Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A lot of poor people are fat but every class of people are. Ever notice how they put fast food chains near low income housing? 99 cent cheese burgers are pretty enticing. Also with food stamps I see some people loading up their carts with all kinds of junk. Nutrition needs to be taught in school for every grade like math and english. The problem is so many people are misinformed or ignorant to what these foods are doing to them. Some just don't care but I think if they really knew the whole story they would.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make less than $20, 000 a year. Grew up in a trailer where often times we didn't have running water or electricity because of inability to pay bills. I've even been homeless for short periods of time. The only reason I share this with you is that you know that I know what it's like to be in at the lower end of the income spectrum here in the states. Right now I feel pretty well off making that much annually.

The point is, I can still make smart food choices. One thing that me and my family growing up noticed is that eating out costs WAY more than cooking ourselves. When I first started trying to eat healthy I had to pay more becuase I didn't have basics like olive oil or spices and what not. Now I don't have to spend too much. I can get all my produce for the week for about $20 bucks and then buy chicken/beef for an additional $15 bucks. I'd say that's pretty affordable. Now it does take a bit of extra time to actually cook it but it's worth it in the end. I actually ended up saving quite a bit of money just from cooking at home rather than going and grabbing junk at the store and "cheap" fast food.

That's just my own experience. Maybe I am lucky that I live in an area where I have access to produce but I do have to take about a 5 hour round trip bus ride for 20-30 minutes of shopping. Just saying. We can always find excuses for something... or we can just suck it up and do what we have to do. When I make poor choices in food it's because I am making poor choices, not because there are not better options.

(I should also mention that I do all this cooking and everything while also working two full times jobs.)

I love what you said. I think a lot of the problem with the obesity epidemic is convenient food. It takes less time and planning to make hotdogs and boxed mac 'n cheese for dinner than to make something healthier.
    There are many times that I don't feel like making dinner, but ordering a pizza or eating fast food when I fail to plan isn't good for my family.
    We do regularly order pizza and have a carpet picnic and our kids think that is great, but it is because we plan to do it not because we are too busy to do a healthier option.
    I'll just add that there have been times in my life - even while fully employed and technically unable to qualify for government assistance programs - the $35 listed as used for making good food choices for the week was in the ballpark of what I had to buy food for the month, not counting transportation or cooking expenses. I was not a gambler nor a drug user, either, so I wasn't 'squandering' my paycheck.. . . just something to consider.

Point taken. One set of my grandparents (and parent) lived in similar monetary circumstances and often went hungry, so I hear you.

The thing is, when you have that little money, you can't buy enough at even a fast food place to make you overweight, let alone obese. And if you started that way, you're going to be losing weight. So, the 'very' poor aren't really part of this discussion because by definition, they can't be overweight/obese.

To be fat, you must be able to buy or barter for enough calories to get you there and keep you there.
    Counterpoint: when you have that little money and get anything that resembles a surplus, your body is seriously craving calories more than it is worrying about nutrition. You're at that point, monetarily, and find a dollar on the ground: Do you buy a dollar's worth of bananas, or a dollar's worth of ramen noodles?

If you are actually starving you, you take the ramen! But then you wouldn't be fat and this post is about if the poor are fat, not malnourished. Besides, haven't you heard? Americans aren't "hungry," they are "food insecure." I wonder why they changed the term. I'd be interested to know.
    Let me connect the dots. A person who experiences the level of money shortage/food shortage I described learns to prioritize calories/dollar (peso, looney, pound, whatever) over almost all other food considerations. This learned behavior becomes almost habitual.

Food shopping is largely habitual, as well; stores have done studies tracking eye movements of shoppers, and most shoppers don't focus their eyes on the shelves until nearing the items they're intending to buy.

Combine these factors, and folks who are used to not knowing how far their next paycheck is going to get them will habitually reach for the highest calorie/dollar items they can reasonably afford. . . even when their financial situation improves. They have to learn new habits to change this cycle.

