Friends...

Options
Ok...being new, I don't really understand what it is that is different that you can do when you have befriended someone. Would someone please enlighten me?

Replies

• Nothing different ... It's a lot like any other social site (facebook, Twitter) ... The focus is more specific. We make friends for encouragement, sharing, support, and for fun! If that's not your thing then that's fine because MFP is a GREAT site for tracking cals, food, and exercise. If you decide you want some friends ... Feel free to add me.
  • Nothing different ... It's a lot like any other social site (facebook, Twitter) ... The focus is more specific. We make friends for encouragement, sharing, support, and for fun! If that's not your thing then that's fine because MFP is a GREAT site for tracking cals, food, and exercise. If you decide you want some friends ... Feel free to add me.

WOW!! I'm so slow tonight! LOL!! We already are friends!! LOL!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When you post your exercise, submit your food journal for the day or update your weight MFP posts updates for you and any of your friends. This is of course so you can see your progress but also so that friends can encourage you along the way. You can make it so other things such as your food diary is viewable by friends or not. Some people feel that that gives them more accountability and others feel it helps others to see what they are doing if it is working. Most but not all of my friends on here are from a group of people who want to lose 100 pounds and want to have support from each other. There are some groups based on other things such as age or a type of diet. The groups are not that formal as on other sites. They seem to work by continued replies on a post and by adding each other as friends. On Facebook all my friends are friends or acquaintances from real life but here that is not the case. It is a new experience for me. I have been surprised but in some ways they understand what I am doing better than those I know such as family or friends. MFP is working for me and it is definitely related to the exercise and food journal but also the friends are part of the equation for me as well. I am relatively new so I may have some of this wrong and there may be something I am missing. Some or all of what I have said may be obvious. I agree that there are some that may not need this aspect of MFP. I wasn't sure about this but felt that I was going to check out anything that helps in what is going to be for me a longterm commitment and huge effort. However everyone on here is tremendously helpful and supportive so I think just posting on the message boards could work just as well for some. Others may not want or need to add friends on here at all.