Vibram vs Fila Skele-toes

Options
I loved my Fila skele-toes because they fit right, were affordable and I had by far the best leg and plyometric workouts ever with them. However, I am finding they don't sell them anymore or have DC'd them. Does anyone know how the sizes compare with the vibram toe shoes? I wore a 7.5 in Fila and was curious as to what size it is comparable to with the Vibrams.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I loved my Fila skele-toes because they fit right, were affordable and I had by far the best leg and plyometric workouts ever with them. However, I am finding they don't sell them anymore or have DC'd them. Does anyone know how the sizes compare with the vibram toe shoes? I wore a 7.5 in Fila and was curious as to what size it is comparable to with the Vibrams.

You really need to go to the store and get fitted for Vibrams. Each shoe varies a bit, and a perfect fit is essential.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Vibram does their sizing by measurements, so grab a tape measurer and get at it. I recommend going to a store to try them on. You can always find your size in store than use it to order online.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Your best bet with Vibram is to find a local seller, size yourself there, and then purchase online if you want to save some extra cash. Vibram used to allow you to measure your foot, and they would tell you your size, however they've switched to the "give us your current shoe size" method and I've found it to be less than reliable since American shoe sizes vary so much. I LOVE my Vibram's, though.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    So funny, one of my friends was just asking about this on our running group yesterday. He went with the Vibrams.

I personally hate those, because even though I wear flip flops the minute the snow is gone, I hate having things between my other toes.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My cheap running shoes that I bought at wal-mart are pretty much destroyed at this point.
    Is Vibram the best brand to purchase? Are there others more suited to heavier men?

Any assistance would be great!
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My cheap running shoes that I bought at wal-mart are pretty much destroyed at this point.
    Is Vibram the best brand to purchase? Are there others more suited to heavier men?

Any assistance would be great!

I, personally, believe they are. I've compared sole quality with others, and Vibram has always seemed better (in my unprofessional opinion :laugh: ). I've taken mine through hot coals, broken glass, thorn covered trails, and who knows what else and they've always held up well. Now, they will probably melt in a fire, but the free flying embers from a camp fire or when I catch the ground of fire with my fire spinning? No issues. Vibram is the same company that makes the soles for soldiers boots, and I've found the quality of their Five Fingers to be as good as my husband's boots, although they are obviously not as thick.

I'm a heavy girl and mine have always preformed well. Go to a local retailer and find out what ones will work best for what you're doing, because the different styles really do make a difference for some activities.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I went to the store last night for sizing for my Vibrams, but realized the prices are out of the roof in most retail stores. I bought mine online through Vibram for almost $60 less for the same exact shoes. BTW they felt great and fit like a glove when I tried them on :)