Eggs...how many?

Options
castadiva
castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
I'm aware that the previous status-quo about eggs and cholesterol has been disproven (or at least altered), but I wondered if anyone can tell me whether there is a new guideline about the number of eggs one can safely consume in a day/week?

I'm aiming for a low-carb, high-protein diet at present, for medical reasons, and eggs seem like a good alternative to meat to get protein without elevating my fats too much... However, I assume there is some sort of limit to how many I should be eating. Two a day? 10 a week? Any ideas?

N.B. Whole eggs, that is. I only really enjoy the yolks, and substituting egg whites is not an option I'm interested in exploring.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    Advice is all over the map, do what you want, I'd say. For example I live in Canada and there is no RDA for cholesterol and many other Countries also have those guidelines. And for whatever reason your going low carb, it does mean that fat will be your primary energy source so don't restrict yourself with that macro. If your not getting fat then the body is going to try and convert protein to glucose, which is a tough process for the body and can compromise your lean body mass, so don't do that.
  • castadiva
    Options
    Thank you - that's basically the conclusion I was coming to after some Google research, but I wondered if anyone knew more. I'm not depriving myself of fat by any means - it's usually at least 50-60% of my daily intake - just want to keep it relatively reasonable, whilst still getting my protein!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Do what you want.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Thank you - that's basically the conclusion I was coming to after some Google research, but I wondered if anyone knew more. I'm not depriving myself of fat by any means - it's usually at least 50-60% of my daily intake - just want to keep it relatively reasonable, whilst still getting my protein!
    Gotcha. What do you mean by, if anyone knew more? Was there something you have concerns with?
  • castadiva
    Options
    Gotcha. What do you mean by, if anyone knew more? Was there something you have concerns with?

I meant if there was any recent scientific material out there suggesting that eggs should be limited, and if so, why? No major concerns, apart from potential for digestive issues, just don't want to overdo it, if there's a good reason not to!
  • neanderthin
    Options

I meant if there was any recent scientific material out there suggesting that eggs should be limited, and if so, why? No major concerns, apart from potential for digestive issues, just don't want to overdo it, if there's a good reason not to!
    Well, any institutions that originally dissed egg consumption completely or suggested 1 or 2 a week like Harvard et al are now saying 1 egg a day is fine. But you have to realize that this is still within the current guidelines of 300mg's or less of dietary cholesterol and I would imagine those recommendation won't change regardless of the science that says otherwise. These changes came when the irrefutable evidence became mainstream that dietary cholesterol has little effect on our blood (serum) cholesterol levels.

More recent studies have shown that the saturated fat in eggs, which also worked in tandem with earlier recommendation for it's reduction is what actually effects how the liver may decide to administer (deliver) cholesterol to the body has again reached more of a mainstream transparency and it's reaction or effect on LDL cholesterol. Common knowledge has didctated that anything that increases LDL cholesterol is bad but this doesn't take into account that LDL lipoproteins are divided in many sub particles with some more atherogeic than others. Data suggests that very small LDL are what actually have problems exiting artery walls causing systematic inflammation by promoting macrophages and white blood cells to increase........basically small dense LDL gets caught up between the cell structure and start to oxidize. Larger LDL have a propensity against this and research bears this out. Anyway, the saturated fat in eggs promotes the larger LDL particles and makes them bigger. Unfortunately this type of research is not exactly looked upon as it goes against RDA recommendations at this time. This type of research is mostly the reason today that saturated fat has not been the enemy it has it the past, and this is just one explanation......... Personally eggs within reason and if it meets your daily macro requirements would for me would not be a reason I would subject myself to 1 egg a day.......

Personally I probably consume more than 18 eggs a week and my cholesterol, LDL, HDL are stellar.....keep in mind there are genetic reason why people should not consume as much cholesterol since these people could be reprerred to as hyper responders to dietary cholesterol, even then the science isn't exactly sure if it's the saturated fat or the cholesterol that effects these people. Sorry for the long explanation, just thought it might help understand the process a little better.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them.

All.
    Of.
    Them.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them.