Are you saying people get the most calories for the dollar? I tried to do this with healthy foods when we were poorer. I got a lot of potatoes, squash, beans, rice, oatmeal, and bananas because they are the cheapest and most filling foods I know of.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

Not because food is expensive (although it is)

But because it's not readily available in the same way as McDonalds. Come to 125th street in Harlem and I'll point out 5 fast food places in one square block and not one grocery store. within 10 blocks either direction

How can they afford that? I keep hearing this, but I don't understand how they can even buy McD's every day. I am a bit above the federal poverty line, and I sure can't pay for all that. Bread, ground beef, and a squeeze bottle of Heinz is much cheaper. Ten blocks you say? Don't they have buses and a subway up there? We have buses here, not especially convenient, but they do just fine for people without vehicles.

How is it cheaper???

Burger patti's 1 for 1 dollar or ground beef 5.99 lb = 4 4oz burgers
    1 package hamburger rolls - 1.50
    ketchup - 2 dollars (or steal teh squeeze packets from mcdonalds)
    = $7.50 for 4 burgers (or if you get the ready made patti's $5.50)
    and you still have to cook it so add in butter/oil/pam
    and no lettuce or anything right?
    assuming you have access to a stove of course...

McDonalds - 4 bucks for 4 burgers. they come with everything you need and I believe even lettuce and you don't have to cook it..
    Sometimes they are even cheaper then a dollar and you can take the extra dollar and get a small bag of fries.
    Don't buy the premade patties - buy the 85/15 burger (that's what McD's burgers are anyway) at 3.39 a lb and make eight burgers (the ones you get for $1 are no more than 1/8 lb). $3.39
    A package of buns comes in an 8 count - $1.50
    Ketchup - you probably already have this, you don't buy it everytime you make burgers. Even if you do, $1.50 for store brand, so $1.50
    85/15 burger has a lot of fat in it so you don't use butter or pam or anything in the pan, hello.
    So for $6.39 you now have 8 burgers.

3.39 a lbs??? not here.. maybe.. MAYBE for 80/20 meat it's around that price. And I didn't even include the cost of ketchup in my total above..

Well i just learned that a hamburger is only 2 oz of meat at most at Mcdonalds. I haven't eaten there in years and don't remember much about the food sizes. However.. to be realistic. How many of those to feed you? 8 burgers feeds 2? By your figures I have saved 1.61 and still have to figure out how to cook it. (I was poor enough at one time to not own a stove.. so there's that too) . Plus I think you can get a double cheeseburger on the dollar menu now.. So now i'm getting double the meat at Mcdonalds then you are the grocery store. So my 4 dollars just bought me 8 hamburgers with cheese and 4 buns,

Cheaper.

How are you getting there?

Kinda irrelevant don't you think? Since i'd have to get to the grocery store as well, so any money spent getting there is the same regardless of where you go. But you have feet if you can't afford gas or a bus ticket. Which also limits what you can purchase at a grocery store. where I lived we had 1 super expensive grocery store in town, the less expensive one was a 25 minute car ride and you'd pass McDonalds (or it's equivalent) twice before you got there. I used to walk it, or use my brothers bicycle to get there, to save on gas. I did work, i just didn't make squat. I was still overweight even with walking. When i got a better job, I bused it for 6 months straight because I couldn't afford a car. That was 2 bus rides in two different directions twice a day. I didn't have a stove for awhile either.. so great having ground beef.. how would I have cooked it?

I don't think people who think it is so easy have actually really lived it. Have ever had to not eat dinner so their kid(s) can eat. I am not saying this to anyone personally. Just in general. It's so easy.. really? Disable your stove, get rid of your car and give yourself 10-15 bucks to eat off of for a week,

What would you do?

Then add a kid or two into the mix ..

oh ya.. and assume you are denied any benefits from the state.

Been there, done that. Grew up in clothes that didn't fit because we were too poor, living with friends bc we couldn't afford rent, and in the back of our van sometimes. Lived in a small shack where the only cookstove was a woodstove. Times when we didn't have a car. We certainly were not ever to be found eating at McDonald's. We grew our own garden in the summer, and my mother and I worked our *kitten* off canning and freezing most of it to eat during the winter months. We worked on the local farms for eggs, milk, chicken and beef. I walked the miles back and forth to school.

When I had kids of my own and we were just starting out, there were times we shuffled the bills around to figure out which ones to skip that month so we could make sure they had what they needed while we kept up (a month behind). Again, if we went to McDonald's it was a rare special treat trip for them. The first year we were married, we made it on as little money as possible, so for our first anniversary we went to Wendy's for dinner.
    I don't think you need to preach to me about being poor.

