Is it healthy to eat like this to loose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I thought salads were healthy? and fish is healthy? I just don't understand why that is so unhealthy?

It's unhealthy because the units that we use to measure energy (calories) are not high enough for you to even keep breathing or producing new blood cells, let alone breast feed a baby.

Everything you do burns calories, you need enough for your body to function. If you figure out your BMR using this websites calculators, that gives you a good base number to not eat below. If you are breast feeding you typically need an additional 500 calories per day.

If she's only breastfeeding twice a day then it's likely she has an older baby who eats solids the rest of the time. So that would significantly reduce the amount of extra calories she needs. Maybe 100-200 extra. But yes, OP isn't eating nearly enough to begin with, regardless of breastfeeding.

Lol, yeah I would have no idea how many times a day is "normal" since I'm not a mother. Thanks for pointing that out, don't want her to end up going from under eating to over eating.
  • Puppylover79
    Options
    The most important note: you need to nourish yourself, you need to nourish the babe at your breast, and you need to have enough left over to nourish the next baby you want to grow. Some vigorous exercise will help prepare your body for the next go!

I agree with most of the other comments on here! That is far too few calories and not enough nutrients.

first, it is important keep taking a prenatal vitamin to be sure you have all of your nutrients. I find when I don't take mine I am extra hungry...your body knows it needs something so you'll crave things, but possibly end up eating crap.

I have BF'd the last year (my baby turns one this week) and have lost all 40+ lbs of baby weight with little to no exercise and eating anything I wanted, probably at least 1500-2500 daily average. I don't recommend it, I would have preferred to watch my intake. I just want to give you an example of how LOW you are talking.

The foods you list are great for meals and snacks, really they are. Don't hesitate to branch out and try new naturally low fat high protein food (I do NOT mean food labeled "non-fat", those have extra sugars and will not make you feel full) . Both you and your baby need fat, fat is not what makes you fat. Don't eat diet foods, they use chemicals and sweeteners that aren't good for you or your baby. Eat real foods.

Just be sure to use the diary on myfitnesspal for a while til you are good at estimating your actual calorie intake.
  • Madilyn1992
    Options
    Thanks I guess I will just count my calories. :)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    -deleted-
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks I guess I will just count my calories. :)

If you love salads, definitely incorporate them in every day. Just don't eat them for EVERY meal. That limits your options for getting the variety of nutrients you need. There are tons of awesome foods you can eat to get in good nutrients for your baby while still losing weight. Make sure you get in your healthy fats too! Fat is a nutrient you need just as much as all the rest.
  • mamahannick
    Options
    Double post. Oops.
  • mamahannick
    Options
    I thought salads were healthy? and fish is healthy? I just don't understand why that is so unhealthy?

It's unhealthy because the units that we use to measure energy (calories) are not high enough for you to even keep breathing or producing new blood cells, let alone breast feed a baby.

Everything you do burns calories, you need enough for your body to function. If you figure out your BMR using this websites calculators, that gives you a good base number to not eat below. If you are breast feeding you typically need an additional 500 calories per day.

If she's only breastfeeding twice a day then it's likely she has an older baby who eats solids the rest of the time. So that would significantly reduce the amount of extra calories she needs. Maybe 100-200 extra. But yes, OP isn't eating nearly enough to begin with, regardless of breastfeeding.

Lol, yeah I would have no idea how many times a day is "normal" since I'm not a mother. Thanks for pointing that out, don't want her to end up going from under eating to over eating.

As a comparison, newborn babies typically require feeding every 2-3 hours. :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Horrible idea!!! This is the point that you are actually eating for two, not while pregnant. Your baby needs more nutrition other than salad and freakin salmon. Figure out your TDEE less 15-20%, eat that and get moving. The weight will come off. Mine didnt budge until I stopped breastfeeding. I just decided I could wait to lose it after I was done nursing.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way too few calories, not nearly enough protein, and not at all sustainable. Good luck with that.
    THIS ^^^^^^^That would get boring, too and may be hard to stick to. I give myself a lot of variety in all the food groups and really do eat a lot. I have been on maintenance for quite awhile, but when I was on the losing end I ate like I said and lost something each week. Some weeks were more loss than others, but always going down.
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in order to produce enough breast milk to feed your baby.

^^^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • ashleyisabb
    ashleyisabb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 60 pounds while breastfeeding my son (still am). Eat foods that aren't processed. Fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, and LOTS of protein (meat, fish, almonds, eggs).

An example of what I ate/eat in a day:

Spinach, mushroom, egg white omellette with two slices of turkey bacon and a banana for breakfast.
    A handful of raw almonds as a snack.
    A protein smoothie with berries, natural pb, and almond milk.
    Salad.
    A granola bar or yogurt with oats.
    Chicken veggies ad brown rice for dinner.
    And a treat at night (a square of dark chocolate)
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just had a baby 3 months ago and she is strictly breastfed.

I too am trying to lose the baby weight. I pump at least 3x a day to stimulate my breasts in order to produce milk. I drink 8OZ of WHOLE milk each morning and oatmeal for breakfast most mornings, sometimes I make an egg white omelette on the weekends with plenty of vegetables, for lunch I eat a salad, salmon or tuna, for snacks I eat fruits( banana, peanut butter, apples etc). I try to eat 6 small meals a day and I go to curves 3/5x a week for 30mins each day. I also take a supplement called FENUGREEK(3 PILLS each 2x a day after meals)it increases milk supply by a few ounces and you can buy it at walmart. According to myfitness pal I want to lose 1 lb a week because I consider it healthy without compromising my milk supply and my ob/gyn said its fine. Oh and drink plenty of water at least 8 glasses a day.