Morning workout or after work?

Options
2»

Replies

• jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mornings usually. I find that I control my cravings better if I workout before any major eating, and I have tons of energy for the rest of the day. I feel accomplished, even when I have to wake up earlier than usual to do it.

I've tried doing evenings and have found that it just won't happen...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Can only do evenings... unless stumbling around like an idiot trying to wake up in the morning counts as exercise
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    afterwork. I hate waking up in the morning and sleep as long as I can. I do not function very well before having coffee, unless work would allow me to go in at 10am.
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Always evenings - I would never get up in the morning I have always been a night owl. Even when I was super fit in high school I would always workout in the evenings.

Take your gym bag with you to work and tell people you're going to the gym - I feel like an idiot if I just carry the bag home out of sheer laziness. Also not going home inbetween doesn't give me the chance to get comfy at home. I also know my colleagues will ask me how the gym was and I won't lie so I have to go!

Evenings help me sleep so much - I am a terrible sleeper and exercise is the best cure for my insomnia. Also, my boyfriend works a lot of nights so it gives me something to do rather than just vegging out at home in front of NetFlix!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm not technically alive in the mornings. I am some sort of zombie that manages to get dressed and in my car with not a minute to spare. Nights however, I can make myself go, even after working 9-5:30 and going to school from 6:30-9 pm, and not getting back into my down until almost 10 pm. Thankfully that's only one night a week but I manage to go either on my way home from work or immediately after dinner at home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have also done mornings in the past, but I've never been a morning person so now I do it after work. I do workout in the mornings on the weekend, but my mornings are much later on the weekends when there is no alarm.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do 2 a day. Except on my rest days of course! I'm lucky enough to work from home, but even when I did work out of the house, I found that shorter, 15-30 minute workout programs work best for me. I put more into a shorter workout since I don't have to pace myself, it's easier to fit into my schedule, and I like doing it from home since that makes it even easier to do. I'm a big fan of youtube for that reason. Blogilates is probably my favorite. If it's night and I don't want to do a 1/2 hour strength session, but I don't want to skip my workout, I'll follow a 10 minute routine and get a good burn in. And it's free! With mornings, a cup of coffee is a must for me. I like the snooze button too. But once that kicks in, I'm ready for my workout. I think that having a good variety of different workouts is a must if your schedule is going to be a bit unpredictable. That way, you can find something short when you don't have a lot of time, or something a bit longer when you're able to. And find something you really enjoy!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favorite run time is 10pm. Moonlit runs by the lake...amazing! I also have all the night running gear you can imagine; all highly reflective, glow, LED flashing bit that I believe makes me visible from the space station. :wink: I am so NOT a morning person...I am definitely a night walker.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Used to be in the mornings but I've become lazy so now I work out in the evenings.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    Mornings. I set my alarm and put if far enough from my bed that in order to turn it off, I have to physically get up and move. Once I'm up, I generally have to use the restroom, so there's no excuse to just fall back into bed.

That, and there is ALWAYS an excuse after work to NOT work out.

I think you just gave me the brilliant idea of how I can get myself up and to the gym! Thanks!
  • Dreamingallday
    Options
    I work shifts, so whenever I can. Mornings, afternoons, evenings... whenever I can get them in.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Walks during work - weights after.
  • tamidav
    tamidav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I live in the country and it takes 30 minutes to get to my gym so I find that I mostly work out after work. If I could find the motivation and energy to get up and drive to the gym at 4:30 I would. It is still my goal.:smile::smile:
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do P90x3 in the morning before work then when I get home from work I do a Body Beast work out.
  • Nikkibelle1
    Options
    I just started doing lunchtime workouts. My company provides a gym downstairs free of charge to employees so before I eat my lunch I go down and do 30 minutes on the elliptical. I don't have to wake up early just to get a workout in and I don't have to fool with it after work. It's perfect!
  • candlechick27
    candlechick27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do after work during the week, otherwise I have to go to the gym and be home by the time the kids are up to get them ready. I cant just go straight to work from there. On the weekends, I usually go in the early afternoon, it is fairly quiet in there, and it is nice to workout in the day light. The gym I go to has huge windows, so it changes it up!!
  • bid1130
    bid1130 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I try to workout in the morning for a few reasons. I always feel more energized for the workday when I have a good workout in the morning. Another reason is when I workout in the morning, it doesn't take away from my family time in the evening. It makes for some really long days and short nights but if I can give my wife and daughter the time that they deserve then it makes it all worthwhile!!
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I try and mix it up - workdays mornings a couple of days a week, evenings otherwise. Weekends try and fit something in around family stuff, doesn't always happen! Feels good to know you have got some exercise in before the day really begins, otherwise I feel like I'm playing catching up with calories eaten all day.... and split sessions morning and evening are particularly beneficial if you are ramping up for something specific.
  • uthatswho
    Options
    Straight from work or it wouldn't happen.