150, got down to 127 first semester, and worked my way back up to 160 this past summer. I'll be entering my senior year this fall. It can be so stressful worrying and school, diet, working out, and work. But with a thick skin and discipline, it will happen!
  • katiebarbuscak
    Options
    Hey girls! I hear ya! When I started college I was a fit dancer that weighed only about 120 lbs. Well after quitting dance to focus on school the weight began to pour itself on. After 4 years of college I found myself above 200lbs. Its quite a shock when you get to that point. I tried diet after diet and blamed everything but my own eating/exercise habits. BUT I've found my motivation and within the past couple months I've lost 15 lbs and I am back down in the 100s. Now I'm not to my goal weight yet but I'm certainly trying. Of course It is always great to have some outside motivation. So if ya ever want an extra push or need some encouraging words, feel free to add me and start up a conversation!

Always remember, you've taken the first step and because of that you rock!
  • theos_human
    theos_human Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a Meagan too! Looks like we're pretty much in the same boat! I'm in my first year of grad school, and gained way more than the freshman 15! I lost a bit when I moved off campus, but stress eating and lack of exercise took its toll throughout the rest of my undergrad.. I'm back on MFP and ready to kick some butt, looking to lose around 100 (maybe 103) lbs total too!

Anyone can feel free to add me for some motivation, honesty and positivity in this process- we can do it!

:)
  • meg099
    meg099 Posts: 14
    Options
    Ah you guys are already so great!! I can feel the support and my motivation coming back to me! I'm really starting this week with getting back on track and so I'm trying to make a gym schedule and looking at clearing out junk food from my fridge (which is difficult to do when you have to buy groceries on a college budget!).
  • DinoZombie
    DinoZombie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not a freshmen but I'm fresh out of high school, at 180lbs XD I love to support and give feed back so feel free to add me as well!
  • theos_human
    theos_human Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ah you guys are already so great!! I can feel the support and my motivation coming back to me! I'm really starting this week with getting back on track and so I'm trying to make a gym schedule and looking at clearing out junk food from my fridge (which is difficult to do when you have to buy groceries on a college budget!).

I feel your pain! I found that once it was all gone I was less likely to fall back on it. And the groceries on a budget is tough, but I would rather spend a few extra dollars now than the thousands of dollars in insurance and tax dollars it would cost to fix me later if I don't get healthy! A couple tips: I buy a lot of frozen veggies when they're on sale! They don't go bad so you don't have to worry about using them on time. I also eat a lot more canned beans- I find the sodium content is greatly reduced if I rinse them a few times, and they're a great source of protein and much cheaper than meat! If you have the time, cooking them from dry is the cheapest way to go (but I can never seem to think that far in advance :P ) I also started eating more rice instead of pasta (sometimes the wheat is bothersome to my digestion), but investing in one of the huge 20lb rice bags is worth it, it takes me an entire semester (or more) to finish it!
  • lizcraft
    lizcraft Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...I am Liz. I am huge on support and I love to help people meet their goals...even break through their goal and go farther than they thought that they could. Please add me for support if you would like to.