Gym Etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, there's no reason you need to utilize the squat rack for 20 minutes. Do your squats and move on. I have no idea why you need to use the squat rack for bench pressing, but if you really do and someone is waiting, let them get their reps in before you start with your bench press and then come back when he's done.

Bottom line is you can use different equipment for bench pressing, but he can't use anything else for squats. I'd be pretty cranky too is squats was all I had left to do and someone was using the rack for 20 minutes and was now using it for bench presses.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I believe she said he wanted the Oly bar to do OHPs.

If it's more about the bar and less about the rack, I'd suggest going there at a different time. Ideally a gym should have a bar for every piece of equipment and a few spares for people doing deadlifts, BB rows, etc. out on the floor.

If your gym doesn't have this (don't go picking up bars from equipment and moving them around, but spare bars can be taken anywhere provided you put them back) then try to change the time you go or query the management about the lack of bars.

If it's about the rack and you're in a bind, you'll have to improvise. Personally, I hang clean the bar before doing OHPs, so I don't do it inside the rack unless I'm going heavy [for me]. Lots of gyms have benches with pegs high enough you can use them to unrack the bar for standing presses, or high enough you can hang clean from. Maybe politely suggest that he try cleaning the bar so he can get his workout in?

Most people can't press more than they can clean.