Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Again, I work is a low-income, inner-city school. I have a student that was over 100 pounds overweight, stopped going to school because he was bullied and depressed. His dad brought him to the doctors. His dad is raising him on his own. The doctor spoke to them and signed a referral to see a bariatric surgeon about gastric bypass surgery. The dad was horrified and asked if there were any other alternatives, his son was only 15 years old! The doctor told him that his government insurance would pay for it and that he should get the surgery. His dad inquired about any other options available. The dr. told him he could try a visit to the nutritionist, but it probably would not work and was a waste of time. The dad did go. His son lost 110 pounds through diet and exercise. He is back in school and it has been 3 years. This is a wonderful and true story. BUT IT IS NOT THE NORM. His dad is EXCEPTIONAL.

This is multi-faceted problem. It is access, it is education, it is a matter of breaking a cycle, it is marketing, etc etc etc

And for the record, who cares what the definition of a urban desert is? .... there are places where a market with fresh food is not available and that is a problem.

Way to go for that dad! That is awesome that even though he was discouraged to make a change he did it. Way to go for the son who worked with his dad and listened to the nutritionist!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I thought it was lack of education?

Ding ding ding.

Coming from a poor unhealthy overweight family I would also like to add poor people are LAZY end of story! There are plenty of opportunities out there you just have to get up off your @$$ and get them!

WOW. Cool generalization skills.

Did you happen to see the post I made earlier with actual statistics relating socioeconomic status to obesity? Your insinuation is both insulting and incorrect.

It was actually an observation skill, so my observation is actually correct from what I OBSERVED growing up, also if it is true it is not an insult. I will go back read what you posted about statistical information that could be even more bias then my 30 year observation.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Again, I work is a low-income, inner-city school. I have a student that was over 100 pounds overweight, stopped going to school because he was bullied and depressed. His dad brought him to the doctors. His dad is raising him on his own. The doctor spoke to them and signed a referral to see a bariatric surgeon about gastric bypass surgery. The dad was horrified and asked if there were any other alternatives, his son was only 15 years old! The doctor told him that his government insurance would pay for it and that he should get the surgery. His dad inquired about any other options available. The dr. told him he could try a visit to the nutritionist, but it probably would not work and was a waste of time. The dad did go. His son lost 110 pounds through diet and exercise. He is back in school and it has been 3 years. This is a wonderful and true story. BUT IT IS NOT THE NORM. His dad is EXCEPTIONAL.

This is multi-faceted problem. It is access, it is education, it is a matter of breaking a cycle, it is marketing, etc etc etc

And for the record, who cares what the definition of a urban desert is? .... there are places where a market with fresh food is not available and that is a problem.

I think your post illustrates that it has more to do with the choices some people make. Not everyone has options, I get that, but i don't think those numbers would explain a general trend.

And I think the definition of what constitutes a food desert does make a difference; we shouldn't lend credence to the 'can't win; don't try' mentality. After all, your post is a perfect example of the results of making an effort.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding.

Coming from a poor unhealthy overweight family I would also like to add poor people are LAZY end of story! There are plenty of opportunities out there you just have to get up off your @$$ and get them!

:noway: There is so much ignorance in this statement it's not even funny. I think I'm gonna just leave this one alone before I get myself a strike from the mods
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There is very few "truely" poor people in the US.

It's comments like this that make me feel bad due to the large population of ignorant people we have in this country.

Yup, in 2005, almost 1/2 of the worlds population. That is over 3 billion people, live under $2.50. I can garentee that they are not fat.

I like these discussions, makes me smarter. But it is a no constest argument to compare An American family living at $12.5k to 20K and calling them poor and a family in Sahara desert living on $900 a year. Again, Americans have had hard times, some times we even have to live in the streets, but almost no of us are "truely poor." We have programs and charity to prevent that.
  • SarahSiegel78
    Options
    I believe it's purely education and lack of drive. I am the working poor. I started eating healthy a few weeks ago and my grocery bill had increased 5 fold! Fresh fruits and veggies, better cuts of meat, and fish is expensive! Going to the gym is expensive. (I do realize you can workout at home cheaper, but I need the support of others at least in the beginning!) I go to weekly meetings with a great group of people who share their experiences and give you ideas and encouragement. I have friends who are poor as well and have to desire to be fit and healthy!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding.

:noway: There is so much ignorance in this statement it's not even funny. I think I'm gonna just leave this one alone before I get myself a strike from the mods

Not ignorance but observation, from my family and neighborhood and area that I lived in I observed that poor people are not only fat but lazy. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer on my comment that (North shore Boston Mass area).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There is very few "truely" poor people in the US.

It's comments like this that make me feel bad due to the large population of ignorant people we have in this country.

Yup, in 2005, almost 1/2 of the worlds population. That is over 3 billion people, live under $2.50. I can garentee that they are not fat.

I like these discussions, makes me smarter. But it is a no constest argument to compare An American family living at $12.5k to 20K and calling them poor and a family in Sahara desert living on $900 a year. Again, Americans have had hard times, some times we even have to live in the streets, but almost no of us are "truely poor." We have programs and charity to prevent that.

You know, you're good. In your first post I thought you were serious, now I get it. Very clever. Take a Tebow.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding.

Do what I did, correct it for them, and chalk it up to them writin' in 'murican, and not english.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    IT costs less to be thin than to be fat, regardless of the quality of your food.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thoughts ?

