Learning how to run!

Options
So I've never been a runner at any point of my life- i absolutely hated it because I didn't have the stamina for it. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or a regimen to help me get on track to run. My only problem is that I can't really run for very long and I would like to get to a point that I would be able to run at least a mile without stopping. Another problem I face is that I'm on a college campus and it seems to be that everyone around me using the treadmills is a runner! How do I build up strength so that I don't make a fool of myself on the treadmill when I only run for about five minutes??? Help?

Replies

• josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5k program, it really helps a lot of people. I personally always hated running in school, because I was so slow. After just walking around and getting my step count up, I realized one day that I could literally jog and jog for miles without stopping because I became so fit and in shape. I begin to start running 5ks every day and 10ks every other day, and I freaking love running now. I pick out spots just to enjoy a jog now outside. Running is very fun to me now and now I get free time I always enjoy going out for a jog.

Another thing is to make sure you have the right equipment. You need comfortable running shoes, and socks that won't blister your feet. Also, try running on grass or pavement to find what you like. A lot of people get started on a treadmill because its more comfortable, I use the treadmill when its too cold outside.

Also to comment about how you feel about your speed/endurance. No one cares how fast you are or how far you can run. Just run the speed you are comfortable with, trust me, I pay no attention to people that are faster to me. When I go out and run in races/runs, I never sweat that people are going to pass me up. I try to beat my personal goals and times, not what everyone else is doing.
  • cdwwench
    cdwwench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Josstuff had some great tips. I began on the elliptical at the slowest speed. Went for 5 minutes and coughed for the next 10. Do what you can. To build speed, work on intervals. I have had some friends rave about C25K apps for their training. I'm slowly getting there. Last summer walking 5K was hard. This year, I want to run.

Again, pace yourself. Don't worry too much about others. You have to start somewhere. Good luck.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    C25K - that's all I need to say.
    If you can walk you can start this, it combines walking with a teeny bit of slow jogging, emphasises going slow and builds up longer periods of jogging mixed with walking. You move on when you're ready to. Give it a try. You'll be a runner soon, don't rush it
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Put your mind to it and you will be able to run a mile almost straight away. By questioning this you seem like you still have negative thoughts about running. Change this and you will be fine :-)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Once you get to say 30mins non stop no matter how slow get in touch with a local running club (if there is one), I know that with my club they have a 'welcome to running' group and this accommodates those that don't or only recently started running, it's usually structured by stop start, regroup so no body gets left behind.

As others have mentioned take it slow, don't push yourself too soon.
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    In freshman year of high school, I joined cross country with out any experience running. I thought, how hard can it be? Boy was I in for a rude awakening! I had such a bad asthma attack that I couldn't finish the first day of practice. But I was determined, and stuck with it. I couldn't run longer than a block with out having to stop and walk. So that's what I did the second day. I ran one block, walked one block, ran one block etc. I just would run until I had to stop, take a short rest, and run again. By the end of the season I cut my time down from a 20 minute mile, to a 13 minute mile, and I was able to run 3 miles non stop. Just do what you can, while giving yourself a healthy push!