I didn't preach to you. It was a thought, a comment, directed at no one specifically and everyone in general. Which i specified was not meant for any one personally. Yea.. my parents had a farm and a garden too and when I was a kid, we never went without and McDonalds was a treat. . I wasn't talking about when I was a kid. I was talking about me, as an adult. Anyway. I can agree to disagree. When it comes down to it.. cheap is going to win out, if you are really hungry and really poor. When your choice is a dollar menu item or not eating, you'll get the dollar menu item.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

But because it's not readily available in the same way as McDonalds. Come to 125th street in Harlem and I'll point out 5 fast food places in one square block and not one grocery store. within 10 blocks either direction

How can they afford that? I keep hearing this, but I don't understand how they can even buy McD's every day. I am a bit above the federal poverty line, and I sure can't pay for all that. Bread, ground beef, and a squeeze bottle of Heinz is much cheaper. Ten blocks you say? Don't they have buses and a subway up there? We have buses here, not especially convenient, but they do just fine for people without vehicles.

How is it cheaper???

McDonalds - 4 bucks for 4 burgers. they come with everything you need and I believe even lettuce and you don't have to cook it..
    Sometimes they are even cheaper then a dollar and you can take the extra dollar and get a small bag of fries.

even if you buy premade frozen patti's 6.99 for 8 that's still more expensive then McDonalds and you are assuming they have a way to store and cook the meat.

My prices listed above are less then what I have to pay for it meat. I can get 80/20 patti's 10 for 10 bucks, but you have to buy 10.

Ok, so you don't buy "burger patties." *EVER* They are expensive. You buy *ground beef* 5 pounds at a time for $2.5/pound. Then you use your hands and *make* patties, at 3 ounces per patty. And for the price of one Mc'Ds french fry, you can get the generic frozen fries, or *better yet* get potatoes and cut them yourself. Three medium-sized potatoes will be enough fries for four people, plus 12 ounces of meat, plus a slice of cheese, and then you use bread instead of a bun.

When my my family gets fast food, it runs us about $35 for four. Whereas, I can get a week's worth of groceries for about $80 for all four of us. It blows my mind that anyone would whine about being poor, then pay someone to cook for them. I wish I had a personal chef too, but not being wealthy precludes that idea.

It makes no sense that any poor person would eat fast food every day, unless they are single with no kids. A single person could probably manage it.

wow.. 35 dollars at MdDonalds??? that's must have been "value meals" which were never in my budget and honestly still aren't. I'd rather take my 6 bucks and do something better with it. I've taken my son there once in the last 2 years.. We spent 3 dollars. he got some sort of sandwich, a small fry and a small ice cream. Oh.. excuse me.. 3.20ish cause of tax. that was lunch. I only took him because I told him he could pick anywhere and that's where he picked..

Where is ground beef $2.50lbs?? Not here.. not even the 80/20 stuff. Certainly not where I'm from either. Try 5-6 bucks a pound and start there.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The question should be "are the uneducated fat"?

The uneducated have lower earning potential and less knowledge of nutrition and other health related issues, thus, they don't know about healthier foods, habits, etc nor do they have the income to avail themselves to healthier options.

I think it is desire for healthy eating. I watched this video of a 90 year old woman on You Tube and she was a cook. She grew up during the Depression, I think, and she knew how to eat healthy. She had a lot of veggies. Veggies and eggs, pasta and peas, homemade bread, it really is easier to eat healthy when you are poor than people think. Other people from the depression do not know how to cook like this. They really don't know how to eat healthy. It is easy to educate yourself just by picking up a book and learning. School is not required. If the book is from the library that knowledge gained from the book is freely had.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've gone through moments, especially as a single mom, when money was so tight I had to get creative. It's not hard to spend $20 on enough food to get you through pay day, especially when you buy store-brand.

Whole wheat bread 99¢
    Peanut butter $2
    Brown rice in a bag 99¢
    Banana 89¢ a bundle
    Beans 99¢
    Block of cheese $2
    2 cans tuna $1
    4 bag of frozen veggies $4
    Bag of frozen boneless chicken breast $7

$20 grocery list.

