Weights - Beginner!

Options
Hiya, I have been doing some weights 5 nights a week. Only small ones though at 1.5kg each. I don't know the sames of all the things I do but I am mainly working on the tri ceps and generally trying to tone the tops of my arms. I only do 5-10 minutes at a time but afterwards for an hour or so I get really really shaky and I don't know why? It's not pleasant at all and actually makes me feel a bit ill. What am I doing wrong? The weights can't possibly be too heavy for me lol x

Replies

• chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If it was just the muscles you're working that were shaking, I'd say it's probably just a sign that you're fatiguing the muscle. 1.5kg isn't enough weight to really build much strength, but using that muscle for 10 straight minutes is still going to push its endurance levels. If you're doing the same exercises 5 days a week you're probably not giving them time to recover between workouts either.

The fact that it's your whole body shaking and you feel ill at the same time suggests a different problem though. Are you sure you're getting enough food? Your diary is public, so I glanced at it and it looks like you have a goal set of 1200 calories and if you're logging accurately you aren't even hitting that goal - sometimes not even getting close. I understand the desire to lose weight, but your body does need fuel to operate and it needs more if you're exercising. I don't know you, your body or your goals, but it really sounds like you need to eat more.

tldr: Getting the shakes and feeling ill is possibly a sign of low blood sugar from not getting enough food.
  • LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You are probably right. I am finding it hard though, I used to just eat whatever I wanted, all day and through the night and make no extra effort to exercise, but since I decided to do something about it I have become slightly obsessed with food. I have 3 meals a day, a snack and loads of water and if I eat more than that I feel bad. My other half says exactly the same as you so that's 2 against 1 isn't it.

Thank you for commenting and I will take it on board xx
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Just adding my 2cents to the "you probably need to eat more" side!