GI Index?

slimmingsiobhan
slimmingsiobhan Posts: 54
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I know the focus of MFP is predominantly calorie-counting etc, but I wondered if anyone combined/took notice of the GI index whilst following their plan?
I've bought a little hand-held guide today on the GI index, really interesting & thinking of incorporating it into my eating changes xx

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    I've not really thought about the GI, but after looking at my diet from that perspective, I think I have just naturally reduced the GI for my diet. I gotten to where I hardly eat potatoes at all (mostly because I have difficulty calculating their caloric level - i.e a baked potato - is it large, medium, small - based on whose interpretation, etc. Too much work. I eat a lot of vegetables - raw and cooked, and when I do eat grain products they are all whole grains - so, I'm guessing that many diets that actually result in weight loss that is sustainable are going to meet the GI guidelines. Those diets that are more, "I eat what I want and hope to be within my caloric goals" are probably going to be higher GI.

Vickie
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I don't use the GI simply because it doesn't take into account the changes in GI numbers by adding fat and protein to the food. That being said, I do tell my clients to make sure they are mixing their meals, some carbs, protein, and fat at every meal, to help them keep from having a high insulin response or diabetes episode from their food intake.
This discussion has been closed.