All.
    Of.
    Them.

:grumble: You beat me to it.....
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Remember though. Yolks contain fat, but good fat at that, that makes a single egg around 70 or so calories. So take that into effect for your "fat" macro-nutrient.

Egg whites on the other hand are a lot lower in fat and calories.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat eggs any longer (*tear*), but when I did, I preferred Dos Yolkies.

lol.

Seriously though, when I did eat them, I followed a recommended 2 full eaggs/day, and substituted the rest with whites. Yolks are very, very good for you, but yes, they do contain a lot of cholesterol. I don't understand people who avoid the yolk alltogether. There are very few foods that pack as much nutrition than an egg yolk.

Not to mention: deviled eggs. Yum.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs probably 5-6 days a week. Love 'em! They are my go to food!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Remember though. Yolks contain fat, but good fat at that, that makes a single egg around 70 or so calories. So take that into effect for your "fat" macro-nutrient.

Egg whites are sadness.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that the previous status-quo about eggs and cholesterol has been disproven (or at least altered), but I wondered if anyone can tell me whether there is a new guideline about the number of eggs one can safely consume in a day/week?

I'm aiming for a low-carb, high-protein diet at present, for medical reasons, and eggs seem like a good alternative to meat to get protein without elevating my fats too much... However, I assume there is some sort of limit to how many I should be eating. Two a day? 10 a week? Any ideas?

N.B. Whole eggs, that is. I only really enjoy the yolks, and substituting egg whites is not an option I'm interested in exploring.

NHS Guidelines say that as there is no link between eggs and blood cholesterol there is no limit to how many you can eat per week.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Egg whites are sadness.

I ate 10 egg whites this morning with a wrap and sriracha sauce. I feel happy, my but my stomach will feel sad later (I have a love/hate relationship with sriracha)
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Egg whites are sadness.

I ate 10 egg whites this morning with a wrap and sriracha sauce. I feel happy, my but my stomach will feel sad later (I have a love/hate relationship with sriracha)

Whatd you do with all the yolks??

I made these delicious cranberry orange breakfast bins a few weeks ago. The dough required a whole egg and 4 yolks.
    I had to eat an egg white omelet and I was very sad.
    The yolk is the delicious part
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Egg whites are sadness.

I made these delicious cranberry orange breakfast bins a few weeks ago. The dough required a whole egg and 4 yolks.

Threw em away, lol. I don't like egg yolk. For me, it leaves a nasty chalky taste that takes hours to go away.

I make sure to get my fat from olive oil / peanut butter though throughout the day, instead of egg yolk.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Do what you want.

I have heard & read so many different "opinions" on eggs that I agree with the above. Eat as many as you want! I have vegan friends who do not eat at all and I have weight training friends who eat in excess of 6 per day. If you are balancing your macro's you should be fine.

Personally, I am eating 2 - 3 per week. My other sources of protein come from hemp, nuts, beans, long grain brow/wild rice, oatmeal, spinach. kale, yogurt, cheese, etc
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Prior to getting pregnant, I was low carb and I was eating 1-2 eggs almost every day. I know many people who eat 10+ eggs per week for years and show no bad side effects from it.

The main restriction for low carb is getting too much protein. Eat the whole egg and use butter or olive oil to add fat during the cooking process. Also, fat will be your fuel source so even going higher is fine. Closer to 60% is better than 50%. My macros were set to closer to 65-70% fat with my protein being at 1 g per lb of lbm. Over time, not getting enough fat can make you feel tired, sick and overall icky.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Eat as many as you want.

Egg whites are sadness.

Threw em away, lol. I don't like egg yolk. For me, it leaves a nasty chalky taste that takes hours to go away.

I make sure to get my fat from olive oil / peanut butter though throughout the day, instead of egg yolk.

Blashpemy!!!

At least get the cartons of the whites
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options

I'm in agreement. I don't like the taste of egg yolks, either. It's not chalky for me, but.... eh, I just don't prefer them.

I do save them, though, to use in recipes. You can make homemade mayo with them - delish.