Walking with fitbit

Options
I've decided to add walking into my daily routine. we just had about 10 inches of snow last night so I resorted to walking circles (large circles lol) in my basement- a whole mile worth. I'm off today and tomorrow and usually have 11,000 + steps for the day when I work (I'm a nurse). My question is: does fitbit calculate more calories burned when it's a continuous walk? I walked 25 minutes straight so that would burn More calories than just walking a few minutes here and there, right? Just curious. I'm pretty sure basement walking will bet new norm lol

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I think some of the calorie burn is dependent on how fast you are walking. I know that I walk faster when I am walking for the sake of exercise versus when I am just puttering around the house doing my normal thing.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Fitbit probably wouldn't in particular give you more calories burned if you walked 40 minutes straight vs. two 20 minute sessions.

And actually, I'd think lots of starts and stops burns more calories, since once you're up to speed you have momentum working in your favor to reduce calories burned per step.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Haha, indoor walking is a thing at our house too. We have a continuous loop from the dining room through the kitchen, through the edge of living room, back to dining room. We call it "walking round and round" ;) I also do a big loop of the office floor here at work (desk job)...trying to be inconspicuous trying to get more steps in! I do this several times during the work day. I call that "taking a lap" :D
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The thing I find about my fitbit and "nonfitness walking" is yes, I get a little less credit for it. When I'm taking an actual walk, I move pretty purposefully, even though I don't go more than 3 mph. I don't know if you have a fitbit that is worn on the wrist or not, but mine is on my wrist. So if my hands are busy (particularly if I am holding something in my fitbit hand: a bag, a clipboard, the handle of a cart, etc.), the device registers less extreme movement and I get less walking credit.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've found that I get a bigger adjustment when I have more "active minutes" in the day, no matter how consecutive those minutes are. I walk on a treadmill at lunch during the week to try to get my 10K steps (desk job). But a busy weekend day, even under 10K, usually results in more calories burned.