How long did you train for your first half-marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Although I've never officially trained for a half marathon, the timeframe it took me to go from complete non-runner to being able to run 21km km was about 3 1/2 months. I'd say once you can do 10k the rest is all mental.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I tried for 17 weeks, but was ready by week 11. I followed this app and recommend it to all of my friends and those that got it, love it. Half Marathon with Jeff Galloway in the itunes app store.

My week starts on Monday and this is what I did:
    Tuesday 30 minute run
    Thursday 30 minute run
    Friday 30 minute walk
    Sunday alternating weeks of long/short endurance runs building to 14 miles.

I also follow a 6 minute run / 20 second walk and repeat.

Finished my first HM in under 2 hours. Goal was 1h45m but the course had a dozen hills on it I was not prepared for.
  • willievanzandt
    Options
    All about the build up. Make sure you are getting your short runs in and stick to the plan for your weekly long runs.
    I have made the mistake of running farther than my plan called for on my long runs and injured myself in the process.
    Half Marathons are fun, short enough to really enjoy the experience
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    With the running base you currently have, completing a half should be no problem. The next question is what is your goal for this half? Do you just want to finish it (run/walk regardless of time)? Run the entire distance (regardless of time)? Complete (run/walk) in a certain time? Run (no walking) it in a certain time? Some other goal? Whatever your goal is, incorporate it into your training.

Factor the course terrain into your training as well.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    My first half marathon training was a 16 week program.

I'm planning on doing another one this October but that training won't be as "intense" so to speak. I already run and there are several races I want to do through out the year - 5k's, 10k's, 1/4 marathon -- so the only thing I'll really have to focus on is distance this time.

Definitely try to keep your weekly long run plans as someone else suggested. During my first training there were a few that I "missed" (all of my long runs were done outside, all other training was done on a treadmill) and I had to do a few long runs (10+ miles) on a treadmill which SUCKED! LOL.

Make sure too that you do speed work as well as tempo runs. Every other Wednesday in my training was either speed work or tempo with Thursday being my recovery run. Sunday was my long and Monday was just a "regular" run so to speak.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

I should have added a bit more information. I've been "running" for about a year now, but have only been doing 3 miles at a time, about 3 days a week. I've done a couple 5ks already, but really wanted to focus on distance rather than speed. My 24 week plan starts with a base of 3 miles and goes up to 10, adding one mile to my "long runs" every couple weeks. The other days of the week, I'm doing cross training and/or strength training.

I'm definitely convinced running is very mental, and if I can break through that, I can reach my goal by June. I just wanted to hear from others to see if that's realistic.

Thanks for all the feedback and support!

This additional information changes my answer (above). You can totally do this - keep going!
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    With the running base you currently have, completing a half should be no problem. The next question is what is your goal for this half? Do you just want to finish it (run/walk regardless of time)? Run the entire distance (regardless of time)? Complete (run/walk) in a certain time? Run (no walking) it in a certain time? Some other goal? Whatever your goal is, incorporate it into your training.

I'm really just wanting to complete the race. I'm prepared to have to walk portions of it, and that's okay with me. I'm much more focused on completing it, then I can train for more specific time goals in the future. Also, the terrain is very "first-time runner friendly" It's almost completely flat (maybe even slightly downhill) and on a beautiful trail along a scenic river. I've heard it's the best course in my area for a first-timer.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    My thoughts are that a new runner may be overreaching making their first race a half-marathon. Not that it can't be done it's more a question of how much you're going to enjoy the experience. Going from zero to 13.1 miles in 24 weeks or so is very ambitious and doesn't really allow your body to adapt (bone density, capillary density, mitochondrial density......there's a lot going on while you're building your aerobic base)

Running is, in large part, a mental game and, depending on the size of the race you've entered, can be quite intimidating. Most people will start off with a 5K or 2, move on to a 10K and then to half-marathon distances. With a little racing experience under your belt there's less of an intimidation factor and you're probably going to have a lot more fun.

Good luck with your training.

I actually disagree.

I am more of a runner than my husband. I always have been. He did a 5k and then there is one 7 mile race we do every year and that is the one and ONLY time he runs. His first big race that he ever did was the half marathon that we did in 2009. We trained together (his program was slightly different than mine) for 16 weeks and had no problem doing the 13.1 miles and finished it in under 2 hours.

It's all about the training program and whether or not you have a certain time that you want to finish in or if you just want to finish.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I'm really just wanting to complete the race. I'm prepared to have to walk portions of it, and that's okay with me. I'm much more focused on completing it, then I can train for more specific time goals in the future. Also, the terrain is very "first-time runner friendly" It's almost completely flat (maybe even slightly downhill) and on a beautiful trail along a scenic river. I've heard it's the best course in my area for a first-timer.
    It sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about. Your training plan is spot on and so is your attitude. Have fun and enjoy the race. The first one is definitely a blast.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A lot of it depends on your existing aerobic capacity. However, anything over 12 weeks and I think I would lose interest and not have much fun. My first half, I didn't have a plan, but I just ran here and there and my time reflected it my effort. For a first HM, I would just try to run as many miles as my body would let me (with zero speedwork) and build up your weekly long runs.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

You have a plan and a goal. Take the time, build your distance and then enjoy the event.

Think out your hydration plan and listen to your body to determine if you'll need to fuel during the run. Water points make good walk stretches during the race. Drinking is easier at a walk than a run. If your training reveals you need to fuel during the race, practice that before hand as well ... find a gel, chew, snack, whatever that works for you.

With the time you have in your training plan, nothing should be a surprise come race day.