ETA: I never see people on food stamps buy healthy food and the program doesn't really give them any reason to.. Indiana just reduced food stamps a bit and people were outraged... people who get between $400 and $700 a month in food stamps. HOW THE HELL do you spend that much on food a month? Even my family of 3, with big appetites, spends about $250 a MONTH on food and we budget loosely. For people who get WIC, it's not hard for them to follow a list of approved items such as bread, milk, beans and cheese.. Why can't the food stamps program ALSO have a list of approved items? Things like $6-7 frozen DiGiorno pizzas don't belong in a cart of someone on assistance when they are buying 5 at a time. That's money that could be well spent on many other meals.

Where do you live? The prices here are not that cheap. Even at Walmart whole wheat bread is around $3, good peanut butter is $3-4 for a small jar, bananas are about the same as you listed, a block of cheese is also around $3-6, tuna is $1 a can, frozen chicken breast is $11 or more. 1Where do you shop? The only really cheap items I know of are beans and rice. Eating vegan can save a lot of money too. I have gone through a whole month eating vegan and only spent $300 for my family.

I definitely live in a small cheap town, but to me the red flags here are still the items you mentioned. Why does it have to be whole wheat bread? It can be the cheapest bread you can find , white or wheat. "Good" peanut butter? Surely the store brand qualifies here? And chicken thighs or whole chicken can surely be had for less than chicken breasts, you do not have to buy that. Eating fat does not make one overweight, eating too many calories does.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't think being poor = being overweight. I do know a lot of people who complain about not being able to buy "good" and "healthy" food, but seem to be able to afford lots of other things (cable TV with all the channels, iPhones for whole family with data plans, gas-guzzling vehicles, plenty of "toys", going shopping for new clothes all the time when they have plenty, etc.) I also hear people complain about fresh fruit and vegetables going bad when they buy them, yet they never complain about "junk" food going stale and uneaten. In my opinion, it is a matter of prioritizing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

even if you buy premade frozen patti's 6.99 for 8 that's still more expensive then McDonalds and you are assuming they have a way to store and cook the meat.

My prices listed above are less then what I have to pay for it meat. I can get 80/20 patti's 10 for 10 bucks, but you have to buy 10.

Ok, so you don't buy "burger patties." *EVER* They are expensive. You buy *ground beef* 5 pounds at a time for $2.5/pound. Then you use your hands and *make* patties, at 3 ounces per patty. And for the price of one Mc'Ds french fry, you can get the generic frozen fries, or *better yet* get potatoes and cut them yourself. Three medium-sized potatoes will be enough fries for four people, plus 12 ounces of meat, plus a slice of cheese, and then you use bread instead of a bun.

When my my family gets fast food, it runs us about $35 for four. Whereas, I can get a week's worth of groceries for about $80 for all four of us. It blows my mind that anyone would whine about being poor, then pay someone to cook for them. I wish I had a personal chef too, but not being wealthy precludes that idea.

It makes no sense that any poor person would eat fast food every day, unless they are single with no kids. A single person could probably manage it.

wow.. 35 dollars at MdDonalds??? that's must have been "value meals" which were never in my budget and honestly still aren't. I'd rather take my 6 bucks and do something better with it. I've taken my son there once in the last 2 years.. We spent 3 dollars. he got some sort of sandwich, a small fry and a small ice cream. Oh.. excuse me.. 3.20ish cause of tax. that was lunch. I only took him because I told him he could pick anywhere and that's where he picked..

Where is ground beef $2.50lbs?? Not here.. not even the 80/20 stuff. Certainly not where I'm from either. Try 5-6 bucks a pound and start there.

Your user name is becoming more and more appropriate the more you speak.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A lot of poor people are fat but every class of people are. Ever notice how they put fast food chains near low income housing? 99 cent cheese burgers are pretty enticing. Also with food stamps I see some people loading up their carts with all kinds of junk. Nutrition needs to be taught in school for every grade like math and english. The problem is so many people are misinformed or ignorant to what these foods are doing to them. Some just don't care but I think if they really knew the whole story they would.

FWIW, you can't buy "junk" with food stamps, only food.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Ok, I hate to admit this, but if you get inexpensive foods for most meals and eat off the dollar menu at fast food places you can eat for pretty cheap. We have gotten hamburgers at Mcdonalds for all of us for $7. it is still way cheaper to buy your own food and healthier.

Yeah, for $7 I can can a whole roasting chicken (3 meals) and 5 lbs of potatoes. For four people, our average dinner is about $3-4 because we buy smart.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Your user name is becoming more and more appropriate the more you speak.