I think this is a very US-American issue, plus the word " poor " would have to move out of the area of cultural perception into the area of being clearly defined.
    I work in humanitarian aid ( and have for over 30 years ) and for example here in Mexico the truly poor ( people who earn less than 1000.- dollars a year and not just those who have only one TV and drive a car that is ten years old or older ) are usually thin, because eating at a caloric deficit for almost all their lives does not allow people to gain weight. I have had the same experience in Africa and Asia.
    [/quote]

It's exactly the opposite in the UK. Fruit and veg are flew in from abroad and bloody expensive. Highly processed food is a fraction of the cost. Fruit and veg is also tasteless, which doesn't help. Lack of education and/or time on the top and here's a recipe for collective obesity.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

Way to go for that dad! That is awesome that even though he was discouraged to make a change he did it. Way to go for the son who worked with his dad and listened to the nutritionist!

He is an amazing kid!! He is lucky to have a great dad.
  • enlighted09
    enlighted09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In a poor families food habits are handed down through generations. I resent any statement that was said that poor people are lazy and under educated. I grew up in the ghetto. I came from an overweight family. My grandmother and mother worked two jobs trying to make ends meet like cleaning other people's homes and babysitting other people's children and leaving theirs own at home. They scrubbed toilets and floors to feed us. Yes, we were fat but we were happy. One thing you fail to realize. In a truly poor family the only thing that mother has to give her child is love and she shows that by feeding them. They have nothing else to give. Now, if you call that lazy then you are the one under educated and over privileged.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I also need to add-it can be due to sheer stubbornness. I have had people turn down FREE greens, lettuce, 2# turnips (one of those "ihve filled my house and theyre still growing! For the love of god TAKE SOME!"

"That turnip is lumpy."
    "Do you have and greens you already cooked?"
    "This has dirt on it."
    "Walmarts strawberries are darker red."

1. It is a root. I dont get to tell it what shape to be.
    2. Yes, in tupperware i paid for. After i spent 6 hours cleaning and cooking 70# of greens.
    3. Again, you're holding a root. Those grow in the ground.
    4. Walmart also makes you pay for them, and they're usually moldy.

I cant tell you how many times i have watched peopke turn down FREE produce because it wasnt shiny or perfectly round or had a leaf stuck to it.

If you are truely poor and hungry, and i have a sign saying "Take what you want, please leave my baskets" in an imporverished area
    ndthe baskets are gone but the produce is dumped on the ground-you are willfully poor.

I am lucky to be able to grow more than i need AND more than i can sell-but the gall of some people is astounding.

Also-anyone who is desperately poor-please dont approach farmers markets suggesting they GIVE you eggs or veggies. I work 75 hour weeks producing this stuff. Im still below the poverty level and i have bills to pay too. That being said-i am not going to turn you away if you cant afford my food. You have $5.00 to last two weeks? Bring me a bucket, bag, or basket and an empty egg carton. Ill hook you up. Everyone gets one free boost. I got it when my papaw lended me his tiller and bought my first round of seeds.

But dont come back the following week expecting the same generosity. One free ride so you dont have to spend your $5.00 on food.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A quarter of a mile isn’t a lot, no – if you’re shopping for one person. If you’re shopping for a family of four, or five, or six, however…. yeah, it actually can be. If you need two gallons of milk, a lot of eggs, laundry detergent…. hauling all of that more than a quarter of mile will net you some strong, strong muscles, I’d say.

Now, speaking for myself only – I was always prepared. I had a market basket, someone to help me out pushing a SECOND basket, and a lot of stamina. But I can only speak to my own experiences.

When I was a kid, my parents had this old van that broke down constantly, so we were often without a vehicle. Still had to get to school, work and the grocery store.

The nearest grocery store was several miles away and required walking over a bridge (not a flat one) often in cold and snow (New York state). They bought one of those large, wheeled baskets (like you did) and they managed. And if they had to make more than one trip to keep food in the house, they did. There's no law that says you can't go to the grocery store more than once a week or month or whatever.

I have a grocery store 1.2 miles from my house. I usually drive because I do buy a lot on my weekly trip. But if I were ever without a car, I'd still need to eat and if that meant I had to go two or three times a week, that is what I would do.

I have lived in rural and urban areas and never once had a grocery store less than 1/4 mile away and often did not have a vehicle. I have never been obese.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Survival of the fittest!
  • rml_16
    Options
    a head of broccoli costs .99 cents, and a mcchicken sandwhich also costs .99 cents.

But that head of broccoli is either going to feed one person for several meals or several people while that sandwich is only going to feed one person for one meal.

So the broccoli is actually cheaper.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    a head of broccoli costs .99 cents, and a mcchicken sandwhich also costs .99 cents.

But that head of broccoli is either going to feed one person for several meals or several people while that sandwich is only going to feed one person for one meal.

Not on a calorie basis........a small portion of broccoli is but a few calorie and a whole head isn't much better.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not on a calorie basis........a small portion of broccoli is but a few calorie and a whole head isn't much better.
    But you would pair it with other food.

I would bet you could get the same calories and better nutrition for the same price as that sandwich.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

But you would pair it with other food.

I would bet you could get the same calories and better nutrition for the same price as that sandwich.

Ok.. but you have 5 dollars to feed a family of 4 lunch. I can buy 4 sandwiches and a bottle of soda *or* I can get a head of broccoli (which is 99 cents a pound here when on sale.. not per head, and it's usually more per pound) and maybe some chicken drumsticks (breasts would be too expensive) So now I've got a pound of broccoli and a pound drumsticks, maybe 2 since the price is anywhere from 1 buck a pound to 2 bucks a pound for them, to feed a family of 4... and no starch. So that's.. what.. 1-2 drumsticks each and a small amount of broccoli. Not much better, nor did it stretch that far and I guess we're all drinking water. his is assuming I have the ability to cook the chicken and access to tap water.