Can someone help me please? lower cals or lower carbs

Options
1235»

Replies

• susanm160
    Options
    Hi there,
    The type of carbs also make a difference. Carbs from fruits will break down better in your body. So try to substitute a craving for a bad carb with a good one. Veggies also can help. Remember moderation is the key. If you deprive your body too much all at once it will beef up on the cravings (sort of like a withdrawal). Your body has set points. Eventually as you decrease the carb intakes gradually and stay with the new decrease for a period of time, then you body will form a new set point. Then you can decrease the carbs again and so on. Remember that no carbs is not good either, for your body needs a certain amount. Hope this helps.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm newish and been trying to stick to a low carb diet under 50g per day, i'm finding it really difficult to stick to that and always end up going over, but usually have calories left over.

I sit better to do lower carb in my situation? or just lower fat and calorie count? i'm confused as i keep reading various information and it is getting a bit mindboggling.

I am 31, 5"5 and weigh 201.8lbs so classed as obese. I want to lose about 58lbs.

Someone please help me decide what will work for me

Thanks in advance

I just logged my breakfast. I use protein without any added sugar or artificial ingredients (they cause weight gain and prevent weight loss) I use about a quarter of a banana and throw in a few blueberries and some yogurt. It does not come close to that!! Check your protein powder. It must have added sugar.

Sugar does independently cause fat accumulation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm newish and been trying to stick to a low carb diet under 50g per day, i'm finding it really difficult to stick to that and always end up going over, but usually have calories left over.

I sit better to do lower carb in my situation? or just lower fat and calorie count? i'm confused as i keep reading various information and it is getting a bit mindboggling.

I am 31, 5"5 and weigh 201.8lbs so classed as obese. I want to lose about 58lbs.

Thanks in advance

I just logged my breakfast. I use protein without any added sugar or artificial ingredients (they cause weight gain and prevent weight loss) I use about a quarter of a banana and throw in a few blueberries and some yogurt. It does not come close to that!! Check your protein powder. It must have added sugar.

Sugar does independently cause fat accumulation.

Neither do the "artificial ingredients"
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

For weight loss, 100 carbs. Pay attention to your macros and less about the calories. A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another. For example, take a protein bar. Almost all of them are low calorie.. but take a look at the ingredients!! Many have close to the amount of sugar recommended for the day. Quality of calories is what counts!! And track your sugar... 10 percent of your calories

Message me if you want examples

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
    Isn't paying attention to your macros basically the same as watching your calories but saying it in a different way?

Also, you tell him to watch carbs and also to track his sugar....they're basically the same thing.

OP- if you're doing lower carb, but still under your calorie limit, I don't see the issue. If you want to eat 70g, 100g of carbs or whatever, then you'll just have lower the fat and/or protein intake to be under your calorie limit. It's a personal choice that you'll have to decide what works for you.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Wat? Clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss

For women, nutrition absolutely has to do with weight loss. And clean eating is good nutrition. It's not rocket science. I was sharing what has worked for me, I'm also a women in my thirties. Weight loss is totally different for men than it is for women.

No it's not. I'm in my 30s and lose weight with a simple calorie deficit (and adequate protein and lifting).

Ditto.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good answer.
  • mars735
    mars735 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Women and men are different when it comes to weight issues. Men typically have more muscle mass. Muscle mass requires calories just to maintain itself metabolically. Men lose faster AND have an easier time maintaining due to this fact.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I see you've gotten lots of responses, and honestly, haven't read them. You have to find a way of eating that works for you, that you can live with, and eventually move into maintenance. I'm just going to share what is working for me.

I did lose quite a bit doing lower carb (no carb counting, followed a program called Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan program) - actually more of a balanced carb approach where you only eat complex carbs once a day, and balanced by low carb veggies and protein. I did however, eventually reach a plateau for a number of months. I realized I was simply eating too much re my portions.

Choosing a daily calorie limit while eating per CALP rules for what I eat, how long a meal lasts, and how often I eat, has been what got me another 64 lbs. off to day (my total is now just under 149 lbs.). When I'm done, I will add calories until I start to gain, then back off and live at that level for the rest of my life...and per CALP and maintenance, add carbs until I start to gain, then back off.

I'm coming up on my 3rd anniversary of starting to lose, so have great confidence in being able to do this for a lifetime.

Find what will work for you! and then don't quit. If you stumble, figure out why, pick yourself back up, tweak your program if needed, and continue on.

best wishes to you.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • Arkanfine
    Options
    I had the same problem for the first few days on my diet. I was sooooo hungry. Then I later learned a few things to lower the calories:
    Add
    1. 1/2 banana sliced on cereal makes it alot more filling and only cost you 50 cal.
    2. If easting a cereal like Special K cinnamon pecan, use unsweetened almond milk. There is no soy and the cereal will sweeten the milk. Plus it is only 30 cal for 1 cup.
    3. Eat a snack before you get hungry.
    4. I realized very quickly that I would rather eat my calories than drink them. So load up on water.
    5. Im not on weight watchers, but thier recipes might save you a lot. Google the cabbage soup (about 25 cal and taste great) or make a homemade chicken soup with wheat egg noodles. They will fill you up and not pack on calories.
    6. You can eat a family size bag of cruciferous veggies and not put a dent in your calories...love them.
    7. Be careful with dressings, my favorite is Annie's Rasberry Vinegrette , 20 cal per serv. Can you believe it? AWESOME!
    8. Pre-pare your meals. Making food at the last minute could lead to some aweful choices.
    9. My favorite meats are talapia and cod. They are so low in calories it's funny.
    10. Create your own stimuli when you want to reject a temptation. I talk to commercials and call them the devil. I know that is super silly, but it works for me.
  • Arkanfine
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I lost 5 pounds in a week doing these things. On a 1200cal a day diet. I have about 45 pounds to go. Ultimately, you have to burn more that you consume. Earn or burn!!!!!