*snort*

Yes, because we only go to a restaurant once a month. Of course, since I got my promotion and a nice raise, our once a month has switched from McD's to Chinese carryout, where we spend about $45-50 and get two meals out of it, from the leftovers.

But at McD's, the value menu is roughly $5 per person, plus we would get a McFlurry as well. Mind you, this is the *treat* so we would go whole hog. :bigsmile: If need be, we could probably eat there for about $17 if we did the dollar menu, or even $12 doing the dollar menu and no beverage, but that's still 4 times what we spend on the average meal by buying smart at the grocery store and cooking from scratch.
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Don't buy the premade patties - buy the 85/15 burger (that's what McD's burgers are anyway) at 3.39 a lb and make eight burgers (the ones you get for $1 are no more than 1/8 lb). $3.39
    Ketchup - you probably already have this, you don't buy it everytime you make burgers. Even if you do, $1.50 for store brand, so $1.50
    85/15 burger has a lot of fat in it so you don't use butter or pam or anything in the pan, hello.

3.39 a lbs??? not here.. maybe.. MAYBE for 80/20 meat it's around that price. And I didn't even include the cost of ketchup in my total above..

Well i just learned that a hamburger is only 2 oz of meat at most at Mcdonalds. I haven't eaten there in years and don't remember much about the food sizes. However.. to be realistic. How many of those to feed you? 8 burgers feeds 2? By your figures I have saved 1.61 and still have to figure out how to cook it. (I was poor enough at one time to not own a stove.. so there's that too) . Plus I think you can get a double cheeseburger on the dollar menu now.. So now i'm getting double the meat at Mcdonalds then you are the grocery store. So my 4 dollars just bought me 8 hamburgers with cheese and 4 buns,

Cheaper.

I don't know how much your gas bill was last quarter but nobody is taking this into account, my GAS bill was £200 for the last 3 months and I never use my heating, its all for cooking or hot water! Alot of people can't afford the utensils and stuff that you need to cook properly in the first place! A decent set of pans can run you 100 dollars EASILY - alot of poorer people have cash in small amount regularly but never accumulate enough to achieve escape velocity from their situation. its achieving escape velocity which lifts you out of your situation - not getting doled out a few dollars every so often
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Cheaper.

I don't know how much your gas bill was last quarter but nobody is taking this into account, my GAS bill was £200 for the last 3 months and I never use my heating, its all for cooking or hot water! Alot of people can't afford the utensils and stuff that you need to cook properly in the first place! A decent set of pans can run you 100 dollars EASILY - alot of poorer people have cash in small amount regularly but never accumulate enough to achieve escape velocity from their situation. its achieving escape velocity which lifts you out of your situation - not getting doled out a few dollars every so often

This really makes no sense. We're not talking about someone just starting out in life. We're talking about the average household buying food. Typically most households already have the utensils and pots and pans, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    "Good" peanut butter? Surely the store brand qualifies here?

Pretty much *all* peanut butter is good, imo. :smokin:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Blasphemy......just kidding. Personally I can't eat anything other than natural peanut butter and no salt. .....I kike to add my own salts if I want. Personally the other stuff just tastes too sweet and a consistany of dry wall glue.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Cheaper.

This really makes no sense. We're not talking about someone just starting out in life. We're talking about the average household buying food. Typically most households already have the utensils and pots and pans, etc.

Right. When I was 20, I had nothing, but I didn't have kiddos to feed either. It took many years, but I gradually built a decent kitchen, one pan/utensil at a time.

And I have *NEVER* spent $100 for anything kitchen-wise, though my husband once saved up money and bought me a stand-mixer, which is the only *fancy,expensive* item in my kitchen. We still do dishes by hand and get everything at Kmart. (and they have the best layaway for higher-priced items) Also, in the US, the working poor with kids get the EITC at income tax time. For many, that's several thousand in cash that is often spent on things like kitchen items (or mattresses, etc., basically the things that the working poor could never otherwise afford to buy)

Around here, gas is for heating. Electric heat is too expensive. (But either way, you gotta use energy, regardless of the source of it.) Also, our stove is electric, but when we lost our electricity due to being unable to pay the bill, we cooked on a propane camping stove. We also have a fire pit in the back yard, if need be.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Blasphemy......just kidding. Personally I can't eat anything other than natural peanut butter and no salt. .....I kike to add my own salts if I want. Personally the other stuff just tastes too sweet and a consistany of dry wall glue.

