im so upset with myself

Options
i struggled with anorexia all my life. I binnged badly last year and i gained a good chuck of weight which leaves me in the overweight section. whenever i dont like what the scales say or what i see in the mirror i overeat badly. i just overate and i feel so bad about myself. i have so much hatred. i feel im the worst person ever. any tips so maybe this situation wont repeat itself

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i struggled with anorexia all my life. I binnged badly last year and i gained a good chuck of weight which leaves me in the overweight section. whenever i dont like what the scales say or what i see in the mirror i overeat badly. i just overate and i feel so bad about myself. i have so much hatred. i feel im the worst person ever. any tips so maybe this situation wont repeat itself

First, find a good support base. If there's here on MFP, or friends you have that can support you, please connect. You're welcome to add me if you'd like.

I am a large girl (241 at last weigh in, and 50% body fat via Army standards). I found that tracking on MFP helps me see just where I'm at. I had a rough week, a couple days I was way under, and yesterday I was over by about 600. But, seeing the average of my intake allows me to gauge where I'm really at, and that helps quite a bit. Don't hate yourself for eating. You are not the worst person ever. The first step is to accept where you are at, and set reasonable goals. If you don't meet them, don't hate yourself, just take it as a learning curve and keep moving forward. If find that I tend to binge after I've gone under for a day or two in a row (what happened this week), so by attempting to maintain a steady calorie intake, while still making room to eat the foods I'm in love with, really helps keep me on track. Try, instead of thinking "I hate myself" when you look in the mirror, to focus on your goal for what you want to see change. "I don't like my (insert part you're unhappy with the most), and I'm going to make it go away!" Body love has been the biggest help to me. It made me happy with who and what I was before I was ready to lose weight, and gives me a positive view on the things I want to change. It's not a switch that will flip over night, but an entire mentality switch, and it took me a long time to get there. I used to hate my body, once I started loving myself, it became easier for me to handle what was wrong with me, and makes it easier for me to be willing to change, because I will still love my body no matter what happens.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Please seek professional help. Forums are well meaning but not the best place to go to when asking for legitimate advice. You will best be served by taking your problems to professional medical and psychological venues. I have so much sympathy for you and your disorder, but you need to speak to someone who is a professional and not just rely on MFP.

Many people overcome what you are going through, you can do this, but please speak with a professional and not rely solely on information here.
  • monikagiesbrecht
    monikagiesbrecht Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dont hate yourself because that will make things worse. Try not to stress about over eating. Just work on cutting it down.

When a person Eats a lot, it actually makes their stomach (like the organ) bigger and bigger and it continues to stretch. Then when you cut down on serving sizes and portions, it will start shrinking (slowly) and get smaller and you wont even be able to eat that much any more. (in theory).

so just start cutting down a bit at a time and dont hate yourself for not doing it in one shot. If you are hating yourself, you will be stressed about it, and if you are stressed you eat more, then if you eat more you will start hating yourself again and its just all a viscous cycle you gotta get yourself out of.

I'm not a Doctor though, I simply stated what I have read and figured for myself, dont take my advice as anything that will for SURE work, but its just a thought!

Good luck! :D
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Solution - Throw them scales out the window...........!!!

If you don't weigh yourself, you wont know, then you wont be angry and binge!!!

Concentrate on trying to pick healthy options for now, and getting in some exercise - Drink lots of water too - You will feel a lot better!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Counseling. At least call around and check out whether you may be eligible for counseling through insurance or income-based programs in your area. You owe it to yourself and it can only help!