Treadmill versus non-treadmill running.

Options
2»

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am dubious about all of this report.

All I have to go on is my own experience of running on the treadmill -v- running outside.

A comparison as an example is, my 10k time outdoors is 56:33, on the treadmill, it is 45:41. My 5k time outdoors is 25:34, on the treadmill it is 21:40. My 10 mile time on the treadmill is 79 minutes, outside it is approximately 93 minutes.

Quite a difference in all the times there.
    Seriously? Come on. A treadmill is perfectly flat unless you give it an incline.

Also, and hardly anybody knows this here for whatever reason, treadmills may or may not be at the speed you specify.

I know they are perfectly flat.

That does not mean however, that running on one is the same as running outdoors, hence why I quoted my time differences.

The treadmill I use, is my own one and is a commercial one and yes, the speed on it is accurate.

The reason a person can run faster on a treadmill is because the mill forces the person to run at that speed, this does not happen outdoors, the person is dictating the speed on the road and will slow down and speed up accordingly to compensate for various factors.

The times I stated above are true.
    I'm not doubting your times. What I am saying is that OF COURSE you're going to be faster on a treadmill because of what you said and because outside goes up and down. And if you want to know how fast you're going, run with something that gives speed (HRM, app on smarthphone).