I forgot about "natural" stuff. Yeah, I meant anything other than "natural" or "sugar-free." :laugh:
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is a factor that is missing in the original argument and most that I have read within. That is the connection between stress and obesity. Being in poverty is stressful, especially if you are fighting to get out and not relying on government supplementation. It is difficult to find the energy to shop smartly, cook healthily, and eat well... when you're working two full time, minimum wage jobs and raising kids. Even if you have the education, and have the resources locally, it's additional stress on top of an already overflowing cup of responsibility.

Stress of this nature isn't just due to low money, either. Those who commute long distances to work up to 14 hour days, even if they are well educated and well-off financially, don't have the time nor energy to make 'smart' choices in a world where convenience rules over health. Stress hormones + convenience foods = obesity.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Right. When I was 20, I had nothing, but I didn't have kiddos to feed either. It took many years, but I gradually built a decent kitchen, one pan/utensil at a time.

And I have *NEVER* spent $100 for anything kitchen-wise, though my husband once saved up money and bought me a stand-mixer, which is the only *fancy,expensive* item in my kitchen. We still do dishes by hand and get everything at Kmart. (and they have the best layaway for higher-priced items) Also, in the US, the working poor with kids get the EITC at income tax time. For many, that's several thousand in cash that is often spent on things like kitchen items (or mattresses, etc., basically the things that the working poor could never otherwise afford to buy)

Around here, gas is for heating. Electric heat is too expensive. (But either way, you gotta use energy, regardless of the source of it.) Also, our stove is electric, but when we lost our electricity due to being unable to pay the bill, we cooked on a propane camping stove. We also have a fire pit in the back yard, if need be.

That is very true.. A friend of mine.. 3 incomes (husband has 2 jobs), 2 kids, a dog,. living in a house that is really too small for them, is currently finding herself buying hot dogs, pasta and ramen because of all the furlough days her husband was forced to take for both jobs, since both his jobs are government. They are considered the working poor despite her masters degree and him having 2 jobs.. It's really sad when a family with that level of education and that many jobs are having their electricity turned off and cancelling their phones, just to keep their mortgage paid and their kids fed. Oh.. and they didn't get a tax refund or that earned income credit, they owe, despite claiming 0 at all the jobs. It's really sad.

I was 20, with a kid. It seems we are talking about things from a completely different view point. It's all relative to experience, where you live and what is available to you. You can have the whole "i pulled myself out of it, so you should be able to" mentality as long as you recognize that it's not easy, it's not the same for everyone and it's not always as easy as.. go buy chicken at the grocery store and cook it. Esp when you have other priorities that take presence over what ends up on your plate.

I totally agree with the escape velocity idea mentioned above. I also agree that people often squander their tax returns, if they get one, on things others deem frivolous. That's not the case always, but it does happen.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That is very true.. A friend of mine.. 3 incomes (husband has 2 jobs), 2 kids, a dog,. living in a house that is really too small for them, is currently finding herself buying hot dogs, pasta and ramen because of all the furlough days her husband was forced to take for both jobs, since both his jobs are government. They are considered the working poor despite her masters degree and him having 2 jobs.. It's really sad when a family with that level of education and that many jobs are having their electricity turned off and cancelling their phones, just to keep their mortgage paid and their kids fed. Oh.. and they didn't get a tax refund or that earned income credit, they owe, despite claiming 0 at all the jobs. It's really sad.

I was 20, with a kid. It seems we are talking about things from a completely different view point. It's all relative to experience, where you live and what is available to you. You can have the whole "i pulled myself out of it, so you should be able to" mentality as long as you recognize that it's not easy, it's not the same for everyone and it's not always as easy as.. go buy chicken at the grocery store and cook it. Esp when you have other priorities that take presence over what ends up on your plate.

I totally agree with the escape velocity idea mentioned above. I also agree that people often squander their tax returns, if they get one, on things others deem frivolous. That's not the case always, but it does happen.

We still eat hot dogs plenty of times. Nothing wrong with that.

And I know about furlough. I have to take a two month furlough every year, and I'm in the private sector. It does boil down to experience. I know a lot more at 40 than I did at 20, especially about how to get by without enough money.