Hey Vegans!

Options
What is your favorite source of protein?

I've laid off the soy and started eating more nuts, but I'd like to learn about other types of protein!

Replies

• lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I am not vegan, but I am vegetarian. I love all kinds of lentils and nut butters. I also find that some grains like brown rice and quinoa add a little protein as well. I did try some vegan recipes, just to add some variety, and i've found that adding some ground flax seed to recipes in place of eggs is yummy! When I was trying to stick to a vegan food style, I ultimately found it too restrictive to be practical for me, but I did discover that i had an intolerance for dairy. I feel better when I minimize my dairy intake, so I make my own soymilk and tofu. I found a soy based mozzerella-type cheese that I like (Haven't found a good cheddar substitute), and I switched to soy yogurt.
    Good luck!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you made the choice to go vegan! Almost everything has some protein in it - but some really good non-soy sources are beans of course, and quinoa. Hemp is good as well, and there's always nuts and seeds, as you mentioned. Don't stress too much on the protein issue- Americans eat way too much anyway. You might also check out these sites for more info and recipe ideas:

www.vrg.org

www.goveg.com

www.exploreveg.org

www.vegan.org

www.vegweb.com

www.fatfreevegan.com

Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey!

Namaste-
    Alyssa
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options

I've laid off the soy and started eating more nuts, but I'd like to learn about other types of protein!

Well I eat a good amount of soy. You could add Lentils, Spinach,Broccoli , Black-eyes peas, Any Seeds , Peanut butter.
    I just bought sunbutter yesterday but I have not tried it yet. Looks like peanut butter but is made with out nuts. Instead they use Sunflower seeds.
    So many things have protein. I hate when people hear I do not eat Meat, and they say Oh My , How are you getting protein? lol Then they find out I don't drink milk too.
    I have been vegetarian flirting with vegan for one year. I think that is also the main reason I have lost 60 pounds. As soon as I cut out the meat The pounds starting dropping. I eat some cheese . Other than that .. "nothing with a face" ;)
    Also No eggs , no seafood , all that jazz.
    Any way enough about my life story haha Best of Luck ;)
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    That's awesome that you made the choice to go vegan! Almost everything has some protein in it - but some really good non-soy sources are beans of course, and quinoa. Hemp is good as well, and there's always nuts and seeds, as you mentioned. Don't stress too much on the protein issue- Americans eat way too much anyway. You might also check out these sites for more info and recipe ideas:

www.vrg.org

www.goveg.com

www.exploreveg.org

www.vegan.org

www.vegweb.com

www.fatfreevegan.com

Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey!

Namaste-
    Alyssa

I've actually been vegan for 8 years but thanks for the resources!
  • beccasetsfire
    Options

Well I eat a good amount of soy. You could add Lentils, Spinach,Broccoli , Black-eyes peas, Any Seeds , Peanut butter.
    I just bought sunbutter yesterday but I have not tried it yet. Looks like peanut butter but is made with out nuts. Instead they use Sunflower seeds.
    So many things have protein. I hate when people hear I do not eat Meat, and they say Oh My , How are you getting protein? lol Then they find out I don't drink milk too.
    I have been vegetarian flirting with vegan for one year. I think that is also the main reason I have lost 60 pounds. As soon as I cut out the meat The pounds starting dropping. I eat some cheese . Other than that .. "nothing with a face" ;)
    Also No eggs , no seafood , all that jazz.
    Any way enough about my life story haha Best of Luck ;)

Our problem is we love our meat substitutes and they're very loaded with carbs! But I started eating mostly veggies and the weight just started to go!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing right now...the scale is finally MOVING. :drinker:
  • madcatwechanged
    Options
    Almost done reading "Skinny *kitten*" the male version of Skinny ***** by the same authors. I must say after reading what I have, I am switching to a vegan diet. I am in the PCRM's 21daykickstart.com but was doing it for the info. The info from that book has made all of the difference. "The China Study" here I come.

I love hemp protein by the way.lol
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love hemp protein powder and pea protein powders. Like several people have already said, though, a lot of us get adequate protein without even trying, so I don't really need to push protein. I eat plenty of beans, lentils, grains. I'm sure that since you use MFP, though, you know where you are on your daily protein intake and whether or not you need to increase it.

Getting away from meat substitutes was a big thing for me too. I was eating the vegan Bocca crumbles and the Morningstar Chick'n strips quite regularly (my boyfriend loved them too). But near the beginning of this year, I replaced all of the meat substitutes with more "whole" versions like tempeh and tofu to get away from artificial ingredients and preservatives. I think you get more nutritional bang for your meal and you can skip a lot of the added calories. Now we don't even really like the old meat substitutes. Just a matter of changing tastes, I guess.