1,200 or 1,500?

Options
Hi guys,

I can't decide on how many calories I should be aiming to net at each day. I usually burn around 300-600 calories a day and am trying to get back into shape for crew and trim down. I'm not sure what I should do because I would have to gain LEAN muscle if anything, because I'm a lightweight rower and need to be below 130 lbs, 126lbs preferably. I can't really bulk up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm 136 right now.

Thanks!
-Ella

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're not going to bulk up or gain any muscle on a 1200 or 1500 calories. Period. Either you want to lose fat or you want to gain muscle, but you can't do both at the same time. Figure out your TDEE and BMR and eat somewhere between that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I can't decide on how many calories I should be aiming to net at each day. I usually burn around 300-600 calories a day and am trying to get back into shape for crew and trim down. I'm not sure what I should do because I would have to gain LEAN muscle if anything, because I'm a lightweight rower and need to be below 130 lbs, 126lbs preferably. I can't really bulk up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm 136 right now.

Thanks!
    -Ella

Put your stats in MFP, put goal at 1/2lb a week and eat those calories...that's what this site does to make it easy for you.

Esp since you only have 10lbs to lose. And I would start resistence training..either body weight or lifting weights...that will trim you down and make you stronger for crew without "bulking" you up.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Muscle is always lean, but like the other poster said if you're not eating at a surplus you don't need to worry about gaining any.
  • Glutenfreefitness
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    For what you'll be doing - I'd go with cardio/ weights training on 1500/day. And eating back your workout calories.

(Former lightweight rower here.)