Who is Terrified of Hanging Skin?

Options
some people have mentioned to me that maybe i'm "scared" to lose weight, so i purposely sabotage my own efforts. here are thigns that i am scared of.

1. sagging skin. 29 years of being fat has left my skin seriously damaged. it will not magically shrink back to mormal when i lose weight. i want to punch out those people who say, "oh just to more crunches, it will tone your tummy" or "oh, you just need to do tricept curls to get rid of the batwings". seriously. will not help.

2. i won't regonize myself.

3. i'll recognize myself, but still see the fat person and not the fit person.

4. i won't be happier. sure the weight is gone, but what if i realize when i am thin that i was not really depressed because i'm fat, but because of other reasons.

5. people will be waiting for me to gain all of the weight back.

no wonder i'm scared to lose weight.

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    some people have mentioned to me that maybe i'm "scared" to lose weight, so i purposely sabotage my own efforts. here are thigns that i am scared of.

1. sagging skin. 29 years of being fat has left my skin seriously damaged. it will not magically shrink back to mormal when i lose weight. i want to punch out those people who say, "oh just to more crunches, it will tone your tummy" or "oh, you just need to do tricept curls to get rid of the batwings". seriously. will not help.

2. i won't regonize myself.

3. i'll recognize myself, but still see the fat person and not the fit person.

4. i won't be happier. sure the weight is gone, but what if i realize when i am thin that i was not really depressed because i'm fat, but because of other reasons.

5. people will be waiting for me to gain all of the weight back.

no wonder i'm scared to lose weight.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Only thing that scares me more is hanging Chad's (Election Year Joke):laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of sagging skin too, especially in my arms....... I know I will have it.... but then I think, I would rather have a bit of sagging skin than diabetes!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    i understand all of those fears as i have had them myself...
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have a apron i think thats what it is caled due to having babies i think.. im afraid after i lose the weight ill just a that apron and it will even be more noticable due to be skinny.. i want to lose weight and we all need to quit thinking about what every one else is saying or thinking. It is you that needs to be thinking of you isnt that why we lose weight any wways to be healthy? call me selfish, so be it.. thats the way it has to be.
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. At least for now I feel in control of my life a little bit more though.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised about how much weight the "Biggest Loser's" lost and didnt have that problem with their skin! So many of them lost 30% to 40/50% of their body weight thru a VERY calculated/ambitious weight loss plan!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think that if the weight comes off at a consistant rate, and not too fast, that the skin will respond in time. Toning muscles is still really important, of course, and will help with the overall "look" of your body. I constantly see people who have lost 100+ pounds, and haven't had any surgery, and they look fantastic! I think the problem comes when you lose or gain a significant amount of weight in a short period of time (like when you're pregnant or have gastric bypass surgery.)

I know there are people out there who've lost 100 pounds--what's your story?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of fears about losing weight also. Sometimes, when I lose 2 lbs in a week I kind of panic after the Yahoo moment :laugh: I Yahoo - then a couple of hours later I'm in full panic mode and wanting to eat everything. I've learned to just stop and take a few minutes and say "It's o.k. Yes I know you're scared. We (the royal we) are going to do this anyway. It's o.k. to be scared, but that doesn't have to stop you from suceeding. We can do this." (Yes, I talk to myself. Sometimes even outloud!! Sometimes I even answer . . .) Then I take some time to figure out what exactly is triggering the fear and have another chat with myself - like "Well, maybe that will happen. Maybe it won't. But the end result is still better than where I am right now." Then I reiterate why I want to lose weight anyway - to be healthier - to ride fair rides with the kids - to look better - to have my self confidence back - to be able to run and play and have fun without dying :noway: And move on. It helps me anyway - maybe something like that will help you when you find your self self-sabatoging. Hang in there :flowerforyou:
    Plus I tell myself if it really is that bad then I can check out surgery :huh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've thought about the excess skin that might be left, too but like my husband told me--"worry about that when and if it happens--not now." And, we decided that if I do have that problem when I've lost my weight, then I'll get some plastic surgery to take care of it. I want to have a breast reduction anyway once I'm back to a normal weight otherwise I'm afraid I'll look like Dolly Parton!! :noway:

Not that my husband would mind that :laugh:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised about how much weight the "Biggest Loser's" lost and didnt have that problem with their skin! So many of them lost 30% to 40/50% of their body weight thru a VERY calculated/ambitious weight loss plan!

Me too! Because they lost it so fast.

I am a little worried about arm skin. Or my stomach. But I have had a baby, and will have another one so my stomach will probably be a little stretched out. I don't like bikinis anyway! :laugh:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Sagging skin is why they invented Spanx. 'Nuff said.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    I think that if the weight comes off at a consistant rate, and not too fast, that the skin will respond in time. Toning muscles is still really important, of course, and will help with the overall "look" of your body. I constantly see people who have lost 100+ pounds, and haven't had any surgery, and they look fantastic! I think the problem comes when you lose or gain a significant amount of weight in a short period of time (like when you're pregnant or have gastric bypass surgery.)

I know there are people out there who've lost 100 pounds--what's your story?

I totally agree! And make sure you tone your muscle which I think will help with the skin issue.
    For the record...my biggest fear is stretch marks thanks to my wonderful son. I hope they start to disappear or so called fade too!!!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy, if you only knew what my stomach looked like.
    NOT
    A
    PRETTY
    SITE!
    As I have described it before, it looks like pizza dough that the cats use as a scratching post in all angles.
    N A S T Y!
    can you say tummy tuck?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Amen. Losing weight is a process, and there will be issues to face. There are days I find maintenance harder than losing was.

Sagging skin won't take years off of your life, or make you out of breath doing simple tasks, or prevent you from doing this you want to do. Excess weight and poor nutrition will.

don't sabotage yourself with fear.:flowerforyou:
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    First of all, ellelit, you need to LOSE these people that feel it's their business to tell you what you need to do with your body!! :tongue: I am 150 pounds lighter than I was 14 years ago. I can tell you the most important thing you can do is to lose weight slowly~I think the "sag" factor is kinder, because you are losing true fat instead of muscle, and for the emotional reasons as well. You're able to better digest the "new you" that you're becoming. I also can't say enough about the importance of drinking water! I don't know that you ever truly get rid of the "fat brain", though, because I still catch myself from thinking I need to lose 20 pounds before an upcoming event or vacation (old habits die hard!) and I'm still surprised when I see photos of myself, because I don't see myself 100% accurately in the mirror. Hang in there and don't let the fear of the unknown deter you from your goals!
  • ms_michelle2006
    Options
    I am worried about that but I think if your wheight loss is gradual then it wont be as bad. hanging skin comes with more along the lines of surgical wheight loss. at least that what my doc says.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options

...you can add "beer belly" to that list.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hugs I think we all kind of think about that too at some point....I mean my tummy is not what it used to be after I had my son and I figure it kind of goes w/ the territory....not thrilled about it but ya know its part of life...like wrinkles and gray hair....ya know all the good stuff!

What I'd focus on is doing things the right way, slow and smart, lots of toning...our good health is what is most important...I bet you'll be surprised its not going to be what we might think.....at least I hope so for us!!! :flowerforyou:

I too think about those biggest losers....they never really look too saggy...hmmm maybe its the weight training replacing the fat w/ muscle....I'm gonna hang on to that thought myself LOL

hugs and best of luck!!!
    ali
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you need to use cocoa butter cream on your skin (everywhere) while losing weight as it helps with the elasticity.
    Saggy skin just goes with the territory. Just fill the empty skin with muscles and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid of the unknown.